1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Reasonable amount to spend on everyday outfit

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Kera, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Kera

Kera Gold IL'ite

Unlike most people who have problem overspending, I have the opposite problem. I naturally find it difficult to justify spending lot of money on clothing, especially when purchasing American clothing. This result in me not looking as good as I can look. I have been blessed with decent job and I would like to enjoy life but I have this mentality that prevents me from lavishly spending.

I didn’t realize how bad my spending habit is until I took my younger siblings (half my age-teenagers) shopping & they all picked out clothes that cost double what I would normally pick out. They went shopping in stores I normally didn’t bother entering because the price was high. Now I am wondering, why I am not spending on myself when kids half my age spend more? However, I also don’t want to be the brand name conscious over spending girl. I like this down-to-earth not-materialistic chick but I want to look good. Also I really don’t want my lifestyle expense to increase with my salary increase, I want that to be 2 different thing because salary goes up and down.

My goal is to get to that medium level, where my clothes doesn’t scream CHEAP CRAP but also doesn’t scream BRAND NAME SPOIL. Any suggestions?

1 person likes this.

2. sukanyakr

sukanyakr Silver IL'ite

Aww!! looks like u have jotted down right out of my mind... i am in same shoes as u are..dont feel like spending much on cloths. My mind invariably converts to INR for everything that i buy, i wanna stop this but of no use. these days i stepped out of JCP to Kohls which is quite better. have never tried anywhr else... forever21 has good choice and price is decent too. plz share some other stores thats worth visiting...

3. anjish

anjish Silver IL'ite

hello Kera

we are in the same boat. I also do not like to spend money just to look good. slowly slowly this habit overcome my own personality. then one day I was reading a magzine in which they have mention this type of thinking.from that day i make a rule if I save xyz amount then i will purchase a dress. if i will save more than xyz amount then i will go for the brand. so by doing this i have maintain a balance in my life and more important i am satisfied with that.

4. harveysmith27

harveysmith27 New IL'ite

I want to add some thing.
    Simply its up to you. How much you want to spend. For daily routine outfits not that much according to me.

5. abhinavkumar123

abhinavkumar123 Senior IL'ite

Monthly once i spend on outfits.

6. Kera

Kera Gold IL'ite

Anjish – the problem is I don’t know what is a reasonable xyz to spend. I don’t want it to depend on my finance/saving because now as single female I can save more & spend more. But I know once I get married I will have to downgrade due to cost of family & then I might be unhappy because my lifestyle went up. That worry stops me from spending based on a percentage of my earning. I read online that on average people spend 4%-6% of their income on shopping.

Avhinavkumar123- I think you have a good method. If I spend only once a month, I am more likely to buy a nice outfit & be conscious of what I am spending. But I don’t have a set schedule and sometimes go on spending mood other times I pass on amazing item because I am in cheap mood.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  7. Kera

Kera Gold IL'ite

When I was younger we did lot of our shopping in Kmart (this was back in middle school) because that is what my parents could afford. Shopping in Sears or Jcpenny was once in blue moon. Then when I got to High school, Sears and JcPenny became regular staple and Khols soon joined the rank. During university I pretty much shopped from those stores and any item over $20 seemed like a lot to spend on a cloth.

Then when I started working I noticed many of my friends were shopping at higher end stores while making half of what I was making. So I looked outside the department stores & noticed all the small shops. At this point I stupidly started shopping from teenager stores like Aeropostal, Dots, Debs..etc because their price was low (less than $20) and had cute things that I saw my friends wear before. But I wasn’t a teenager or college student anymore and soon after I realize how wrong they are for me. While my skinny friends can pull off wearing junior outfit, I being chubby (mid-20’s) did not look right in dress cutout for teenage girls. This is not the look I want for myself. I wish I shopped in those stores while in college and not 5 years after.

Only recently have I started shopping at Express and NewYork&Co, which I think is more age appropriate for me. Most of the piece in these shops is on average $50-$70, but on sale they go for half off. So now I am comfortable paying $30-$40 for an item but struggle to dash out $50 for 1 piece yet. But I am in my late 20’s already and I feel like I 5 years behind. I should have started shopping in Express & the links when starting my first job. Where else would you recommend is good place?

8. sindhukrishnan

sindhukrishnan New IL'ite

How you carry yourself sometime to some extend tells others your personality. Its like the first impression people get from what kind of clothes and shoes you are wearing. If you are working then dress according to their dress code policy, like business casual. Its not necessary you have wear any designer brand or spend tons .Be smart shopper and get the best deal available in the market. Shop from Kasper, Express, Bebo etc... I always believe in dressing smart and nice..

9. vvvvvv

vvvvvv Silver IL'ite

Top $15. Pants $ 20. Look out for sale. When there is coupons combine that with sale items and buy. You don't have to be branded but wearing decently is very important. Everyday wear is very important.

10. curlytweethere

curlytweethere Platinum IL'ite

I used to spend a lot on clothes when i came here initially. But i have reduced it now although my friends still keep saying that i still spend a lot. But i don't spend much on eating out,movies,outings,electronics so i guess it is balanced ;)
    Below is what i think my budget is right now:
    Tops & blouses-10 to 20$
    Trousers/Skirts -Around 20$
    Dresses - 20-40$

For office i like to wear formals and i like kasper a lot. You get nice suits for 40$ range. I once got a cute skirt for 10$ from there
    And once when i went with my friend since she wanted to shop for an occasion i ended up buying 2 cute dresses because they were 10$ :)