1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Little tensed traveling with a 3 yr old son from Chicago to India first time

Discussion in 'Indians in Chicago' started by kirthi82, Oct 1, 2012.

1. kirthi82

kirthi82 Gold IL'ite

Coming nov or December planning for a vacation to India with my 3 yr old naughty son for first time.my husband saying it is easy one,no problem at all. But ,according to me my first problem is making my son to sit in one place for long time and keep him engaged. In home ,not even 10 min he will sit in one place.think about in flight:spin ... I reads some ideas from net to keep kids occupied like giving crayon to paint,taking play dough to make shapes, reading book which are fav.... The truth is ,my son don't like any of this. He like only cars,cars,cars. He love cars movie,ice age and toy story.thats it. One more concern is,taking my son to correct terminal to catch connecting flight. He generally don't like sitting in stroller.if I make him walk,he will ran away,which makes me more tense to catch him and take him to correct place.:rant please someone give me idea or personal experience what you did from airport entrance to landding in India....

2. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

Have iPad with his fav apps or take along a portable DVD player along with his fav DVDs.

3. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

you can explain him and tell if he run here and there you cant catch him i think 3yrs old son can understand

4. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    buy some small small new toys which he might like. Dont show these toys before journey. He may find it excited to get new toys. so he can sit at one place.

5. HasiniS

HasiniS Gold IL'ite

Dear Kirthi

I can understand how you exactly feel .. My son will be three this Jan and he is so unmanageable ... I have tried all tricks like time out, talking to him politely, some times raising my voice .... But nothing seems to work ... and on top of it I am travelling from SG to India and India to London in a couple of days ... I am tensed too ..For my Son only distraction works .. I am lucky if he gets distracted with the new toy or new video I play ... And when it comes to meal times ... Its almost terrible .. He wont eat ... I have to again distract and feed him .. I am not with this technique .. I know its wrong .. But I am unable to see him starving ... So I sometimes do it .. But now he is grown up and doesnt allow me to feed him by distracting ... SO its like if he is in the mood and very damn hungry he manages to eat ... Or bad luck ... How does your kid be in meal times ... When we go out only my husband manages to take care of him .. I cant run behind him .... Sorry ... You asked for help and I am asking you help .. Thought you would understand my situation as our kids are similar :)

6. marina20

marina20 Bronze IL'ite

Hasini and kirthi...my son is 2 year old and exactly the same u described for your sons...and i am also travelling to India in Nov. My problem is not flight to India as it will be 3-4 hrs journey at night and we can manage him somehow (by not allowing him sleep at all during daytime)...but in India we will travelling extensively...Kerala, pune, Indore, bangalore...some place by train as well..donno how we will manage him...he also does not sit on stroller..he does not walk with us and we should not touch him at all..cos he wants to run all the time..if we hold him he wiggles so much that somehow gets out of my grip and then start running again. Eating is same as hasini mentioned...only distraction with I pad works..and he cannot sit at a place for more than 20 seconds..only fever or I pad can make him sit down for litle longer.

1 person likes this.
  7. HasiniS

HasiniS Gold IL'ite

@marina20

" Only fever or I pad can make him sit down for little longer " LOL I know what you mean ...

Same here .. Last week he had gastric flu and that was the only time he sat in one place ... What do you ladies think we can do with these kids ?? Aren't you guys so upset and some times depressed cause of all this ( I wont say stressed cause its more than that ) ... When we see our kids dont eat and become lean dont we loose our temper ... I am totally against at even raising voice at kids ... So atlast I take up all the pressure and struggle to feed atleast 2 spoons ... Now I even moved from spoons to hand feeding ... cause spoons wont go with his tricks of nodding his head and zipping his mouth ... Some moms can even comment the way I am trying to feed my son ... You guys wont believe .. Now videos also dont seem to work .. Only tricks like letting him play some touch games he would eat ... @marina and Kirthi - Your kids eat bakery ?? Milk ?? what others you have tried and has worked ?? And what can we do to bring discipline in them ? I am tired ....

8. kirthi82

kirthi82 Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Eating is not a problem.with iPad whatever I feed he will have it.he love iPad,but hardly he can watch for 20 minutes. My travel time is 24 hrs. I planned to buy some new cars and show him when he become crazy in plane. Yesterday when I was checking some ideas for controlling kids,I came across an forum where non Asian traveling traveling to India explained their journey in plane,that babies are always crying throughout the journey and we are not at all bothered about that and old ladies sitting next to them are always talking something to them. What do you think about that??? When I moved from one state to another in USA, we came in 5 hr flight with one stop. In that one travel, my son who was so happy traveling in plane started to kick the front seat,non Asian who is sitting front of him started. :rant:evil: I couldn't control my son.i just changed the seat where Indians are seated. They didn't say anything.i know it is disturbance for them , but they should think they are kids. In this 5 hr,my husband took care of him. But this time I am going to travel alone with my son for 24 hr :spin :spin:spin

9. marina20

marina20 Bronze IL'ite

Hasini..i think our kids have almost the same habbit...on Fridays and Sarurdays when i am home...all i feel is i am trying to feed my kid from morning 9 am till night 11 pm...breakfast starts at 9 and finish by 12 and then lunch starts at 1 and soo on..its so frustrating and very very stressful...

Goin out..he is screaming/running..he still does not talk properly....and sometimes we do get odd stare from western old couples.

i really adore kids of his age walking calmly holding their parents hands or even sitting at one place in parks ..i was thinking he will be better by the time he turns 3, but since ur 3 yr old is the same..now i have little hope...

please do share if u get some ideas to discipline these kind of kids.

10. HasiniS

HasiniS Gold IL'ite

@kirthi

You travelling ALONE for 24 hours ???!!! I can't imagine with my son dear ... Ok be strong ;-) I just wish to your surprise your son stays calm ... I know how it feels when people in the next seat rant about the way our kids cry or disturb them .. But don't worry there are people who truly understand that throwing tantrums is part of " terrible 2 's and 3 's age "... Initially I used to get so tensed if my son makes a big scene ... I am a low BP patient and so my palpitation would go up !! But then I learnt to let it go .. I would just calm down thinking we are doing our best to control them and they are doing their best to hold their control on us ;-) LOL
    So don't worry you just be prepared to divert him and one thing ... Everyday talk to him about your journey for say 15-20 min... Like you are going where, what you would do in flight, how he should behave and what he shouldn't do ... and after 2 or 3 times of repeating give him a star or sticker to stick on a note or chart ... Just keep encouraging him for atleast saying it along with you ... Don't forget to give him something to sip while take off and landing ( Air pressure ). I have seen some kids crying cause of the pressure they feel in ear ...

Good Luck on your Mission !!!