Can non-brahmins keep Golu ?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by mallugal, Oct 8, 2012.

1. mallugal

mallugal Senior IL'ite

Dear friends,

I am from Kerala married to a Tamil guy.My husband is from a non-brahmin community and I dunno anyone who keeps Navarathri Golu in his family. We live in US now...and I really want to have Golu tis year. I even bought some golu dolls fom my last India trip. I just want to clarify this, whether is it okay for m to start a golu tradition. Since we do Purattassi vratam our whole family is on a vegeterian diet for almost a month. Does anybody know anything about a bad effects if i do this. Please help me with this girls.

1 person likes this.

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

You can keep the golu. So what if your are not a Brahmin. I have seen few non Brahmin women are keeping golu. Those times, they don't even make eggs or bring meat inside the house. I live in San Jose and love to visit your golu if you invite me. It is all In Your mind. Enjoy!!!

3. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mallugal, keeping dolls during navarathri is the good practice and for some families it comes like an anchestral customs. Nothing wrong in starting the practice of keeping dolls, but please stick on it as it will increase the welfare of the family.
    Along with the dolls, try to do a little pooja on Saraswathi pooja with prasadam. May goddess durga, lakshmi, saraswathi bless you and your family.

4. mallugal

mallugal Senior IL'ite

Thank you Coffeelover and bhucat. Your words have helped me a lot. :)

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

mallugal,

there is nothing wrong in having a golu. though we are from the caste mentioned due to some reason long back we don't keep golu.. so it is preference and rituals that trickle down the years..

the only thing i would say is ask the permission of your family elders especially mil.. but the only thing you should assure is sanctity, continuity of pooja and neivedyam on all the nine days and to keep the tradition continued..you cannot start because you liked to do it this year and discontinue it next year...

all the best...

1 person likes this.
  6. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

mallugal, your spirit to keep the golu & determination to continue it is most important. Go ahead with your Golu celebration with the blessings of the elders in your family....:)

Avoid non-veg, onion & garlic and masala stuff during those 10 days. That's all! In any particular day if you are not able to offer any prepared neivedhyam you can offer some fruits.

Happy Navratri, Jai mata Di

7. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

My dear IL,

who can stop you if you want to be with the DIVINE. Your eagerness shows that the SUPREME GODDESS wants
    to be with you for NINE DAYS continuously. Proceed and do it immediately like a small cute girl SHE will be with
    you for NINE Days. TRUE PRAYERS DOES NOT HAVE BARRIGADES.

All the best,.

3 people like this.
  8. sumaramesh

sumaramesh New IL'ite

mallugal, there is no wrong in starting any new tradition, but only rule is you need to do it every year..

My mom doesnt do anything other than Varamahlakshmi..

But my in-laws do Gokulastami, Ganesha and golu, i started Gokulastami, Ganesha from 2 years.
    But Golu planning to start after few more years. (I work cant manage 9days)

9. sam9san

sam9san Gold IL'ite

:roll:Can Golu grant Permanent Mukti?:confused2:

10. mallugal

mallugal Senior IL'ite

Thank you all for the help. :) I really wanted to do this.