how do u make ghee at home?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by ravioli1970, Aug 31, 2012.

1. ravioli1970

ravioli1970 Bronze IL'ite

any recipes for making ghee at home??

2. ShobhiBalan

ShobhiBalan Bronze IL'ite

Jus get the butter with a pinch of salt and optionally drumstick leaves in a pan and melt just until all of the butter melts and a nice fragrance comes out of it and its frothy. Switch off the stove and filter it to a clean, dry jar.

3. WorkingWoman

WorkingWoman Gold IL'ite

We buy full cream milk for daily use. I store the boiled milk in refrigerator. Everyday when it has a thick layer of cream I take out the layer and store in a separate glass bowl. In 10 days or so the bowl is full of cream. This can be used to make a good amount of ghee. There are 2 ways to make ghee out of it.

Since I want to prepare quickly I just heat this accumulated cream and keep stirring. In a while it turns into ghee with light brown flakes of cream. We can filter the ghee out. I try that this home made ghee is always used for my DD instead of market ghee.

4. V2K

V2K Silver IL'ite

keep the cream that forms on top of curd and collect it till it acumulates upto 250 gms , depending upon the bottle in which you collect, then pour the collected cream in a mixi jar and whip it for ten minutes.. Add chill water approximately a cup and whip again . after continous whipping of ten minutes you will find that on the top a good amount of butter will be collected and at the bottom water will of the curd turned into butter milk would be collected. now you can refrigerated the jar for ten minutes so that u can collect the butter with out any mess in the hands. it will be approximately 100 to 150 gms for sure.

now put the butter in a kadai and heat. for sometime there will be a fussy noise and after 5 minutes of heating you will find that the sound has reduced and you get an oily substance on top. add betel leaves for that good aroma and switch off. and transfer the ghee to a container after it cools.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. indigirl

indigirl Senior IL'ite

Get any unsalted butter from the market. heat it in a kadhai tîll it melts completely and gives aroma. let it cool and filter in a bottle using tea filter. I make this ghee for my DD and it tastes really good.

6. chandannasta

chandannasta Silver IL'ite

My mom used to make lovely ghee at home but since now she is aged she cant. You know white butter and after that from that you make ghee. Since I am a punjabi so I was used to it but from past 8-10 yrs waiting for that white butter and home made ghee.

7. ravioli1970

thanks ladies, i dont use ghee much except phulkas but wanted to give it a try!!

8. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

When the butter is melting in a kadai,use a ladle to stir occasionally.This prevents formation of residue.

When you think the sound is going to stop ,simmer the flame and let the butter melt in slowly .This ensures good aroma.

You would also never miss the right time to stop the flame.The sound should completely stop and frothing starts.This is the right time to switch off the flame.Wait for some time and transfer the ghee into a stainless steel box .Add a pinch of crystal salt into the container.

9. laamadhura

laamadhura New IL'ite

Hi,

The method we prepare at home is

Buy full cream milk or preferably fresh cow's or buffalo's milk. Boil it well and refrigerate it the whole night.
    Morning we get a thick layer of cream settled on top of the milk.Collect it and accumulate it in a separate box and use the milk. Store the cream in the fridge. Once a fair amount of cream is collected remove the cream from the fridge at night and add 3 table spoons of curd to the cream and stir it well and leave it overnight in room temperature. Morning transfer the contents in the mixie with the whipper blade and add few ice cubes to it and whip this for few minutes. Add water if required. In few minutes of whipping u will find a good amount of butter collected on top leaving the butter milk down. Separate the butter and wash it with good water and then put it in a frying pan and leave it in full flame until the butter has fully melted. Then turn the flame into sim and stir it occasionally. in five to ten minutes u will get a nice aroma of ghee and the content would have turned into a nice yellow ghee. at this time add 2 streaks of drumstick leaves/curry leaves and a pinch of salt and put off the stove. Allow the contents to cool and strain it and store it in an air tight container .

People who do not get creamy milk can get the butter available in super markets, wash it well and boil it in the same procedure to get ghee.

Cheers,
    Madhu.

10. ravioli1970

thanks all but we dont have to boil milk in the US as its already pasteurized. i know women use butter here that was the recipe i was looking for