1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How to dispose old furniture?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Revathi, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Revathi

Revathi Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    Our sofa set in wornout condition,so Iam planning to buy new one.The most important thing is how to dispose the old one.Our trash removal company is asking around $300.My friends told me to contact Salvation army or Childrens cancer society.I am not sure whether they will accept it or not since they are old.Pl share your experiences with these people and give me some other options if you know.Thanks.

2. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Revathi,
    Paying $300 to dump the sofa in trash is ridiculous, you might as well buy a new sofa with this $300 :bonk. There might be some public trashes available, probably you can have some friends help you pick it and dump it there? Do check in salvation army or thrift store, though it might be old, they might be able to refurbish it a little and use it.

3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Revathi

Try to just clean the couch well (invest in some cleanex wipes or some fabric cleaner spray etc) and if its in ok shape, salvation army does take the stuff they actually come and pick up the stuff from your hosue for free of cost and will also give a receipt stating how much worth is the sofa...and this you can show as donations in your tax returns for next year.

1 person likes this.
  4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Toll free number for Salvation Army pickup: 1-800-SATRUCK. I just got an automated call this morning for my SA area and they are needing furniture and other items. Normally they don't call like this so my guess is that the recession/depression has made increased demand.

5. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You can also post this in Free-stuff section in Craigslist. They pick it up and do something with it.

There is also a yahoo groups called Freecycle. you can post it there as well.

6. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

You can post stuff that you want to get rid of in this site -

www.freecycle.org

You can post all the stuff you have to give away for free and people will contact you about it. It's a great site for items that won't go even on craigslist!!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  7. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

I do agree with our member about Craiglist is the best. If you know any students, ask them.

Good Luck

8. nehausa

nehausa Senior IL'ite

if i were you i will give it in salvation army i think they wont take wornout..

or contact your friend who lives in appartments renting ask her if she can help you throw it around her garbage and you are done previously in our rented appt tons of people came disposed free.

9. Revathi

Revathi Senior IL'ite

Hi All!
    My hearty thanks to everyone.I didnt expect these many immediate responses.I've decided to contact Salvation army for a pickup.Hope soon I'll dispose the old set and buy new one.Thanks again.

10. slevapaul

slevapaul New IL'ite

Thanks for sharing the nice information about disposing the old furniture. Most of the people wants to dispose their old furniture but it should be done in a step by step procedure.