how was your first day of your job?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by BeStrongFeelUp, Sep 1, 2012.

1. BeStrongFeelUp

BeStrongFeelUp Bronze IL'ite

hi friends,
    how was your first day of your job?:)
    share your experience on how the day went? how your colleagues get along with you?
    Did you feel like :confused2: , when first work is allocated for you?:)

just share your experience, and any special dos & donts?

2. Rupamitu

Rupamitu Silver IL'ite

My first day at work was 4th June 2007. It was full of fun. Mine was a campus recruitment, so there were many freshers. Our company made it like a freshers party, we were told to introduce ourselves, it was classroom kind of feeling, since there were many new joinees. We had some games and ice breaking sessions to get to know others. We got chocos & juices too on the first day :)
    Apart from this, few sessions from HR about the company and bank account opening...
    Now am in my second company, had to move due to personal reasons. Very new experience in my second company, completely uncomfortable. I had a big gang of friends in my first company since everyone were fresh out of college. In this new company, none bothered to take me to pantry even for a cup of coffee. Felt very lonely. First three months was kind of hell. Newly married and a new job, had to cope with two big transitions.
    Only thing is we should learn to be more independent when we are in a new environment.
    Regarding work, in both of my companies, I had lot of support since I was new. I guess anyone will have the support until he/she learns the process. We can take the advantage of a new joinee, by asking as many questions reg work because an experienced person is expected to work independently

3. gshri

gshri New IL'ite

I joined my company on 13 jan 2011.. It was really great.. We formed freshers gang... had nice time.....it was like class room... we had few presentations, account opening etc.,

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  4. SriPriya123

SriPriya123 Silver IL'ite

Oh! Mine was pretty much what ILs above have stated.. Except that I was so scared/anxious in the morning and through the day I relaxed, met some people, made some friends and had a good time overall.. Plus people from various states in India had come and it was a different feeling to think i would be working with such a mix!

5. MadhuRao

MadhuRao Silver IL'ite

Wow! I just hit this page from the main sheet to share my first day Experience!! How many of you will have this beautiful experience!

it was a very bright day and I was joining the MNC on 23rd March 2006, Thursday! I was too excited, Cab picked me up and reported to work. We were about 6 new joinee's, each would be posted in a different department.
    I was posted in the planning division and was told the Strategic Manager is here, he would like to talk to you for few minutes and share few data. I was even more excited and was introduced to the person. We started with a nice hello and a bit of personal intro as this was my first step into corporate world, Time may be 10AM. Never looked at the watch!!
    He said I have to sit through the MRP and learn few things, whats happening...Coffee comes to table, followed by lunch, tea follows....hey wait not snacks here!! But who is listening!! by the time we wound up it was 1AM the next day morning and his flight was at like 6.30AM or so.
    I rushed and was tensed what would my parents say!! I took the cab home! Dad was petrified (We didnt have landline then) and said go take rest! not another word.

Next morning as usual, i got ready at 8 and cab arrived by 8.15 AM. I left for office.
    around 11AM the MD came looking for me, what have i done!! just the 2nd day was my first thought.
    he said " my dear, ur father called me few minutes back and said if my daughter is returning at 1AM everyday then there is no need for her to work at all. Thanks for the opportunity".
    Oh my godness! i felt! I have to leave now!!
    Later the MD said he has explained to my dad about the overseas person and the training i had to go thru. He also explained about the security company follows and how safe i can be even if working late!!
    From that day onwards for about a fortnight, i was getting calls at 5.20PM to pack up from him!!
    A very beautiful memory I still cherish!!

2 people like this.
  6. rajaakshmi

rajaakshmi New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I had just completed my doctoral program and joined as a Lecturer in English. By 9:30 AM the time table was given to me and I had to address 90 engineering students (boys) who had opted for Mechanical and Production. I was feeling very nervous because i had to teach grown up boys. A senior professor in the department called me and said , don't worry just go in and teach. They dont know that you are new to the job. They have just come in from school, and college life is new for them. I followed his suggestion and teaching was real cake walk. Now I give the same solution to novice teachers. I am filled with gratitude to that gentleman for his suggestion.

1 person likes this.
  7. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Hi Friends,

There was an urgent need that I needed to work and hence started looking for one. Any job would do. I got a job as a receptionist and telephone operator. I was very nervous. It was a very small office with just about 4 employees. So I realized the job was not typically answering phones, but required you to do mostly a little of everything. The first job assigned to me by my Manager was making packing lists. This was a garment export company and we had to give these to our factory so that they pack the goods according to this. The whole day I sat filling in the checked paper with the no of pcs per size that needed to go into a carton. That night even in my sleep I was only seeing those checked papers and making packing lists!!!!!!!!!!!. I can never forget this experience and laugh when I think of this.

Regards
    Uma