Maids/Baby sitter for kids!-What is the Right Age

Discussion in 'Delhi & NCR' started by ManuSethi, Aug 31, 2012.

1. ManuSethi

ManuSethi Senior IL'ite

Hey,

My kid is 3 years and I was planning to resume my job but the very thought of leaving my kid alone with the maid or any baby sitter makes me rethink over my decision.

Now a days we hear so many stories related to kidnapping, drug abuse in kids etc etc....I am really not able to put myself firm on this decision.

Last week, heard about a case in which the maid fed Afeem drug to a child so that he/she is sleeping throughout the day.

I am just confused...Please help!

2. MansiS

MansiS Bronze IL'ite

Hey,

I know and can very well understand your confusion, I too took leave from work for my kid and am planning to take leave till she is around 5-6 years,its not that there will be complete safety once she is older but that my MiL and Mom will get retired after 3 years or so and they can shift with us....

You can not trust maids in today's world....the only thing you can do is to ensure you have a family member with the maid in the house and the kid is not alone...

If you are too much into starting your career life again, i will suggest you can put your kid in the daycare instead of leaving him/her alone with the maid or a baby sitter.

3. ohara

ohara Gold IL'ite

ManuSethi, it is a difficult decision to make. In case you want to resume work, you can hire a babysitter or put the kid in a day care.

I am a mother of a 14 month old baby. Though hard, it was my personal choice to continue working so we hired a nanny to take care of him. The nanny has been working for us for the past 6 months. So, i can give you some pointers:
    If you hire a babysitter, do a background check on her. Our nanny came through a fairly reliable source. Ask for an address proof document and keep a copy with you. Ask her a lot of questions about her family and previous employers. Also, make sure she has had some experience in raising a child.
    I too have heard about a lot of incidents on the wrongdoings of baby sitters and we can never be careless about this information. So, try to have somebody maybe a relative or neighbor check on the kid a few times a day.
    Inspite of all precautions, i still tend to be suspicious about the nanny and I keep checking on her.

If you do not want to trust your lil one with anybody, then put her/him in daycare. It is practically a safer environment.