At work, do you set the Agenda or execute an Agenda?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by akalya, Jan 11, 2008.

1. akalya

akalya Junior IL'ite

My boss is getting promoted and they are looking for his replacement. I am not a choice for his replacement (and I didn't expect to be one). But still, I went and asked him as to what it would take for me to get his job someday. He mentioned that I need to learn the ability to set the agenda and not just follow the agenda set by superiors and others.

How many of you set the agenda at your work as opposed to follow the goals/objectives and priorities of your boss?
    If you are not setting your own agenda, what are the reasons for not being able to do so?

2. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

Setting agenda is very important. For setting agenda and for its execution we need to update in the area of work. Build contacts with other professional colleagues . This helps to get ideas, to learn new ways of working. These also help us to be more creative than our fellow colleagues and to customise things as per our needs. Our confidence and xpertise will surely take us to great heights. FB please.:coffee:coffee:coffee:coffee KANAKA

3. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

well setting an agenda is nothing but "Having a strategy". And I feel we all have startegy for something if not for career.

Now how do you project that strategy is what get you up the ladder. If you are sitting 95% of the time in your office , then chances are you wouldnot get promotions you are looking for. No company wants islands of knowledge sitting around all day. All they want is mediocre individual filled extraorinary enthusiasm and one who has ability to exude that strategy.

I hope I gave you a helpful answer.

Ria

4. Rakshana

Rakshana New IL'ite

Right now I am the employee so I have to execute everything. I really hope that maybe in time, as I grow in the hierarchy, I'll be able to make decisions and have other people work for me. I cannot say I dislike my position now either, as long as I have a nice boss and the work is really good. Getting on a better position in the hierarchy also means more responsabilities and more stress.

5. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear Akalya

Don't worry about this missed opportunity. Set the agenda might also mean having a say in your deliverables. So, with the new boss around, please do take part in the project plan discussions and ensure that you have a say. All the very best..!

-Gayathri.