1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to LOS ANGELES

Discussion in 'Indians in Los Angeles' started by Arunasara, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Arunasara

Arunasara New IL'ite

Hi
    We are moving to Los Angeles due to hubby's project work.
    So i would like to know about the education and cost of living there. Which are the places that will have more of Indians? How about the school? can we get admiision easily if we come by sep end? how much will be the rent and approx expenditure per month for a couple plus a child? Do we need to have a car definetly in LA?
    please help with some inputs if you are there?

Thanks in advance
    Aruna S

2. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Aruna,
    Welcome to LA.:welcome

Cost of living is okay here......depends on how we plan and manage.

Central LA, Orange County, Torrence, Artesia etc are some of the places with more Indians...

Public schools are good here.

Admissions can be got in September.

Please make sure that you bring all the "Immunisation Records" and school related certificates etc of your kid.

After coming here, look for "Assessment centre" close to your
    neighborhood....there you can get the admissiion processed.

Rent....it depends on the area........from $1600

Approximate expenditure....it is subjective.....but manageable.....

Car is not an absolute necessity if your kid is not too young. Public transport is good here.

Good luck......:thumbsup

3. Arunasara

Arunasara New IL'ite

Thank you.
    Since this is going to be our first visit , i do want to know more.
    In my hubby's office accomodation will be provided by them for only 2 weeks.
    So we all come together can we find a house within 2 weeks of time? SInce one of my child is 11 months old, my husband wants to take us with him itself.
    So what will be the procedure to get a rented apt? Will it furnished with fridge, W/M, microwave ?
    In general can we find any vessels (plates/ tumblers) in the furnished apt? will all the flats be furnished?
    Then reg expenditure , i jus want to know whether we can limit our monthly exp within $2000 USD excluding rent? I can understand it depends.
    How about the climate? When does winter start? What sort of winter clothing should i get from here for my baby ? Can we see snow there?
    What will be absolute necessary that i should get from India?
    I know i have asked quite a lot of ques , but since its our first visit to US that too with 2 children, i want to be little safe b4 landing there. thats it
    Thanks
    Bye

4. knbg

Can find an apartment in 2 weeks..:thumbsup.provided we proceed methodically...like zeroing in on the area and apartment in first week ( with inputs from Indian colleagues)

Most have fridge, microwave, cook top and common laundries....:thumbsup

Vessels....no.......just try to bring the basics till you can purchase here.....( we used disposable plates fromt he neighborhood 'dollar store' during the first few days....)

Within $2000 excluding rent is very much possible.....:thumbsup

Climate...not much to worry...:thumbsup...it's hot now.....fall starts end September.....winter would be bearable....with basic winter clothes and heater......
    No snow here.......:thumbsdown
    For kids and for you guys too...pick a few sweaters, jackets, caps....

Hope this helps....:)

Also, please check this thread for things to bring from India......

[​IMG] Tips for Newcomers to U.S

Good Luck.......:thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  5. Arunasara

Arunasara New IL'ite

Thank You. All your inform are very useful. Thanks a lot.

Bye

6. Arunasara

Arunasara New IL'ite

Hi
    My hubby's office will be in Burbank. So which residential area will suit us so that we can find indians in that area + which will be little nearby to my hubby's office?

I would like to know about the immunisation details. Since my second child is 11 months old. Are all the immunisations free.

I would to know about the medical insurance? How much would we need to pay for a family of 2+2 per month?

7. knbg

Hi Aruna,
    Sorry for the delayed reply.
    Please check these threads.....

Indian locality in Burbank,CA

Moving - Studio City-Burbank-Woodland etc

Regarding immunization for the little one, I'm not sure....but, for school going kids, it's given freely in the 'Assessment Center'Medical insurance......for us, it's taken care of by DH's office.Hope some of our friends might come with their inputs on these.
    Good Luck.:thumbsup

8. Arunasara

Arunasara New IL'ite

Thats ok.
    thank you
    One more information i need. I heard that there is no uniform for the school going children.
    So what kind of dress can my SON wear to school.

- collared shirt
    - sleeveless T-shirt
    - collared T-shirt
    - full sleeve/half
    - Trousers or pant

- what kind of shoes or can sandals be worn
    Bcoz tomorrow we have planned to go for purchase.
    How about the 110 V mixie. How much does it cost there.
    SOme say it is cheap in US . Some say to get it here itself.
    So do u have any idea about the cost in US

Thank You.

9. knbg

Hi Aruna,

Kids wear all types of clothes here.

However some schools have their school T-Shirts which are sold at school on some days and at specific stores whose information , address will be available at school.

Till winter begins half sleeve shirt/T-shirt will be fine and after that a sweater/jacket will be needed- but you can buy those here itself from stores.

Get some thermal wear for the kids and for yourself too...would be helpful during winter.

110v Mixie, we got from India only- it is better to be equiped with it when we come na, rather than searching for that here.:my2cents

We got a Preethi Blue leaf 110v from Chennai, and it works good...I grind Idli/dosa batter, chutneys and most masala powders in it...no issues.

Good luck.....:thumbsup

10. risingsun1234

risingsun1234 Bronze IL'ite

I want to add some more inputs.
    I agree with buying mixie in India and getting here.it's cheaper there unless someone is selling a used one here. I bought the 110v mixie in India, but as for the wet grinder, i found someone selling it on Craigslist, so bought it here for $80 which is like Rs.4000/-, cheaper than buying in India and packing in luggage. Keep an eye out in Craigslist and you will get a deal.
    Clothes-
    you can get your kurtis, tops but as for kids clothes, i prefer it here unless special occasion dresses like ghagra, party chudidaar, lehangas etc.
    Regular school wearing shirts, pants are better to buy here unless you are buying in a brand stores like one-stores etc. something under Rs.500 will just get torn and wear out easily with 2-3 machine washes here. it is my personal experience. don't worry about undergarments for kids too, including socks and all, they are very cheap in bulk. ofcourse get some thermals and jackets , sweaters in various varities if you wish. get 1 good pair of shoes for kids. if you find sale here, you can buy another pair later.
    School dress is shirt/t-shirt, pants/shorts, socks and shoes is a must.
    Immunizations-
    Get a list of immunizations(date and name of immunization) on a pediatrician's letterhead with your child's name on it and get it stamped/sealed/signed by him. Indian immunization card is not accepted here. I came in February 2012 and got the stamped letterheads for both my kids (aged 6 and 3). i had an issue with polio immunization as some of them were not recorded, like i had gone to pulse polio in India, but we don't record it in a paper, so I had to write down approx date and get it signed by the indian doctor. The school here needed at least 4 polio shots(oral/ipv) recorded for a 5 yr old.
    Your health insurance should be able to cover the immunizations, but as bhargavi said, some places offer free immunizations to school-going children, but some limited i think.

I think that's all i can think of right now. will share more as and when needed

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012