1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Drama at wedding.... Sorry for long post..

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Hopeforbest58, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Hopeforbest58

Hopeforbest58 New IL'ite

Friends,
    Sharing this incident with you happened a few months befor when went back
    Home India for sis wedding...Since then relations with mil are so strained that it has affected my relations with Dh too. So sorry fr long post but jus want to make my heart light.

My sis while working overseas met her life partner ( earlier childhood frnd)
    N all in family excited for the d day of wedding were all set to celebrate.
    Me n kids too flew down to India to help for wedding preparations a week b4 wedding.
    Mom had already invited everyone in list incl my mil personally gifting with special saree. She invited guests which my parents n Sis thought were close. However from the day my hubby landed my mil started sending msgs thr him asking for wedding cards to invite guests from my in law side.
    My parents were bit furious with this intervention ignored it so did I as all the preparations as per invitee list n budget was already set.

A day before wedding for one function as invited she came at parents home along with uninvited relative. Since the house was full of guests n ppl from sis' groom side started pouring in there was space shortage . Amongst them there was one handicapped and two elderly ladies in their 80s. To give them space I requested my mil to shift to other room for some time and after making space called her n the guest again...
    She was perfectly ok with it that time. Once function was over however she conveyed thr Dh next day the wedding day that I insulted her n the guest. I was totally dressed n decked up all excited for wedding n hearing this tears rolled down my eyes. my mind was clear with no intentions on insulting...my parents n some relatives who witnessed knew the fact. I immediately called her to apologize for misunderstanding n pleaded her to come but she gave excuses that she is unwell n can't come. My parents too tried to convince her but she said FIL will be thr to attend. I was shocked to see my Fil reached with some uninvited guests...n felt embarrassed in front of my parents. I was fed of giving excuses to all guess came over answering why MIL didn't come n gossiping spread all over place by the end of the day spoiling my n my parents mood. My Dh was too upset but was acting helpless as he didn't want to hurt his mom' feeling...I felt her behavior so Immature that I totally avoided the topic discussing with her or anyone except Dh .

On top that she conveyed MSG again Dh to attend wedding of some distant family frnd with her as now she was perfectly fine in a day. Of course I was so angry that I gave excuse sweetly that I m too tired due to wedding previous day n with guests still at home.
    Anyways I tried to 4get the memories while left India after few days,
    But cant 4get how badly my parents are hurt that they hv even declared that
    They will nt invite her for any family functions as god knows due to which reasons her ego will hurt n will spoil their mood their events
    While Dh with his silent treatment giving all guilt feeling to me. I
    Feel totally trapped n can see sour relations betn parents n in laws.

2. DrKadambari

DrKadambari Gold IL'ite

Well some people are there just to spoil the occasion and your MIL joins that category. Its no big deal she attends or does not attend the wedding, after all its not her son's wedding, dont even think of it. Actually you should not have bothered about it right at the wedding itself. IF she comes, let her else I dont care attitude should have been there for you and your parents. About your relatives gossipping you should have said her dam is open she has got loose motions...

Next I dont know if getting one more person along with her for the wedding was such a big deal at all.. same with FIL was it a big deal getting someone along. I dont know why it bothered you so much, yes I agree she asking cards to invite her relatives was something stupid.

And about your parents saying they will not invite her for any family occasion, probably they told it when they were angry. You parents should have told you not to make a big deal of what your MIL did and just ignore her, she doesnot come she doesnot. Out of respect they invite, she does not then there is no loss.

Ignore your husband, just stay un-noticed. Never open topic unless he burst out.

1 person likes this.
  3. jive

jive Junior IL'ite

My friend had a big drama in her wedding when her husband was sitting behind his mom and uncles, my friend went to invite them for Nalangu and they asked her to sing. She didn't feel like singing so they said they wont come down. How preposterous is that?? Such a mamas boy in an arranged marriage! They also complained about the size of laddoos being small. Ridiculous I know!!

4. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Was their behaviour atrocious? Yes
    Is this kind of behaviour considered acceptable in India? Yes
    Can you change anything? NO
    Pathetic, I have to say. The whole wedding system is quite disgusting IMO. Why did your parents have to invite your PILs' relatives? Why your PIL had to bring uninvited guests and create a scene? The answer is this is how it is. In Indian weddings, the invitation has to go to all the most distant relatives, Ils of all family members, relatives of all the ILs... And then we crib about Indian weddings being so wasteful and the woes of the brides parents and why people don't want a girl child and why a girl child is being killed...
    What you did was right. You did all you could do without bending backwards. Now, don't feel bad. Don't worry about your parents and PILs' relationship going bad. Maintaining good relationship is your PILs' responsibility too. Just stand your ground. You and your parents did nothing wrong and you are not guilty.

