want to boost my confidence............

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by smith21181, Feb 13, 2008.

1. smith21181

smith21181 Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Could anybody suggest me How I can boost my confidence,bcoz while speaking in english I am feelilng very afraid. Most of the time, words are in my mind ,but it doesn't come out automatically.I couldn't frame the sentence very well.I think its all depends on ur confidence,so I want to boost my confidence.
    plz....Help me .

thanks,
    smith21181

2. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Hi S,

I can say volumes about what is needed to boost ones confidence:

confidence in small talk:
    1. Be aware of how people greet and talk to others, jot down some commonly said phrases and practice them in private with the right pronounciation and facial expression. Once you nail it, there is no stopping you, it comes out naturally.

Confidence while giving a walk thru of the work one has done:

1. Be thoroughly knowledgeable of the work that you are expected to do and the time they are due. Make a project work sheet. Keep updating it as small milestones are achieved daily. In this way when suddenly asked about current work or what is the work status, can easily shoot off answers off the head. When one keeps tabs of ones work and project schedule, can confidently talk about that.

Confidence while giving a project presentation:

Thoroughly do your home work on the project and practice the presentation a few times. Think of all the questions that can be asked and have an answer for them and practice the answers as much as possible.

As you said if your problem that you have is in getting out/ vocalising your thoughts in english language confidently, then only practice will give you that. Speak out often what you are thinking......

3. smith21181

smith21181 Senior IL'ite

Hi Blondie,

Thanks for reply, I will definitely use the tips which u r provided & will give u feedback regarding the same .
    see u later....

4. Rakshana

Rakshana New IL'ite

Confidence comes with experience and experience comes with practice ;)

So just talk as much as you can. Try to read in English, write in it, watch series and movies with no translation, listen to music. This is how many people are able to improve their skills. Don't worry: the more you use English, the more you'll come to think in it and be good with it ;)

5. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Blondie and Rakshana have given you good suggestions.

Also try to overcome your fear. Start practising at home with siblings / parents/spouse etc....so you start gaining command over the language.

Roopa.

6. ashukrishna

ashukrishna Bronze IL'ite

hello smith...

like to share few tips tht i shared vid few friends like u...
    sure .... it wrks welll

1. never feel tht u r impossible.... always hold ur heart n mind ... say it urself tht i'm possible

2. try to read small articles... very familiar one ... which u read more than twice... as u read magazines... it helps in fluency, pronunciation, etc...

3. never try for complex statements as it might lead to grammatical err.

4. always try to use simple sentence.. short n sweet...

5. try to 2 speak among ur friends...in English... (gud friends will definitely unstand u n help u in this)

6. try to read the newpaper , english news, say at least 20-30 mins a day initialy... gradualy u increase...thn go for big novel, magazine etc...

7. when u r in free time r alone... try to speak for urself in english... as the more often u hear the words the more familiar u'll be..

MOST OF ALL*********
    NEVER RESTRICT URSELF...
    AS MY FRIEND SMITH CAN ..N... ONLY SMITH CAN...
    SO LEAVE OF UR UNWANTED FEAR...

if u wish i'm ready to talk with u in english also....

always feel tht god created every body in equal only v feel about our inequality...

u can make other person superior to u.. only if u feel inferior about urself...

dnt wry dear...
    everything's gonna be al right
    CHEERS....!!!:)
    ashu