Working at home - advantages and disadvantages

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Rashmita, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Rashmita

Rashmita New IL'ite

Hi everybody! How many of you are working from home? :wave

Personally, I am working in the IT domain and sometimes I can stay and work at home, as I have my material available online, and I don't need to stay at the office in order to do my job... Working at home has its advantages and disadvantages, and I was thinking we could all come up with a list!

For example, advantages:
    - you wake up whenever you want, you make your own schedule
    - you don't have a dress code, you can wear whatever you want
    - you are closer to your family

On the other hand...
    - you aren't that active anymore, you can end up staying too many days in your house, just working - and sometimes you can work some days in a row, if you have a big project!
    - you tend not to work out anymore, eat randomly, and eventually you put on weight
    - your friends and family don't understand the importance of your job and think that, if you are working from home, you have more free time for them - which is, of course, wrong!
    - you can easily be distracted by the phone, tv, radio, and so on

What else??

2. KiranUs

KiranUs New IL'ite

I would love to work from home :)

As advantages i see all the above mentioned by you, plus a few more:
    - if i am sick i can stay at home and work anyway
    - the schedule may not always be as i want it to be, but i could certainly eat when i want and take a break whenever i need it..
    - i can drink as many coffees as i want to keep me awake, without the boss looking strange at me :D

The disadvantages are clear.. it is tempting to remain at home the whole day and not socialize or exercise.. but it's a risk worth to take :)

3. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

I had worked from home for six months. And I can vouch , it s not healthy in long run.

Biggest disadvantage

- you lack adult interaction. You stop growing on personal front. Your world becomes virtual Except your husband and kids, you dont get third party views.

- I personally would love a set up where I can work from home for one or two days per week. And rest I would like to drive to office , meet up colleagues and enjoy workplace.

4. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Working from home has its own advantages and disadvantages.
    Sometime I get a change to work from home.
    I use that oppurtunity when kids are sick, when they have doc's appt, when thier school has closings.
    Apart from these reasons I don't like to stay home.
    I feel I am just within four walls, there is no interaction with others.
    I end calling mom, co-sis and talk all non-sense things.
    I feel more organized and comfortable working from office.
    But I make use of going late after dropping kids to school and leave early home to pick them up. And do the remaning work at home after putting kids to sleep.
    Having working from home option is a big plus for me.

~Punitha

5. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

The advantages of working from home are many as you ladies have already stated. Especially when one has kids, being able to work from home is a great convenience to have.

However, I am like Punni and Ria. I do not like to work fulltime from home. I love the going out and the mingling with other people part. So a good balance of work from home and work from office is ideal.

In addition to the ones already mentioned, the other few disadvantages of working from home full time are –
    • 1. No “face time” with people at work. This lack of face time negatively impacts one’s career growth. You do not get a chance to build a solid network at work. Networking is an essential ingredient required in succeeding at any activity that involves people. If you are not “seen”, you are not noticed much either.
    • 2. On similar lines.. you are not able to develop a strong comradeship with your co-workers because you are not available when they want to just swing by your work area, or go to lunch or just chat around the water cooler. Having comradeship sees one through a lot of ups and downs.

SS

6. Rakshana

Rakshana New IL'ite

The main advantage is that you make your own schedule and don't have to travel to work. it saves time and money. The problem is that most of the time you'd be alone working, with a negative impact on ones social needs. And you either work too much and neglect the family or too little and can't grow the business.

7. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

I have the flexibility to work from home if necessary. But I limit it to bad weather days or days I don't want to spread my cold. There was a stretch when I worked for a week from home and the next week I was just raring to go to work.

The main( only? ) advantage in this is lack of commute according to me.

I try to maintain my schedule even if I work from home, so that is not a problem for me. However, lacking any other adult interacion is boring. Also, meeting times especially the ones involving a lot of illustration by the participants gets tough.

I thought my view will drastically change after my kid, but sadly it hasn't. In fact, I find it difficult to work if my child is home. If there are any mothers who work from home with kids, please share your thoughts on how you manage.

-Gayathri.