Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 4)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Chitvish, Sep 14, 2010.

1. outofthebox

outofthebox Platinum IL'ite

Dear Chithra mami,

I have been a silent reader of your posts, and am totally awed by the 'n' number of recipes that you have posted...it will take more than a lifetime for me to even try it out once, and here you have presented so much...I remember my mother used to tell about the "samaithu paaru" book which they used to refer in their days of no technology, but now i think the younger generations like us can look upon your links as the "samaithu paaru" book!!! must thank the technology for the wonders it can do...

i must say that i could diferentiate dals properly only after marriage, but now somehow managed to pick up, and with your recipes as one of my guidelines, hope i can do something atleast in the art of cooking :) pls continue to inspire us!!

i was actually trying to search for "rice roti" from your posts, but i think i could not identify it.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...cipe-index-step-step-photos-2.html#post997088
    if you have posted it elsewhere, can you please let me know how to knead the dough to proper consistency ? yesterday, i followed some videos on the youtube by sanjeev kapoor, and it looked so simple that i had to add warm water to rice dough with a little salt, but yesterday when i tried out the same thing, firstly, dough did not seem to stick much as chapati dough,...but i think i expected this, as rice does not have that gluten....then when i followed rest of the instructions, the rice roti came as hard as a stone ! :-( :-( and i also read somewhere else that kneading of the dough is also important for the roti to come soft...sorry to bore here, but i hope you can help me out as to where i went wrong....just to let you know, this is the video that i followed...
    Khana Khazana- Rice Bhakri - YouTube &
    one more also i checked out just to have a look at the dough consistency :
    Tandlachi Bhakri (Rice roti) » Simple and easy Indian cooking videos, Indian Food, Maharashtrian Food

thanks !

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

3. outofthebox

outofthebox Platinum IL'ite

hi shanvy,

thanks for that link...had a look...i think it contains coconut and seems to be a speciality of Karnataka.
    the one i am looking for is a plain one, for which i have posted video links in my previous post. if you see those videos, they are handling that dough so easily and also rolling it very easily. but when i made it, it was not close to a dough also, so i kept adding water and flour, but was not sure of the correct consistency. and they are able to come up with a very soft roti also....so i can see that i went wrong somewhere in kneading the dough.....if you have tried or anyone else has, do share with me some tips to get it right....

4. Lakshmivinoth

Lakshmivinoth Senior IL'ite

Hello Chitra Maami

How are you? I am posting a request after a very long time. My hubby is requesting variety of chutneys and side dishes for dosas/idlies/Adais...I searched your forum for this but there are no exclusive thread for the same. If you have one, then kindly give me the link.

Thanks and eagerly waiting for your reply.

Regards

Lakshmi

5. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hi, I do not follow the You tube videos much. So, without any comparison, I request you to follow the recipe as per the link given by Shanvy. That is my method.

6. Chitvish

Hi Lakshmi,
    Not coming to IL for long, you have forgotten how to browse!! Please go to

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/49264-post12.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/49264-post12.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/49279-post14.html

1 person likes this.
  7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    the internet connection was playing hide and seek and the photos were in the camera and had to be imported. So it took a little while to post the photos. Here they are-
    first of the goodies-rasa vadai, dhokla,spicy masala dahi idli, moong dal halwa and the chutney, with the cake in the center.
    Second is the ice cream, vanilla and butter scotch.

Attached Files:

12 people like this.
  8. Lakshmivinoth

Lakshmivinoth Senior IL'ite

Thank You so so much Chithra Maami. Wonder how did I missed it.

I agree I was not very active here...but trying my best to be active. Remember My Son Vaideesh? He's 6 yrs old and my daughter (Vishali) is 9 mths old now. My hands are full with them. And I am working from home now...Trying to organise myself to the maximum possible but Failing...But I will never give up :). Its high time I try out new recipes and your forum is the only source I trust and believe...:). I will try some recipes and post comments here. Thanks once again :)

I have another silly querry...please dont mind. I dont have a microwave at home but want to buy one mainly to experiment quick and jiffy cooking. I have seen many of your MV recipies and I am despirate to try them. What all the features should I consider before buying a MV so that I can try your MV recipes?

I am really sorry to trouble you...but please help.

9. Chitvish

Varloo, needless to say that all items look delicious!! :tingue
    Only extra rasam is missing in rasa vadai!!!

10. Chitvish

No problem, Lakshmi. I know how busy a young mother with toddlers will be.
    If it is ONLY COOKING, buyone with only MW mode. No grill, convectionetc. Later on, if you feel like it, you can graduate!!