Experiences of my labor

Discussion in 'Baby Names & Birth Announcements' started by ptamil2007, Feb 22, 2008.

1. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

I wanted to share this information with you all, will be a looong post, take time to read Big Laugh

I was due on 13th Feb, til14 th Feb no sign of labor. On 14th morning, I had bleeding so we went to the hospital, there they did the checkup and said that I am losing water, so they took blood sample to check for infection. and asked to come the next day morning for labor to be induced. I never took this so seriously. I said ok and came home, we were talking and playing monopol games, watched Friends serial. I never took that the next day is going to be THE day for me :)

My mom is here with me and she has been tensed all throughout and I was like Why are you so tensed?..

We went to the hospital next day and they did the checkup again and gave quarter of a pill at 10.30 am. I asked her if I can go home and come back. She said no you have to be in the hospital. I was given a room and food etc..
    We were waiting in the hospital, my MIL spoke to me and she also assured me that everything will be alright...
    Till then I never understood the intensity of labor pain. I was eating food at 4 pm when suddenly pain started I rushed to the bathroom and saw that the water broke completely.

The midwife put a CTG scan, checked everything and gave me enema.
    By this time the contractions were coming at 5 mins. That itself I thought is so painful. I hardly knew 'more is to come'...

By 6.30 I started screaming in pain and I was sent to the labor room. When I entered the labor room I felt a sense of fear. I didnt know what and why, but I was really scared and I knew I wasnt ready for this in mind.

After that I just knew nothing but pain, with every contraction I was screaming louder and louder.

The doctor came and gave a local anaesthesia and said that it could last from 30 mins to 2 hours. It did take effect and I relaxed thinking that by the time anasthesia goes away, labor will be over.. :crazy

The opposite happened, the anathesia worked only half an hour for me and I was just 5 cms dilated till then. Which means I asked I am only half way through labor ??:spin :spin

Believe me, my DH was so so very co-operative and supportive, I was literally hurting him everytime contractions were increasing.

I finally asked for epidurals and the doctor came in to give it. The process of giving epidurals along with the contraction pain was increasingly horrible.
    But all in vain, even after trying three times to give epidurals, it did not work for me.
    I got dizziness and breathlessness becoz of it, but the pain did not reduce.
    The doctor said epidurals did not work out for me and that more cannot be given.
    Thats it....I am back to the same place with more pain becoz of giving epidurals.

Suddenly baby's heart beat dropped and the doctor said he has to do some test to check the acid levels of the baby. My husband was in almost tears when he heard that baby's heart beat is going down. I could feel what was going around me but I could do nothing...

The doctor did the test and assured that baby is alright and in sometime its heart beat came back to normal.

By this time I was 8 cm dilated and the doctor gave me local anasthesia once again. This time it did work a bit, but soon I started getting the pressure. It was now 10 pm.

The baby had started descending, pressure was increasing but I was only 9 cm dilated. So no point in starting to push.

by 10.40 pm, I was completely dilated and the midwife now said you can start pushing with every contraction.

I really did the push sincerely, one reason I was now completely done with the labor pain and the other is the anxiety to see the baby.

After an hour of pushing at quarter to midnight, the little one made its GRAND ENTRY.

Epsiotomy had to be done since the head wasnt coming out completely. That pain hardly mattered to me then since I was all set to bring the baby out

When the baby came,the mid wife said ITS A BOY!!!!

I started sobbing in happiness, all the pain just vanished. I could hear his cry, they cleaned him quickly and put him on my chest and there the little one was lying calmly on my chest. ITS such A GREAT JOY, I did understand what it means to give birth.

Hats of to all moms, its really a best gift of all...:hatsoff:hatsoff:hatsoff

1 person likes this.

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations on your baby!!
    I will write mine in detail later.....

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

True indeed, Pavi! nurturing a baby inside the womb and then bringing it safely into the world...all miracles of God and a treasured gift to every mother:) My husband wasn't there in India when I delivered (the baby came a week before). Reading your experience I remembered my own labor... on a monday morning when i went for regular check-up the doctor said i was already 4 cms dilated and asked if I wanted to stay back in the hospital. I felt a lump in my throat... i realised then that I was never really prepared for this moment. I said if she thought it was still safe I'd like to go back home... she said I'll probably have bleeding that night else to get admitted on Tuesday. Around 8 pm after dinner i started getting something like menstrual cramps. Then the mucous plug came out with some bleeding. I called the doctor and she said i can come when the contractions start or the water bag breaks. Around 4 tuesday morning i started contracting... every 10 minutes. then my mom got ready with horlicks, hot water, bread, prayers etc., and my brother dropped us off at the hospital. The doctor came in and checked (internal at that time was horrrrible!). She said i could lie down in the room and have something to drink and couple of slices of bread before 9 am. So by 9 am the assistant checked and asked the nurses to give me enema... oh my that's was sooooo painful. i was begging them to stop. i was then shifted to a room next to the labor room (my room was upstairs). i had contractions in my tummy as well as backache..... alternatively. the backache was the most unbearable. by 2 i felt sudden increase in pain and water bag broke. doctor checked and said the liquid was green in colour and the baby might have pooed. She asked if i'd like to wait for normal (i was then 8 cms dilated) or proceed with c-section. i was totally confused. my mom asked her to cut me open:) so i was taken to OP, given epidural (oh thank God) and my boy was taken out of my womb at 2.37... i could hear him chuckle and then he started to cry... i was overcome with so many emotions.. i missed my husband, i wanted to see my mom immediately and thank her for everything (when i was born she was in labor for more than 2 days). i'll never forget when i first saw my boy... cleaned and eyes closed... he was so beautiful. when he suckled the first time... i could feel the motherly feeling gushing in me. oh i'm so glad to go through it again this summer... take care, Pavithra! Latha

4. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

It was overwhelming to read your birth story latha...All the best for the coming little one...

Everytime I used to see some birth video I used to cry when the baby came out.
    When I posted mine tears was in my eyes. When I read yours again now I feel a sense of happiness

5. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

That was really beautiful ptamil & latha. Both your experiences will help me prepare myself mentally for all that pain. But in spite of all that pain and discomfort, I guess it must be a really wonderful experience to bring forth the little one into the world. Just this morning, I was seeing a delivery video and almost crying when the baby was delivered. Reading your posts have again made me emotional and am waiting for the day when my little one will arrive.

Smiles,
    Radhika.

6. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

All the best Radhika.
    Believe me, all the pain and discomfort will vanish immediately you see the tiny little one. Its a wonderful feeling altogether. I felt so happy to be a woman and attain motherhood

7. JayaJ

JayaJ Senior IL'ite

WOW! Congratulations!!!
    Good to hear the baby and your doing fine now. Motherhood is a wonderful and beautiful phase which you will experience for the next 3 years.
    Babies are the best gift to us mothers.

Take care and give my love to the lil one.
    JJ

8. manisha13

manisha13 New IL'ite

hello ptamil
    congrtulations!!!!....that's wonderful news,may God shower all his blessings on the little one.....i am due end of june,and as radhee wrote, ur and latha's post has really helped me as well a lot to prepare mentally,as this is my first baby.......i am really looking forward to bring my little one into this world,and i am sure once i hold my baby close to my heart,i will forget all the pain.....
    take good care of yourself and ur cutie-pie.
    manisha

9. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

All the best manisha.

Take care of yourself and be happy.