Can non-brahmins keep Golu ?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by mallugal, Oct 8, 2012.

1. mallugal

mallugal Senior IL'ite

I dunno...for me that's not this is about. I have a little girl, 4 years old. We live in a remote typical American town...where the only fellow indians are my husbands collegues. The nearest indian grocery is about 30 min drive. Our nearest thing to a temple is a warehouse building with some idols of our gods. I donot want my daughter to grow up with no understanding about my faith. And I dont want her to relate it with the animated Gods tht we see in youtube. I do all the poojas starting with Gokulashtami, Varalekshmi , ganesh chathurthi....everything. Just so tht my kid understands everything about her faith and culture. It has nothing to do with punyam or mukti...I believe tht heaven and hell are right here on earth. :)

2. mallugal

mallugal Senior IL'ite

I dunno...for me that's not this is about. I have a little girl, 4 years old. We live in a remote typical American town...where the only fellow indians are my husbands collegues. The nearest indian grocery is about 30 min drive. Our nearest thing to a temple is a warehouse building with some idols of our gods. I donot want my daughter to grow up with no understanding about my faith. And I dont want her to relate it with the animated Gods tht we see in youtube. I do all the poojas starting with Gokulashtami, Varalekshmi , ganesh chathurthi....everything. Just so tht my kid understands everything about her faith and culture. It has nothing to do with punyam or mukti...I believe tht heaven and hell are right here on earth. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sam9san, i don't understand why the topic of permanent mukti comes into the topic of golu. i believe our elders had a vision when they formed all these festivals, be it any religion. but let us take hinduism, golu was a stage where you could show case your creativity, bring in the nuances of the culture, the artistic tendency. we are now flooded with entertainment modes.but earlier it was festivals like the navarathri and margazhi kutcheri that kept people entertained.

and mallugal did not ask if she will get mukti from keeping golu..and i am sure she is still young and wants to enjoy following something that is new..i don't find anything wrong in that..

and the only reason all of us asked her to check out with her elders, was human mind is very wavery. as long as everything goes right nobody says anything, if there was a untoward incident, the first thing that people point would be something new that was done..(in this instant the golu that is new to her.. )

P.S. no arguments with you. let us agree to disagree..

4. Topaz

Topaz Silver IL'ite

There is a tradition that must be followed like when marapachi bomai must be kept and when they must be put to sleep, etc. if you do not plan on keeping them, just keep the Padis and enjoy the nine days, also keep a smaller padi for your daughter to keep her dolls!

Do daily Arti and naivedym for Amman.......I think it should be fine and do post pics of your golu!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  5. sam9san

sam9san Gold IL'ite

I do not know what brought me here, Imitation is human , competition is a part of it, it grabs ignorant. Your daughter is in for more confusion then you are with 33 crores of Gods of Maya world. Move on from religion to Spirituality,KG to PG. You are in a intercast relationship this happens to most girls from Kerala. There is no need for any correction. Who weds whom it is divine dispensation, it has its past. Know that in Kali yuga most of the hindu practices are useless, waste of time , money and energy.
    It helps to show off How religious we are, inflame our Ego.
    Family traditions, wealth, strength, shastras, relatives, brothers, - none of these are useful to you at the time of death. Satguru is the only true Saviour. (188, Guru Gita) Shiva to Parvathi.:thumbsup
    You may see my other post in Religions and spirituality forum, I mean well.

6. mallugal

mallugal Senior IL'ite

Dear sam9san,

I had a simple question about the tradition of keeping Golu..so i posted it here. And the ladies here did helped me with their opinions. If you do not know details about me please dont make ideas by yourself. As easily you may assume..i do not have n inter-caste mariage. We both belong to the same caste...my husband was just born and brought up in Tamil Nadu. My MIL follows both Tamil and Kerala traditions and guides me to do the same. I appreciate that. And I do have her blessing when I do all these.

It doesnt have anything to do with show off...or ego. Show off what to whom ?? You do pooja in your home...let your kids participate in this..and hope they get a taste of what our traditiions are. And I do not see my kid having any confusion at all. I am happy to see my daughter talking Tamil and Malayalam with ease. And she loves to do all the poojas with me. As long as you have pure faith there is no room for confusion. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. mallugal

mallugal Senior IL'ite

Thank You Topa & Shanvi . Your words means a lot for me :)

8. vidhu63

vidhu63 Gold IL'ite

Hi Dear,

You want to do a good thing so nothing wrong, keep golu on Amavasai i.e. on 15th monday itself, prepare either sweets or sundal daily as neivedyam on de last day bommaya paduka vechutu next day wrap panni vechudu.

9. malaswami

malaswami Platinum IL'ite

There are some mythological significances of Golu as I understand.

a. The dolls depict Gods and Goddesses praying for Parvati Devi when she was doing penance for betraying Lord Shiva by attending the Daksha Yagna

b. The dolls represent the assembly of Durga Devi who killed the demon Mahishasura on Vijayadashami day

c. Above all, the Golu represents the spiritual truth of Sat-Chit-Anandam.

But becoz of this reason, Brahmins use to have Kolu at their home from time immemorial. But there is no rule where-so-ever in any of the sastras, that Non-Brahmins should not worship any God / Goddess.

If you are well aware of the traditions, and would like to follow worshipping God, please get details from your brahmin friends, and proceed with keeping Traditional Kolu, and get the divine blessings of Lord Shiva and Goddess Lalithambiga.

My vote for you :) GOD bless you Girl. !!!!!

10. sam9san

sam9san Gold IL'ite

SPIRITUAL GOAL OF MAN
    Spiritual goal of Human life is to seek liberation from rebirth. No rebirth, even after recreation of universe after great dissolution. Two choices before us, 1) Attain Jeevan muktha – Atmic awareness while living or 2) Attain permanent mukti at the end of life though being in this Illusion.

If thought, word and deeds are good no worship of deities needed. Nothing other than Naamasmaran will be effective in Kaliyuga. You pick a particular God you will reach their abode/Heaven.Just read the Devi Bhagavatham you know the curse of Gawthama Rishi on Bhramins and its effect seen even today. All cultures and civilisationd must evolve with time otherwise it will perish thats its nature. In sathya yuga it was thapas for thousans of years. In tertha yuga it was yagna, dwaper it was pooja. All this were effective in level with the purity of humanness of that yuga.

Gods and true Gurus of this world with their divine power can guide one, to reach Swarga-Heavens, if they are pleased but however, granting permanent salvation beyond great dissolution is not their strength.

Moksha moolam Guru kripa (Skanda Puran). Not ordinary Guru or Jagatguru but Satguru who can awaken the Adyatmic powers within you, who is above 33crors of Gods and Demi Gods of these three worlds of delusions and he does not identify with them, nor serves and neither despises them. He is here to take Souls to Amarlok the true home of Atmas. Faith and devotion to Satguru is Sathya Bhakti. Sathya Bhakti is Adyatmic Marga, path of permanent Mukti, it is different from Sagun, Adi bhowtik (worldly) and Nirgun, Adi Devik (siddi). Satguru Bhakti also free from religious dogma and dharma’s.

Time waste is life waste, prayers are due to unfulfilled wordly desires, so people go with a begging bowl to daties who seeks entertainment in return. Play of Maya world on Atma.:)

1 person likes this.