Need a mid-range jewellery shop?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by satin, Mar 18, 2012.

1. aarth0203

aarth0203 Silver IL'ite

Rakhii, I bought all my jewellery for wedding in GRT. Most of my jewellery I purchased after my wedding is from Saravana Stores or Jayachandran Jewelelrs as suggested by my DH and MIL. Being born and brought up in Chennai I never liked these 2 stores and was a bit hesitant. But the explanation my DH gave was very satisfactory and convincing. What he said is

1. All jewelleries sell 916 or hall mark jewellery, so there is no compromise in quality. I have exchanged GRT jewels in saravana and viceversa, was offered same price. So one more assurance for quality
    2. Gold rate is fixed internationally and nothing can be manipulated by these jewellers
    3. If we buy jewellery in Saravana Stores or Jayachandran the rate is as per the rate card. Wastage, weight, making charge everything mentioned in the card. They will not reduce even one rupee from that, so this way I am assured I am paying the right price, nothing less or nothing more.In GRT though there is a rate card, salesman will mention one price, if we speak to manager he will reduce (mostly on wastage and making charge) some more and speak to the owner he will reduce some more. So I know I am paying more price as no jeweller will less for loss.
    4. If you compare wastage and making charge GRT is very high when compared with these 2 stores.

Having said all that I admit that these 2 shops cannot match GRT when it comes to variety and designs. Platinum and diamond collections are best in GRT, so what my DH usually does is we go to Saravana see the same product get an approximate idea on the making charge, wastage and negotiate accordingly in GRT. All my platinum and diamond jewellery bought after wedding is from GRT as I was not convinced with designs in Saravana.

Recently I bought some jewellery in Lalitha and I observed they also charge very less on wastage and making charge and do not reduce even one rupee. Hope my post is helpful :)

2. aarth0203

aarth0203 Silver IL'ite

Rakhii, I bought all my jewellery for wedding in GRT. Most of my jewellery I purchased after my wedding is from Saravana Stores or Jayachandran Jewelelrs as suggested by my DH and MIL. Being born and brought up in Chennai I never liked these 2 stores and was a bit hesitant. But the explanation my DH gave was very satisfactory and convincing. What he said is

1. All jewelleries sell 916 or hall mark jewellery, so there is no compromise in quality. I have exchanged GRT jewels in saravana and viceversa, was offered same price. So one more assurance for quality
    2. Gold rate is fixed internationally and nothing can be manipulated by these jewellers
    3. If we buy jewellery in Saravana Stores or Jayachandran the rate is as per the rate card. Wastage, weight, making charge everything mentioned in the card. They will not reduce even one rupee from that, so this way I am assured I am paying the right price, nothing less or nothing more.In GRT though there is a rate card, salesman will mention one price, if we speak to manager he will reduce (mostly on wastage and making charge) some more and speak to the owner he will reduce some more. So I know I am paying more price as no jeweller will less for loss.
    4. If you compare wastage and making charge GRT is very high when compared with these 2 stores.

Having said all that I admit that these 2 shops cannot match GRT when it comes to variety and designs. Platinum and diamond collections are best in GRT, so what my DH usually does is we go to Saravana see the same product get an approximate idea on the making charge, wastage and negotiate accordingly in GRT. All my platinum and diamond jewellery bought after wedding is from GRT as I was not convinced with designs in Saravana.

Recently I bought some jewellery in Lalitha and I observed they also charge very less on wastage and making charge and do not reduce even one rupee. Hope my post is helpful :)

3. vijiaushwini

vijiaushwini Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

I went to Tanisq today bought 50 gm of daily wear chain, marked as 16.5% as wastage. They charged me 1% vat. Whereas the same designs come for less than 8% wastage in Saravana, Jeyachandran, or in Lalitha.

These people claim that theirs is the best gold in the whole jewellery shop. I submitted 60gm old jewellery from Saravana Stores. They said their quality of 916 is questionable so they would melt and then only assure the quality using karatmeter. I gave permission for melting, they said they would reduce 5% as melting charge for gold from other stores.

After melting, OMG, the Saravana Stores Gold was 91.8% purity....the salesman's face fell with shame as he claimed that the quality of Saravana Stores is questionable. So in Tanisq, not only we pay high wastage charges, but also they reduce your old gold's price by charging 5% wastage charges.

I calculated roughly If i would have gone to purchase gold in Saravana stores itself, he would have given me 8% wastage alone and I would have saved on wastage on new gold ((16.5-6)%+1% vat) as well on the old gold (5%).

It is a big cheating by claiming that theirs is only pure and rare. The same pattern of cheating can be seen in MNC jewellery shops like Joyallukkas too. GRT we know it is prevalent ubiquitously since beginning.

Dear members, be assured Saravana Stores and Jeyachandran jewellery also carry good 916 hallmarked jewellery and I have tested it every time in Tanisq Karatmeter. It is just the marketing skills of GRT, Tanisq, and Joyallukas that cheat the customers and relieve of our hard-earned pennies in the form of wastages.

I calculated approximately, in terms of Saravana stores for the jewellery i bought for 16.5% wastage the actual wastage i incurred in terms of vat and old jewellery wastage comes to net wastage of 20% total wastage.

Why lose money on wastage when we get the same 916 gold everywhere even for less wastage.

This wastage is charged to meet their huge empty showrooms, security charges, etc.

I felt really depressed for some time for having lost around 35K on wastage for buying 50 gm of gold. If would have bought the same in Saravana or Jeyachandran, I could have bought 5 more gm of gold.

Do check your gold bought in Saravana in Tanisq's Karatmeter to believe me...
    you would agree with me that the questionable purity of Saravana and Jeyachandran is just a myth...

If u talk about designs I agree, Tanisq and other MNC jewellery shops have unique designs...

4. dhanasathesh

dhanasathesh New IL'ite

Lalita jeweller giving less wastage, but I had a bad experience with them. I bought a thali chain for 5 pawns there and it got cut into two half with in 2 weeks. I went for replace it, but they refused to do it... Also their designs ans customer service is poor.. It's my personal experience only....

5. dhanasathesh

dhanasathesh New IL'ite

I totally agree with aarth0203...

In saravana stores even they are giving more value for when you exchange 916 gold. They used to give discount price for each gram in new jewels too. I heard from one of my friend (she always do research before buying anything) that she tested saravana stores jewels with her relative, who is a jewel maker and the purity is 98%. Even I heard that saravana stores in usman road has variety of designs nowadays....

I hate the way of selling jewels in GRT, like asking one by one to reduce the price. I experienced it twice, so I totally hate that shop...

The above said are happened almost 2 years back, don't know about now. So that I created a new thread earlier this morning. Anyway thanks a lot for vijiaushwini for bringing this thread up...

Best regards,
    Dhana Sathesh

1 person likes this.
  6. mazhaikatru

mazhaikatru New IL'ite

Oh...shocking to hear about Saravana stores on gold purchase. Its hard to trust the sellers nowadays with gold price increasing. No wonder peope buy in dubai.

7. angelvoice

angelvoice Gold IL'ite

i was also confused how can gold be of different quality when hallmarking is a must...
    i don't think the orange hue comes from copper.. it comes from polish...