Constipation & Gastric problems during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by indumathy_77, Feb 28, 2008.

1. indumathy_77

indumathy_77 New IL'ite

Hi,

I am 7 weeks pregnant and have severe constipation and gastric problems. Due to this my upper abdomen is looking bulged now only. Pls help me in suggesting some home made medicines for this. I am drinking buttermilk, eating prunes and bananas.

Thanks
    Indu

2. hemsat

hemsat New IL'ite

Hi Indu,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!Try to drink lots of water during the day and in the morning as soon as you get up drink 3-4 glasses of water. It's a bit difficult to drink in the morning because you will feel nauseated. Also take lots of greens and salads. Keep yourself well hydrated. I hope this helps.

3. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Also try to walk and keep yourself active which helps in bowel movements too. Include bran or bran based cereal in your diet eg. Raisin bran cereal for breakfast. Try to go easy on the spices - they can cause the stool to harden. If the problem persists and you can uncomfortable for more than couple days in a row you can ask your ob/gyn to prescribe some stool softeners. These don't have to be taken everyday so you can take them on and off depending on how you feel. High iron content in the tabs can also cause constipation. Sometimes if your hemoglobin is okay your doc may let you go on and off iron supplements to help ease constipation... so talk to them about it.

-L.

4. kavikutti

kavikutti New IL'ite

Hi Indu,

For the gastric problem take "Tums", and for the Constipation take more Water with fibre supplements (i bought in walgreens). Some times severe constipation turns out to be Hermmiods.

Take care,
    kavi.

5. Vnbaby

Vnbaby Senior IL'ite

Hi Indu!!

Congratulations for your pregnancy!! Good to know that you are also going to be a October mommy. What is your EDD? If you want you can join October mommies due date club I have already started it :goodidea:.

I am also 7 weeks pregnant and going to complete 8 weeks tomorrow. Though I am not eligible to give you advices as I am also new mom to be and trying to learn about pregnancy through ILs and other information available on internet :coffee. So according to what I have read and learnt during last 1 month of my pregnancy, constipation and other problems related to gestrointestinal tract are quite common during pregnancy. Infact my symptoms of pregnancy started with severe constipation but because I already have a sensitive digestive and GI(gastrointestinal) system shakehead I thought its normal but was really severe that time. Then slowly It vanished.

When I visited my GYN for the first time she prescribed me multivitamins with stool softener which are particularly for pregnant women. And I actually came to know about stool softener in it when I bought it. But because at that time(5weeks of pregnancy) I used to have 2-4 bowel movements in a day(quite unusual for me ;-)) I wanted to get it changed but slowly I found it really useful because these days due to nauseous feeling I just dont take adequate water as a result I could be suffering from constipation but thanks to my multivitamins :cool2: with stool softener which has made my life easier.

So you can ask your GYN to prescribe you some stool softener which you can take according to your needs. They are harmless and at least I am not noticing any side effects. Yeah I was a bit worried like what if my system will get used to of it. But I have noticed if you take enough water you just dont suffer with stomach related problems and I can really assure you on this :biggrin2:. If you want to try home remedies you can try taking yoghurt, and add more fibre to your diet by eating fruits, unpolished lentils, veggies........and if you are not feeling nauseous then you can simply increase liquid intakes by adding more juices, milk and water to your diet :queen.

Do inform us about ur health by keep posting.

Take Care
    V n baby

6. indumathy_77

indumathy_77 New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

Thank you very much for ur suggestions. Let me try taking raisin cereals and I already eat lot of vegetables and fruits. This is my second pregnancy and I did not feel very heavy for my first child. Vnbaby, I am taking multivitamins with stool softener and this helps me little bit. I do walking daily. My EDD is Oct 15.

Regards
    Indu.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  7. ChhayaaN

ChhayaaN New IL'ite

Hi Indu,
    this is a simple home remady for constipation during pregnancy.
    Eat carrot,radish,beetroot.tomatoes ,make it as a salad and eat it with your dinner.
    for dinner eat khichadi/pongal.
    you can even drink a lot of green gram moong soup.
    add a tablespoon of honey in a glass of water and drink it at bedtime.

Hope these remedies would help you.

GOD BLESS YOU

LOVE,
    chhayaa negandhi

8. vanishri2025

vanishri2025 New IL'ite

Having Constipation in 7th week

Hello All,
    Iam having kind of constipation(painful excretion) daily. earlier b4 preganacy i used to take trifala churna but now i stopped it.i drink lots of water and milk at night to avoid it still problem persists...Please give your suggestions...

Regards
    Vanishree

9. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

Re: Having Constipation in 7th week

vanishri, constipation is a problem in second and more so in third trimes... but then again every body is different...
    apart from drinking enough water, include soups and lots of fibre in your diet... fruits, leafy veg ....have buttermilk

along with milk at night have a banana.
    make sure you are not lying down and giving your body enough exercise.include walking in your routine everyday.it helps.

10. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

Re: Having Constipation in 7th week

Drink a lot of Prune juice... one glass in the morning and one in the evening. it worked for me:thumbsup drink regularly