1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

gasy problem--breastfeeding--need remedies

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by sankasailaja, Feb 28, 2008.

1. sankasailaja

sankasailaja Bronze IL'ite

hi frnds

i delivered a girl a month ago.i am breast feeding her.she got jaundice and almost got cured,and she is facing another problem,ie; gas,doctor has given her mylicon gas drops and we r using those,but as i am breast feeding her ,even my food may also suffers her.

can any body help me in tips or remedies to avoid gas problem,so she can drink well.

she is not drinking milk,becoz of gas and taking time to get burps also,she is really suffering and cries a lot,that really scares me.

plz frnds help me soon,any home remedies???????

Similar Threads
    1. Kalpana294
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I will share what little i know. The mother who is breast feeding usually has to have only pathiya samiyal. this is food prepared specially mainly to eliminate gas problems etc. if possible try not to eat any foods that cause adverse reaction.
    In one of the cooking threads i did see someone talk about this food etc. please check or you can even ask q there. They will help too
    Good luck. Take care. Everything will be fine.

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Please Start Taking Paan, It Is A Must For All Mothers With Tiny Babies It Helps To Improve Your Milk With Herbs..it Is Your Diet Too, Hope U Took Garlic Leghiyam, All These Are To Improve The Digestion As The Mother Cannot Go Out For Walks Now..sunkan

4. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I had the same problem with my son. Don't worry it is a passing phase. My mom used to add a lot of garlic in my diet to increase the milk supply. That caused my son to be very gassy. So avoid garlic. I also had problems with cabbage, beans, cauliflower and dhal. I ended up eating lot of non veg and fruits. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Kavya.

5. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Already many friends have given the remedies. Please follow that.
    Avoid gassy and sour food. Use lots of asofoetida in your food.
    Hope your kid gets better.

Take care.

6. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Even I too have gas problems. Beocz of which me and the baby both are leaking gas a lot.
    My mom is giving me pathiya samiyal only. She says that from tomm she will start some garlic legiyam which will reduce the gas quickly. Hopefully it works fast :spin

7. sankasailaja

sankasailaja Bronze IL'ite

hi frnds
    thanks all of u for giving me ideas.what r pathiya samiyal and garlic legiyam?and how they r made?are they tamil words?
    plz help me,in preparing that?

8. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

hi
    one small piece of advice frm me 2.
    just take 1 pinch of ajwain or omum n chew it after u hav ur meals(each time) n then with the chewed ajwain in the mouth just blow in baby's ears n naval.take care of not putting any ajwain in baby's ears.
    do it everytime after u hav mealsn then within sometime baby will give out burp or leak the gas.
    while feeding baby hold her in a position which is very comfortable for her 2 suck n burp,n then after finishing just hold her uprt n pat her back untill she burps.
    this was suggested 2 me by my gynic during my 1st week after delivery n i never followed any paithaim n touch wood my baby didnt hav any problem 2.i only breast fed her completly for 1 yr.

bye
    raji

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  9. PoorniDaya

PoorniDaya Senior IL'ite

Hi there, Congrats new Mommy!

I see many posts regarding the diet, so I wouldnt want to touch on that. But as a general and essential advice I would like to tell you that you should make it a point to burp your baby after every feed.

After five minutes of feeding your baby, try and get to put her on your shoulders and pat lightly on her back and start to feed her again, this way she will be able to drink freely.

After feeding your baby, again pat her gently on her back, or even rub her in circular motions. Never lay her down as soon as you feed her. This will only worsen her tummy troubles.

This should help and let me know how your little one feels.

Happy Mothehood!!

My 2cents PoorniDaya.

10. himani

himani New IL'ite

hello sankasailaja,
    read about your problem and too faced this as i have 6 months son. here are some tips for u.
    1. when the baby has gas try to move his legs slowly as he is cycling.
    2. apply luke warm hing (Asafoetida)water on his navel. u can make it by just adding pinch of heeng to luke warm water. and in few minutes the gas will escape .
    3. try to have ajwain (Carom seeds)water after every meal as this cut down the gassy effect of food which u eat. to make just boil water with little ajwain in it. it really helps.
    4. add ajwain, heeng and gerlic to your food.
    5. at times u can also give Himalayan's Bonnisan or gripewater if it is to acute but drinking ajwain water and applying heeng on navel will help most of the time. these r time tested from old generation.
    6. check the food which u feel can give gas to baby. with different people it is different thing. like with me it is cauliflower, beans, black gram , besan, chick peas, rajma . so i try to avoid or have in less quantity. if had then have ajwain water.
    so try and let me know if it helps your darling baby.
    himani

1 person likes this.