1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Saree Bags

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by gvi, Jan 29, 2008.

1. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    WOW!! A saree bag...
    I was not aware of this all these days bonk

Next time when I visit India, I will get for myself.

Thanks for posting this information.
    ~Punitha

2. gvi

gvi Senior IL'ite

Hi Vandhana

I asked my mom to look for the big ones like you mentioned with the partition she was not able to find out. Anyway she just looked in one shop so she will be looking around in more shops.

As you say the price is in the range you mentioned like 100 or so.

Thats a neat tip you mentioned abt packing the sarees when coming here. She is planning to bring 6/7 sarees in total. Rest she is planning to use mine.

Thanks
    Geetha

3. gvi

gvi Senior IL'ite

Hi Varloo

Thanks for your reply. Blouse bag thats interesting . I was thinking that I would store the blous along with the sarees in saree bag :idea. But good you told me about blouse bags. My mom is from T.Nagar and I went to Madras 2 years back . Dint see BB then.

Wanted to know if this the place you are refering to

Metroblogging Chennai: Big Bazaar at Chennai

Thanks
    Geetha

4. gvi

gvi Senior IL'ite

Thanks Chakra

Looks like the prices have increased now. My mom just enquired abt the prices and its in 100 Rs.range.

Geetha

5. anupama

anupama New IL'ite

hai all ,
    After i went through this thread, i enquried in saravana stores (opp to pothys), t.nagar. they have not only saree bags and blouse bags but also shirt bags and another one inwhich you can pack a full set (saree,blouse,finger rings, ear rings, bangles, lipstick etc etc and hang it in a wardrobe.)
    saree bag they have 3 varieties, one is with compartments ,to hold 10 sarees costs 280rs approx made of fabric, one is 140 made of fabric and little foam, the other one is fabric and polythene costs 88 rs.
    saree bag - 88 INR
    shirt bag - 104 INR
    blouse bag - 64 INR

jus bought one each to try. Thought will share with you all the price
    Regards,
    Anupama

6. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Anupama,

Thanks for the information. I am also having Shirt bags and soft jewellery bag.
    My cousin sister gifted those things to us. Strictly speaking, we must not store ‘pattu sarees’ in any bag. Whether it is cotton or plastic. While traveling, you can use these bags to keep your dresses in good way.
    In the saree bag you can keep your ironed sarees safely. But for regular use it is not advisable. Best way is ‘hangers’ you can put your saree in the hanger and its blouse on them. You can hang many hangers in your cub-board. This is applicable for salwar suits also. This is my opinion.

7. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

HI

You have saree bags, blouse bags ... i think these days most of the big malls have them too.

Y Nagar would be an ideal place.. but let her check out the quality.. some tend to give away soon..

cheers

Bhooma

8. anupama

anupama New IL'ite

Dear Krishnaamma,
    Thanks for your advise. The thing is i don't wear sarees often not even once in a month but i have plenty of them. but it happens so that i have to fold them atleast once in a month..since it jus flows from the place, especially the synthetic ones. and if i have them in a hanger also that happens. infact i am searching for a hanger with clip (like the ones in shops) but i also worry that i might spoil the sarees. most of them are given by people close to me so i don't want to loose them also.
    and blouse.. i iron them and keep it but exactly when i want to wear a saree.. either i will not find it or it will be crushed.. i also tried storing it along with the saree.. it didn't work...
    let me see.. i have to try these bags.. thats the reason y i bought only one..
    regards,
    Anupama

9. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

HI Anupama,
    In Mumbai u get hangers which have rubber casing so that clothes do not slip.Some of them are open from one end for easier removal i.e.like 1/2 a hanger.
    I have wrapped my aluminium hangers with satin ribbons so that sarees do not slip/also trousers etc.This requires one time effort but worth it
    Also shirts etc do not get stained if kept for long time.
    If u r interested I shall post more details
    Bye,
    Archana

10. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Krishnamma,
    I have heard that it is not advisable to keep pattu sarees on hangers. They should be covered with cotton cloth and stored in a wooden almirah and not iron almirah. They should be aired from time to time.They need air circulation to keep them in good condition. There was a programme on Jaya last week and a silk manufacturer talked in it. He said that we should always dry clean the silk sarees in a good shop. Washing at home makes the silk saree to shrink. Any info on that?