1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speech therapy advised for 2.8 yr old...pl help

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by ridgemma, Jul 5, 2012.

1. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

SM,
    I've sent you a pm with the contact details...she maybe able to help you with a referral nearer to you...if she doesn't know anyone there, do not hesitate to go to bigger center. Always ask for a full evaluation and ask them to explain results to you in detail. If there is any underlying articulation or language need, it will help you to know what is the exact need so you too can reinforce the skills at home.

2. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Updates from me,

NOw my DD is communicating for basic needs...i can see consistency...say hi to everyone (hi aunty,hi uncle...)and bye too...joins 2 letters & forms sentences..

today she was reviewed again...from 11-12 months, now she is of 14-16 months...yet some improvement points,
    1. yet to know girl boy difference
    2. identify her things and others. (this is my dress..this is mum's...like that)
    3.yet to respond to question & answers...and ask too

BTW, I have also increased her exposure, by taking her to variety of places...2days in a week to park, one day to kids play spot (she will c n play new games & meet new kids), one day to relatives place, one day jus travel by bus or local train or visit temple...

I have also enrolled her in story telling classes everyday for half-an-hour...she hasn't narrated a story yet..I have tell them my objectives for her...
    1. Story to be in tamil.
    2. Objective is to make her answer and encourage to ask more questions...

Some learnings so far
    Pls Pls trust your mother's instinct...jus bcoz grandpa spoke late, a child needn't follow suit.......listen to others but take advice from experts..

As teacher rightly said, the earlier the better....before 5 years, delays can be undone with decent enough time...

1 person likes this.
  3. SM11870

SM11870 Silver IL'ite

Dear Suchitra,

Does your son goes to a playschool?My son was exactly the same as yours in case of food.He used to love soft food a lot and wont chew or bite.But now I have enrolled him ina day care and playschool where he gets variety of food to eat along with other children,so now he has developed a good appetite and taste for food,though he still prefers soft food and wants to be fed.Have patience and try new ideas to develop his interest.You can serve your food along with his and sit together for the meal.In this way he might get attracted towards food and would like to taste.I serve food for my son ,show him his meal and ask him to sit beside me,then he points out what he wants.
    But he hardly communicates and speaks only fewer words which is the main cause of my worry.
    All the best and trust God ,everything will be fine.

4. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

HI OP, that is a strong gain...3-4 months from the first the you posted is great. you must be pleased at how well your efforts pay off.

Do you see gender substitutions in speech or not understanding gender in comprehension (for e.g.-saree for women, dress for girls, etc)? I would say that some children still do make those errors in their speech but it is a good thing to target it so that she has mastered it by the right age.

Story telling is a good activity...do they use pictures to cue her for answers? here is something for you to mull about when you work with her on story telling. When you pick a book to read with her, do some prep first.
    1) Read the story yourself and identify the beginning, middle and end events of the story.
    2) Cut chart paper into notepad sized squares/rectangles
    3) draw pictures or paste them (if you print some from google images) one each on the chart pieces.
    4)when you read you should use these temporal words (at the beginning-mudalla, in the middle-nadula, the end-kadaisiya)
    5) After you read the story, use the picture sequence cards to ask questions-"What happened at the beginning?" "What happened in the middle?"...

This 'beginning, middle, end' concept is one of the most important concepts to be taught for all children and it is even more important to teach it explicitly to children with language needs. Typically children master this around 4 but as she has a language need, this is a great way for her to understand that stories are organized and that they follow a sequence. This is a fundamental skill in learning to read/comprehend and write...and one of the hardest for children with language needs to process and express in their work.

here is a some reading material on this, even if it a sales pitch:)http://www.superduperinc.com/handouts/pdf/167%20sequencing.pdf
    rama

4 people like this.
  5. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Teacher,

Really thankful to you and other ILites for sharing your knowledge, experience:hatsoff...This really has boost my confidence and thank god..am able to see improvements in my child, without hurting her much :) ...

1. Yes, they use flashcards during story telling...her teacher told she is answering questions from the story "the thirsty crow"

2. Gender - she is yet to understand the context, meaning itself...

Will it be too much on her if I start flashcards at home ? already she is into playschool, story telling, and her play routine outside...am also constantly showering her with my talks.....

Still, making her express is a task...sure,she enjoys her trips, play time, new places...but why she doesn't expresses ?:hide: Ma, I need to ride my cycle, need to go to garden...yearning to listen her converse...:bowdown

6. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

As for the flash cards do what you are comfortable with...she has a lot going on with all the classes as do you with all the organizing. The first couple of years of intervention, it is natural to want to do many things...just be sure you don't get burned out.

Initiating a conversation is a difficult skill-besides the oral language component she also has to understand the social pragmatics and generalize it to every other situation. For example, even if she says I want to go to the garden, you'll still have to reinforce the concept (ask to go somewhere to play) to go to the park, to the playground, etc.

Even with the gaps, it is a good level of progress...enjoy her

1 person likes this.
  7. helpmom

helpmom New IL'ite

Dear Teacher,

I got my son evaluated last week. Doc has ruled out Autism and said his development is as per his age. She had concerns on his speech and suggested us to meet speech therapist.

I am also going to put him in playschool very soon. Hoping it will help him to pick things up fast.

Thank you Shruti,

Great tips. Planning to enrol my son in playshcool soon. Hoping it will help him with his speech as well as his food chewing habits. Thanks again.

Suchitra

8. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

HI Ridge
    I tried to send you a PM but your inbox was full...
    Rama

9. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

HI,

Just cleared my inbox after seeing your message...
    couldn't visit IL due to Navaratri preparations...pls resend your message

10. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite