1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speech therapy advised for 2.8 yr old...pl help

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by ridgemma, Jul 5, 2012.

1. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

HI SM..

Do get your child evaluated...the sooner you start intervention the better for your child. Unfortunately everyone quotes that ubiquitous "every child is unique' without understanding the details and most early childhood teachers have very little understanding of the language milestones. Due to this children starts services so late that they've lost precious time. Ridge...good for you!

I will ask around amongst my contacts in Mumbai...in the meantime you can contact Aziza Tyabji at AURED...it is near Haji Ali. I don't know if it is near where you live but if you are able to go there for an evaluation, she can direct you to professionals in your area. If they don't do the speech language evaluation. I'd suggest that you ask Aziza to recommend a center...
    -:: AURED ::- Learn to LISTEN AND SPEAK

r

2 people like this.
  2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

3. poddarabhishek

poddarabhishek New IL'ite

Hello.
    Am not sure of Chennai. However, for Mumbai, I can confidently tell you to visit Dr. LH Hiranandani hospital in Powai. You can meet Dr. Pragati Jain. I was facing similar problem as yours. My son was facing similar problem. He was facing trouble in speaking. As a result his friends started making fun of him in my society as well as in school. To avoid that he actually stopped talking & started living alone. Problem worsened further when he actually stopped talking except for few words.
    On consulting my paed I went to meet Dr. Pragati @ hiranandani hospital in Powai, Mumbai. She heard my whole story in detail. Talked with my son little bit. She advised me to take Speech Therapy package, which I took. My son's speech started improving after 5-6 sessions.

Dr. advised me to practise the therapy sessions with my son even at home. Dr. gave me some tips to make my son practise. Those tips were really helpful, as it made my son started getting more & more interest. He felt its some game I am playing with him. After about 15 regular sessions, my son's speech improved a lot. Best part is as my son got confidence in speaking, he has made many friends, and has started speaking confidentaly with others.
    TIP: I would advise you to visit this doctor and explain your problem right from childhood in detail during first session itself. This would help in early diagnosing of the root cause & will eventually benefit the patient.

1 person likes this.
  4. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Poddarabhishek
    Welcome to IL...
    Thank you for sharing will you please share what tips you recieved from doctor and how you implemented them it will very helpful for concerned parents...

Thank you

5. SM11870

SM11870 Silver IL'ite

Re: Speech/langauge development in children - questions/advice

Hi SLV,

After going through all the posts I feel you may help me. My son is 2.5 yrs old.he is going to a playschool and a daycare.Today was his Parents Teachers Meeting and his teachers told that he has shown lots of improvement in his activities but he is hardly speaking.He speaks few words like papa,mama,tata,kaka and mostly gibberish which we cant understand.We speak Odia and hindi at home but in school teachers communicate in english.He is able to understand their instructions but is not uttering anything.Is it becoz he is confused with the three languages and is unable to choose?He will pick up anything and use it like a cellphone and start imitating us.I am really scared now.I have read your advice given to Pratha and will try to follow them.Is there anything else that I can do???Pls help me out.

6. SM11870

SM11870 Silver IL'ite

Thank you all of you for your responses.
    @poddarabhishek:I tried to contact the hospital via phone but nobody is picking.Can you share the doctor's no if it is permissible??
    @ teacher:I'll try to visit them though it is far away from my home.

Pls pray for my son.Thanks once again.

7. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

SM,
    You can even call Aured and ask for a referral near your place of residence. I have another contact for you but will pm the phone number...she can help with referrals too.

I just happened to see your post on the other thread. While I do not want to discount your worry, I think what you have mentioned is a key factor. Typically when a child is exposed to two languages at a young age, there will be a delay...after an almost 'silent phase' (where there is a lot of processing/understanding, retention going on) these children develop skills in both language simultaneously.

I feel your son is being exposed to one language too many...and he hasn't yet come up with the expressive part in one language. He has to process what is being said to him in English, relate it to what he knows in hindi/odiya and then act on it. If he is able to folow the directions in school, I would say he is doing well:) That shows his processing and receptive language skills are developing appropriately.

Between you and your husband, split up the languages-one person speak in hindi or odiya only (pick one language for now-I would say odiya, because he can pick up hindi from his environment when he is older). The other parent should speak only in English. This will give him enough exposure to these as completely separate languages and teach him the conventions specific to each. While you wait around for the speech and language evaluation, try this division of language and monitor his progress at home and at school. You may find that this multiple language exposure is the core issue.

He will do well...take heart.

8. SM11870

SM11870 Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot Teacher.Your post lowered my tension to some amount.Once again my hearty thanks to all ILites responding to my issues.

9. helpmom

helpmom New IL'ite

Hi ,

I am a new member. I just came across your post and was really looking for forward for your advice. Please help.

My toddler (son) is 27 month old but does not communicate at all. When he wants something he does gestures and makes noices or screames. Most of the time screams.

He isdentifies a lot of things from books, and says many things like fruits names, vegetables names, vehicles, says papa, mummy, granny, calls most the people by name.

But when it comes to communication with us its zero. when we ask him do u want water or busicuit or chocolate he just says hmmmmmmmm istead of syaing yes. which he can pronounce well.

What do u suggest. Please help.

PS: He prefers soft food and does not chew his food at all. He only chews buiscuits and chips

Anticipating ur reply.

Thanks Suchitra

10. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Please get your child evaluated in person, ASAP.