Periods problem after stopping breastfeeding!

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by littledaisy, Aug 16, 2012.

1. littledaisy

littledaisy Senior IL'ite

Hey,

It's been 6 months I have stopped BF my baby but since then my periods have been very irregular......From 30-32 days, they started coming at around 38-40 days and now its been almost 2 months, I still see no signs of my periods coming...

Checked my urine sample 3 times for any preg thing but that's negative.

Please help!

2. ManuSethi

ManuSethi Senior IL'ite

Hello,

There could be two reasons for you not having regular periods:
    1) Your body might be getting adjusted to new hormonal changes after you stopped the breastfeeding.
    2) You could be pregnant again while breast feeding (since you had 2 normal periods, chances are that you were ovulating). The brown discharge you had after two weeks of last period could also suggest implantation bleed.
    Report your doctor/gynecologist to have a complete check to confirm/rule to pregnancy, and get tests done to look for any abnormality in your hormonal status (if you are not pregnant).
    Urine pregnancy tests can come back negative due to less concentration of pregnancy hormone (HCG) in urine during early pregnancy. Discuss with your doctor about getting a blood beta HCG level test to confirm pregnancy.
    Hope this helps. Take care.

3. MansiS

MansiS Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I had the same problem but my periods were back to normal after say 6-8 months.....but in case of spotting which you referred to either it can be a case of irritation of the cervix or its better to consult your doc.

Thanks.

4. Arshi09

Arshi09 New IL'ite

Hello,

It happened with me too....My periods were irregular when I was BF and even when I stopped BF...It took around 7-8 months before every thing was back to normal....

I consulted my gynae regarding it and she was like this is basically becoz of hormonal changes while you are lactating ...once you stop BF, your hormones come back to their normal state slowly which may take around 6-10 months or around a year....
    So do not worry...just wait and watch for a couple of more cycles and then you can consult your doc....or if you are too stressed out...you can talk to your doc ...which will help you..:)

take care.