Information on dokra crafts

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by radhavj, Jun 12, 2012.

1. radhavj

radhavj Senior IL'ite

:thumbsupHI all, can anyone give me more information on Dokra items and where they r available and also get them on a wholesale basis
    thanking you and looking forward to hear from r freinds
    radha

2. Aparna77

Aparna77 Senior IL'ite

Dokra crafts originated in Bengal and slowly they spread to other states of Eastern India. The craftsmen use junk brass and use the famous lost wax process. My neighbur is quite a fan of dokra crafts. She orders via the website www.craftsvilla.com. She gets her dokra crafts from Anwesha Tribal Arts based in Bhubaneshwar, Orissa by ordering on this website. The products are innovative and prices are OK.

3. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

Hi
    I get dokra crafts from :
    Gayatri Arts & Crafts. Mr Uttam Chatterjee who is the owner of the firm.The adress is Satish Chandra Mukherjee Road,Debipark, W.Bengal. Ph : 033-32554440.
    Do take a chance.

4. shefalisingh

shefalisingh Senior IL'ite

Hi
    Since you are based in Bangalore, I suggest that you get in touch with Adroit Continental. The address is Adroit Continental, Sri Venkateshwara Arcade, Gagamahal Street no 1, Hyderabad.29. Phone no is +91-40-55833567. They have a very good collection of dokra crafts.

5. danielhuerta

danielhuerta New IL'ite

Dhokra Damar, a tribe native to West Bengal have been the finest metal-casters in India since ancient times. While the craft is predominant in Bengal, states such as Orissa, Madhya Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh too are centres of the craft. Dokra craft is over 4000-years-old art and its earliest signs were seen in the sculpture of a dancing girl found in the ruins of Mohenjadaro. Dokra artists use a very interesting method to cast metal into the craft, a technique that is known as ‘Cire Perdue’. Cire Perdue is further distinguished into two categories: ‘Solid-casting’ predominant in West-Bengal and ‘Hollow-casting’ predominant in the Central and Eastern states of India. The craft mainly involves creating sculptures of owls, horses, elephants, peacocks, religious images, measuring bowls and lamp caskets etc.