1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

What a variety....

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Roopasparsh, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Roopasparsh

Roopasparsh Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

I was trying to see how to drape a Sari online and accidently landed into a link which made me realise we have such a variety of sarees...
    This has now made me curious.. I love sarees... I love my traditional sarees.. I love bengal cotton sarees.. and I also like the soft sarees which these marwari ( rajasthani - but o ) ladies wear.. simple ones at home.. but nice they are..

Now I collected many variety ( only names and not sarees :-( ), I am listing them here.. Can ladies in the forum take this forward .. and share with us know all the gyaan you have about these sarees... :coffee

Details like Where this sari originated; People from which region drape it more.. Where do we get these sarees.. I dont think there are shops which have variety of sarees from all states of India.. ...Ah yes.. do tell us how many you have.. ( for us feel J) . People from orissa too have good cotton sarees.. And yes do add to the list if I missed any.. I know I would have as I remember my mom using so many names which I seems to have forgotten.. So Here you go..:thumbsup:thumbsup

Gadwal
    Leheriya
    Siphon
    Silk
    Satin
    Gajji
    Crepe
    gharchola
    cotton
    Kota - Doria
    Dupion
    Bandhini
    Banarasi
    Bengali
    Silk cotton
    Georgette
    Kanchipuram Sarees
    Poochampalli
    Madurai Chungadi
    Chanderi
    Maheshwari
    Tussar Silk
    Kantha Silk
    Lugade
    Patola
    Mangalagiri
    Mysore silk

1 person likes this.

2. RamyaST

RamyaST Silver IL'ite

Great job Roopa.. Nothing can beat saree n i love to wear saree..

Ramya :)

3. Deepu04

Deepu04 IL Hall of Fame

Great job Roopa.. I love wearing sarees... :) I prefer to wear cotton rather vareities so i have collection of cotton sarees and silk cotton sarees.

You have listed almost all varities dear...:) :)

4. srilatharajesh

srilatharajesh Silver IL'ite

5. shambavi2000

shambavi2000 Silver IL'ite

Paithani silk from Paithan, Maharashtra
    Venkatagiri cotton (there are so many variety of cottons)

6. Roopasparsh

Oh Yes... Cottons from Orissa.. Cottons from Mumbai.. Cottons from Andhra.. Cottons from Bengal.. so many.. same with sIlk.. Paithani Silk?? New to me.. Do you have it shambavi.. How different is it from other silks??

7. Roopasparsh

Thanks Deepu

.Oh yes.. you know What I learnt to drape a saree only a month before my wedding. and then I starting likingit. but My MIL is not so particular as to what I wear so I hardly drape sarees. I would love to wear them.. to office.. so I thought let me start with these Marwari sarees which look just so beautiful and stick so beautifully to your body.. I just love it when the pleats hit your toes and it swings while we walk.. It gives me some sort of confidence.. feminity..

While we mention more varieties.. if some one can also tell how each variety is different from other that would be informative too..

8. samanvitha

samanvitha New IL'ite

POCHAMPALLI sarees, PASHMINA SILK sarees ....

9. parulverma27

parulverma27 New IL'ite

10. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

My Mom always wears a sari. It is so tough for us to convince her to wear a salwar suit. She feels very comfortable only in a sari.

Looking at her, I too love to wear saris. But my MIL is not very fond of saris and hence, when we go out together I end up wearing a suit! But yes, she does have a good collection of saris and I wear those whenever I wish to.

There are so many varieties and these days as a fashion statement, there are saris in so many fabrics and designs. The choice is endless, hence Sari is truly India's national dress!

A sari is the most elegant outfit. It can make you look pretty,stylish,simple,sexy,hot oooohhhh!!!! all these looks from just one amazing SARI!

1 person likes this.