1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning furniture

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Rajee3181, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Rajee3181

Rajee3181 New IL'ite

Hi All,

cleaning furniture is a big hassle. it takes a lot of time to clean each and every surface. Here are a few things that i do to keep my furniture/furnishing look good...

- for wooden furniture, clean atleast once a week - dust it with a dust cloth first and then clean/dust all grues, edges etc with flat paint brushes. Then you can use a cloth moisted with a few drops of coconut oil to wipe the surface. this gives a fresh varnish look

- for glass items, i tried colin and wiping.. but it is very expensive,especially if you have glass windows,doors and such big surfaces.. instead take a bottle with spray nozzle. mix a few drops of shampo in water and fill the sprayer. spray the solution on the glass /mirror and use a thin rubber wiper that is available in markets these days to wipe it away. The glass/mirror surface shines instantly

- for cleaning brass vases, i think pithambari is the best. if possible, put brass items in aglass enclosure, the polish stays for atleast 6 months..

1 person likes this.

2. clkalyani

clkalyani New IL'ite

Nice tips...

From my side...

1. Keep old BW newspapers handy. they can be used effectively for cleening glass tops, windows and mirrors.

2. To clean silver ware (the dark layer that forms over time). First wash off all grease and dust using the regular soap or dish wash liquid. Lay aluminium foil in a plastic bowl and place the item on it. Wearing protective gloves, dissolve half a cup of sodium carbonate (washing soda) in four cups of very hot water and pour it over the item. The solution will bubble as the corrosion is transferred chemically from the object to the aluminium (remember, their is no transfer of silver or loss of silver. I am a chemistry student and I can guarentee that.). After a minute or two, remove the object from the solution using wooden tongs or a wooden spoon and rinse it under hot water, dry and burnish it immediately. This dip can also be used for copper and brass but do not clean different metals in the same dip and never dip inlaid or enamelled pieces.

3. Rajee3181

Rajee3181 New IL'ite

wow! i am sure going to try this on my silver ware. Thanks!

4. slevapaul

slevapaul New IL'ite

Well said. Cleaning the furniture is not an easy task, it needs high attention and the more interest to do it. Thanks for sharing the nice tips for cleaning the furniture, hope it is useful for all.