Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 4)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Chitvish, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Varloo, you update so well,thanks :)

2. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Dear aunty,

Since I don't get samai here, can I just use thinai and make this adai? In which case should I put 2 portions of thinai and 1 of muzhu ulundhu or just do half-half? Yesterday for lunchbox made lemon rice with thinai (cooked in cooker). The millet fever is biting me high these days :) Still haven't had a chance to install your app, will do it this weekend and try to get going with all your millet recipes. BTW, have you tried using amaranth grains (they call it Rajgira or Rajgara in hindi). Its as superior as quinoa is in terms of protein. The indian store punjabi uncle told me that punjabi people use it on fasting days. Here they are selling both grains and ground powder. Want to try sometime adding the powder to parathas. If you happen to know any recipes do you mind sharing it with us.

Regards,
    Uma

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear C (got to know from the different posts that this is how you prefer to be called)

Tried nellai venthaya kal dosai. Came out perfectly. DD also liked it.

Thanks.

4. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

Dear C,

Hope you had a great holiday :). M wanted Dosai suddenly last night. I made Onion Oats Dosai. It came out super thin,crisp on sides, soft in the centre. Taste was super good, I just paired with Milagappodi. Lite on tummy too. Today made lapsi pongal and coconut chutney for breakfast. Lunch is Milagu kuzhambu, keerai masiyal, tomato rasam, ladies finger fry and vaddagam. Milagu kuzhambu's flavour was soooo good that my neighbour came and asked what am I making. It really long since I baked, planning to do tomorrow :)

5. Chitvish

\

Uma, me also "suffering from millet fever"" :biggrin2:

For both your queries, yes. @ thinai & one muzhu ulundu. You can also use thinai instead of rice in regular adai. App will give minimum 100 millet recipes!!

Yes, I am told amaranth, is, infact, more nuitritious than quinoa & is a product from the Himalayas!! I do buy the millet, but have tried only porridge with it. The flour is not, right now, available. Puffed amaranth, I use for directly mixing with warm milk & eating when sudden pangs of hunger strike!! I want to share more nrews.
    Parboiled varagarisi is available in organic Restore in Adyar specially for idli - dosai.

All TUCS now stock all millets under the famous brandname Parambaryam.

1 person likes this.
  6. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Dear chith
    Hope you are doing great.Writing after a long time.Ground ragi idli batter... supersoft idlis on day 1 and managed ragi dosa with drumstick leaves and onions on the second day.Absolutely loved it.:thumbsup
    Your guidance has given me confidence (as always) and I am experimenting with millets.. stretching a little bit of imagination now and then.:)

Had been to parents' place for a week recently... carried sample packets of all millets home and explained how it can be used and amma is now hooked on.:hiya
    Chith
    I have good news here.. rajgira flour is available in Nuts and Spices,g.n chetty road.I saw singoda (water chestnut),rajgira (amaranth) and kuttu (buckwheat) flours in 1/4 kg packets..

This is interesting.Will be on the lookout.This time my shop did not have millets.. he was pestering me to buy bar soaps.:rant

regards
    Sowmya

7. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Dear mami,

Made ShakkarPara after a very long time. I had tried it only once before, I think this time, it came perfect to the T, including measurements etc. Wanted to make something for DD to munch upon when she comes from school. She doesnt prefer bhakshanams like thenkozhal, thattai etc, prefers cookies/cakes etc which is why I always make from your cake n bake treasure trove. But she liked shakkar para last time when I made.

Also I made Brown sugar - Chocolate chip cookies my first trial. I dont know what is the mistake, the recipe says 140 deg c for 10-12mt, but it didnt get baked within that time. I had to keep it inside twice and bake 5 min each at 160 deg. Still it was very very fragile texture. Atleast it hardened. Earlier it was like soft maavu padam. Mami, is the recipe temp settings need to be corrected or some problem in the way I made? Second batch I baked for 20 min at 160 deg c. When I searched your other cookies recipes, majority were baked at 160 deg . Hence I tried that way, still I feel some problem with the texture, though taste was good. The brown sugar didnt get dissolved in the butter when I creamed it, unlike normal powdered sugar. So it went on spreading when I kept for baking. Normally my cookies have almost all times turned out to be good only, now this time, dont know where it went wrong. :hide:

Reading all recipes like thinai, varagu etc. I am tempted to buy/try atleast one. I have absolutely no exposure to these alternate rice substitutes . I dont even know how these look also, that much ignorant.

I copied the recipe names with hyperlinks from the recipe index, dont know why it is not appearing here!!

Love radhi

8. Magee

Magee Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

hi chitra amma,

there was a change t guest came for dinner and as they informed me day b4 night i changed the menu accordingly
    thair idly(CV recipe)
    cup idly surprise (CV recipe)
    wheat jaggery paniyarm (CV recipe)
    bread halwa (CV recipe)
    pasiparupu payasam (CV recipe)
    kuzha puttu
    veg cutlet (CV recipe)
    ghee rice
    nv gravy

they liked kuzhi panniyaram very much & they also wanted a pack of cup ildi surprise to thier home :)
    infact i am tring cup idli surprise, wheat paniyaram and bread halwa first time.
    payasm & bread halwa too a hit...
    they complimented that they never expected this super idli avatar.
    totally every thing turned yummy...thank u alot.
    i told abt u, they wanted to pass on their thanks to u.

1 person likes this.
  9. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Hi chithra mami,

I tried avial yesterday with carrots and little cocunut, it came out very well and the taste was exellent, thanks a lot.
    I have some doubts -
    1. I heard some people saying we should not combine brinjal with raw banana, is it true? pls explain.
    2. I have a huge lot of old puli (tamarind) with me, it is black in colour, can i just do the same process of tamarind paste and keep it refrigerate or any tips in using old black puli, pls suggest

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  10. Chitvish

Yes, my honey, millets become addictive!!
    My sister is doing wonders withit, including paniyaram!!
    There is a new nuts n spice near our house. Will lookout there.
    This time, from Akalpita, besides a 5 kgbag of organic chakki atta (more for breads), I ended up buying organic socks & small, cute hirtowel for Manas :biggrin2:

1 person likes this.