2 people like this.
  5. sowmyaram

sowmyaram Senior IL'ite

I've some questions for you... Did you ever let know ur mil that your sis's marriage is a budget marriage? Or did you say that it is a grand scale marriage....? Why didn't you explain her that invitees are from first circle only if its budget marriage.... Why did you ignore her when she asked cards atleast you should have explained things to your dh and he would have conveyed out to her ... did you do that? ... And she didn't bring any unknown person to wedding right? They are your relatives as well.... Why were you so disappointed with mil for bringing them.... And I agree if the number of uninvited guests is more than 25-30 then it'll definitely bother the host of wedding anything less than 10 can always be ok for any wedding.... Why were your parents so disappointed and took that decision of not inviting her hence forth? Didn't you feel that one important person of "your family" will be left out... did you really explain her why you were asking her to go out of that place before making space for others? Phys very common to demand some special treatment from dil did thou do that atleast for namesake....though we are in our parents place we still remain dils of our mils its our duty to be always on guard.... Whatever happened is happened... Why don't you speak and sort out with every one.... You need everyone both are your family.... Sorry for long post and if I've hurt you... This is what I felt after reading your post....

4 people like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sowmyaram's post above has some valid questions for you to ponder over and decide future actions.
    So, guests were all sitting around in a room, out of those guests you requested your MIL and her uninvited relative to temporarily move to another room, while you made space in this room? Did you ask any other guests also to move to another room while you made space? Earlier, what was your reaction when MIL showed up with uninvited guest? Were you the gracious host, or did you show your displeasure in some way, by say, facial expressions or being "busy" with arrangements? How many extra guests did your MIL want to invite? I am only playing the devil's advocate here, but there is an expectation in Indian functions to make in-laws feel special. If you choose not to follow this archaic protocol, there is a price to pay. that is how it is.

You seem to be trying hard to keep peace between multiple parties - your parents, your in-laws, your husband, and possibly your sister + her new family. Forget everybody, be a little individualistic. focus on yourself. You care most about your relationship with your husband. Iron out matters with him without accepting any blame. Without whining/nagging/cribbing, tell him that you both need to let parents sort out matters by themselves and not bring those issues between you and him.

7. Hopeforbest58

Hopeforbest58 New IL'ite

Thanks DRK feeling better reading your post. Guess we think alike.
    Uninvited guests bothered me may be coz I don't go anywhere as uninvited guest
    Nor I take anyone with me who is nt invited. So was wondering how can my own family member can do.
    Also even it's sis wedding it was budget of my retired parents who even when I offered financial help didn't take a single penny from me out of self respect. N during wedding I overheard discussion between parents n helping family friends that guest count at lunch counter increased than expected including obvious pinpointing at guests came with Fil...that hurt me more...

8. Hopeforbest58

Hopeforbest58 New IL'ite

Yes Monita, guess living abroad I forgot how Indian mindset works in weddings.
    Instead of enjoying and celebrating joy helping each other in such events - people try to pull each other and pamper their egos expecting royal treatment .
    Just being a Indian male's mother itself grants a lifetime of pride that all from girl' side has to take care of their ego leaving their joys aside . Thankfully I could see the diff in throughout functions n even after that how understanding My sis ' in laws were as they were treating the events as our event and making atmosphere friendly n light without any demands or expectations during wedding unlike during my wedding. In fact they were joking that we want to see you all happy as you will have enough brief that we are taking your daughter ( my sis) away from you as our own daughter.

1 person likes this.
  9. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

How many peole she brought in extra?? 50 or 100???

If this marriage was taken place in India,it was very common to see some univited guests during the wedding.I am not sure why your parents were surprised.

If this was taken place in US or UK,it was a different story.Were you parents live in India or they live outside of the India???

Trying to understand any cultural differences between your parents and your in-laws.

10. Hopeforbest58

Hopeforbest58 New IL'ite

Thanks SowmyaRam,
    me Not at all hurt with the interrogation :)
    All I can say is it was not my children' s wedding arranged by me n Dh where she has all Say n importance .
    It was event arranged by my parents and had full right whom to invite n whom to not. Yes the uninvited guests were relatives I knew from MilS side of course with whom my parents n sis were not knowing.
    Yes in anger my parents have said they will not invite her which I kno they can never do in reality but as formality not as before as imp family member whom they want to attend out of love n respect

Mil conveyed her hurt feeling thr Dh overtly she is behaving with me as if nothing has happened.
    So me too was conveyed my clarification thr Dh which she had got.
    Btw if any thing wrong hurting her ego is done by me with intention or not why the punishment to
    My parents who did nothing in fact were introducing her with me personally with the new family. Well I guess her expectations are some more.. N now thet really don't care abt it as they had enough of it during n even after my wedding

1 person likes this.