1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speech therapy advised for 2.8 yr old...pl help

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by ridgemma, Jul 5, 2012.

1. SM11870

SM11870 Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

I took my son to Dr Pragati jain as advised by Abhishek and she said that he needs therapy.Planning to meet someone in a week or two.
    Now that I have rejoined my office after a long gap,my in-laws have come to stay.He is enjoying their company and hardly needs me but he has forgotten whatever I taught him coz they are talking to him in our mother tongue but I always speak with him in English,I am worried that he is again confused with two-three languages but I don't know how to convince my in laws to speak with him in only English.

Teacher,
    Can u pls share some ideas on how to make him sit at one place and then teach.I followed what you asked ridge to do but I failed.He has a fixed methodology while playing or going anywhere and doesn't want any deviation.How to make him a slight inactive?

2. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

SM,

How long does he stay focussed? What exactly does he do when you sit downto play with him? What Is his schedule like and what time of the day do you spend time with him?

What was the dr.'s diagnosis? Has the speech therapist evaluated him and what goals (in which areas) will she start with?

R

3. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

4. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

I will ask around...

5. Kavita01

Kavita01 New IL'ite

Dear Friends,
    Can you please give me the details of speech therapist in Bangalore.My son has delayed in speech and sensory issues(mild).he goes ST and OT.we are visiting India during December. I want to try speech therapy in Bangalore.
    Please kindly suggest me the good therapist. i would like to hear your experience if you have tried any.
    thanks

6. bhappy

bhappy Silver IL'ite

My DD is exactly 2 yrs old and she is not calling me amma or anybody with their name. She says 1-8 and A-z. if i ask her to repeat certain words she will repeat it childish accent that too when she is in the mood. I try to read stories to her but she likes to sing and act out the rhymes only. Is this normal for a 2 yr old. She babbles a lotttttt. should i be concerned abt her ?

7. ksubasri

ksubasri Junior IL'ite

SRMC is good for Speech therapy, but we do not get experts treatment there since they all are intern students.
    For according to child s abililty , therapy is useful. if the child has more problem, we could not expect much improvement immedly. it 'll take time only. So you do your part well. Get the experts therapy sessions and work hard with the baby, again and again i am saying it s a long time process, take time. Work patienly. Take care

8. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

bhappy-is your child's non verbal communication meaningful? Does she point/use gestures appropriately? Does she respond to familiar directions (keep in mind she is young and may refuse to follow thru' when it doesn't interest her)? Talk to your pediatrician.

How about MERF? They have students as well but surely they have greater clinical supervision?

9. Visa13

Visa13 New IL'ite

Hi,

I can understand your problem. My daughter is 3 years old now. But she is not at all speaking. She will say only Amma, Appa. She will repeat everything by gestures when you ask (like body parts, tv, computer..everything). But not by any word. She is going to play school, but there she is not mingling with other kids. Teacher is telling like she is very silent, but if they ask to do something, she will do (Like stand, come, sit, eat..etc). She likes riding bicycle. She is operating computer, mouse, tv, mobile phones. When I ask this to doctor, he told like she is having autism features. I am taking her into a Occupational therapy (as they told she is having hyperactive and to increase the sitting tolerance before going for speech therapy). Please suggest some place for good speech therapy and how to handle this from my end. What are the initiative i need to take to improve her?

10. ashushekar

ashushekar New IL'ite

Hi friend,

Even my DD is also same but now little bit ok she takes more time to become normal as compare to other kids,
    to ask something she was questioning me if she wants water she was asking do u want water? but slowly she learnt but su su.... she wil never tel now she 2.10yrs old she is also very good in studies she learns very fast but physical activity is very slow i dnt know how to teach her toilet training.