1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Navrathri day two !

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Chokkanayaki, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Chokkanayaki

Chokkanayaki Silver IL'ite

"WOW ! Not much progress," mumbled a beaming Pattu mami.The daily Navrathri Puja was taking up most of her time . :)

"Please the mother Goddess for nine days.Sing hymns in her praise and chant her divine name a thousand times," Ma would say.I listened to her in rapt attention as she rendered lovely musical compositions all in praise of the Divine Mother.

Ma was married on the 1st of September 1963.A petite newly wed Iyer dame fluent in English,Tamil.Telugu and Hindi travelled all the way from Secunderabad to her inlaws home in Calcutta.

As she stepped on Bhagirathi land,Subbu said "The Durga puja is approaching.This is the best time to be here in this City of Joy and I am sure you are going to enjoy every moment of your stay in this city."

Viji was not too sure though.She had her apprehensions.Yet ! slowly but surely she was getting involved in the Bengal culture.She was on a vacation,a tourist coz !Subbu would plan a daily itenary and take her in and around the city.

It was the month of October 1963.Puja frenzy had begun.The festivities were yet to begin but the mood palpable.:Localities were gearing up for the celebrations and Viji was wonderstruck.:partyIt was during the month that Subbu suddenly planned a trip to Kumartuli

Kumartuli is a potters village in northern Kolkata. By virtue of their artistic productions these potters have moved from obscurity to prominence. This Kolkata neighbourhood,supplies clay idols of Hindu gods and goddesses to pujas in Kolkata , its neighbourhoods and now all over the world. :hatsoff

Certain customs are observed while fashioning the clay idol of Durga. On the auspicious day of the Rath Yatra festival, clay is collected from the banks of the Ganga. . The entire process of idol-making, from the collection of clay to the final stages of decoration and ornamentation, is considered sacred.

Another important event is Chakkhu Daan, literally the donation of the eyes, which occurs on a special day when the artists paint the eyes on the face of the idol.

It seemed like a dream come true.The semi completed clay idols fascinated Viji.The deft nimble fingers that worked on the deities amazed her.She was bewildered at the sheer talent of a group of people......The clay idols were coming to life and it seemed like a trip to the abode of the Gods.

"Learn a lesson from the clay ," Ma would say."Life is not a bed of roses but you have the power to mould it as you wish.Lead a pious life and learn to be flexible.Our earth is rich in resources.They are not going to last forever if you exploit them.Try to be as eco friendly as possible.The Earth is sacred and worship Bhoomi Ma." she would go on....

"Decorate the Golu steps with mud and wooden dolls only.We rise from dust to go back to dust."she would repeatedly say.......and as I stared at a papier mache doll in my Golu today ,paper also eco friendly too , an inner voice seemed to question the same earthy sentiment.........& the story teller in me was searching for logical answers as a possible explanation ,for a break from convention and the gradual transition from Simple Steps to the Elevated Modern Day Thematic Golus....:exactly:

3 people like this.

2. AArchana

AArchana Gold IL'ite

That's so interesting Pattu maami..Papier mache dolls in golu...:thumbsup Something new maami..
    I'm interested to see your golu.. If possible please post pictures maami...

1 person likes this.
  3. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Chokkanayaki, I would live to attend your golu too. Thanks for sharing your experience of Durga Puja with us. Have a wonderful time.

1 person likes this.
  4. Chokkanayaki

Dear Archana,
    My Golu is a potpourri of dolls from all over the world....The colourful dolls bring great happiness and traditions apart,our festivals are celebrated in the spirit of gaiety ,as a means to spread cheer,and they create avenues for creativity too.....Pics will be posted soon ..Thank you :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Chokkanayaki

Dear Coffee lover,
    Thank you and wish you the same.Please do come...I will be delighted :)

6. mallikaah

mallikaah Bronze IL'ite

hi Chokkanayaki, It felt fantastic as I read through your post. the way you described our (KolKata) traditions encircling Durga Puja was fascinating.. Thanks a lot. Could u pls elaborate on what is a Navaratri Golu. I keep reading on it but do not know much. Will be delighted. Thanks :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Chokkanayaki

Dear Mallika,
    The navrathri Golu is a Tamil celebration.It begins on mahalaya and ends on Vijayadashami day.We invoke the blessings of Godesses Durga ,Lakshmi and Saraswathi....It is akin to the japanese festival of dolls.We arrange steps at home and decorate them with dolls of Gods and Godesses...and invite women and children...We also exchange gifts with the traditional pan,haldi ,kumkum and supari....:)

8. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi Chockkanayagi,

Username sounds interesting. I have fallen for your writing right from the one on Tambram (abt cooking ...). Loved your Navrathri day I and II narrations! By the way, where are your golu pics. I enjoy your hi sounding and aptly used vocabulary. Would only love to find more time for IL and grab many of the posts I miss due to my irregular attendance. Wish you a funfilled lovely time in IL dear as you seem to be a new entrant.

All the very best and kudos for your journey thus far in IL.

1 person likes this.
  9. Chokkanayaki

Thank you so much dear soldier......I am raring to go on and on these days.It is a pleasure to write and all the more destressing when an upper storey dictates and I use the keys....:)

10. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

The best time to visit Calcutta is during Durga Puja when the whole city takes on a new look with the most beautiful pandals and the spirit of Goddess Durga being present everywhere.. its interesting to note about the dolls and the eyes.. I recently saw Paper mache dolls with an unique paint finish closely resembling pottery dolls.. technology has come a long way.