Austin Vs Bay Area

Discussion in 'Indians in Austin' started by priya25, Aug 11, 2011.

1. priya25

priya25 New IL'ite

Hi I am moving to Austin ( near the Dell office) from N.California.
    Need the following information.
    1) which are the good elementary schools in the area with a good percentage of Indians.?
    2) which are the good apartments in the vicinity with ot of Indian families, so my 6 yr old daughter will have good company?
    Thanks in advance to anyone who could give me the correct inputs.

TC

2. new2austin

new2austin New IL'ite

Welcome to Austin Priya.
    We also moved from the Cupertino area last year.
    As far as I know Round Rock and north Austin will be close for you.

3. jaya777

jaya777 New IL'ite

Hi Priya,

I moved to from sunnyvale , CA to Austin in July. Its just been a month. Its very hot this year :). Even we are planning to buy house in austin. Let me know if you come across any good area/ location here.

Jaya

4. Nov09baby

Nov09baby Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    We moved from BayArea last year and recently bought a home here. It's in Avery Ranch and comes under RoundRock ISD. lots of Asians in this area. We have a 21 month old and a 6 month old.

5. reena007

reena007 New IL'ite

Hi Ladies

i need some help from you. We are in fremont ca and are thinking of Austin. Can you tell me how it is different from Fremont. Someone told me I wont miss Bay area a lot. WHat are the prices of the houses close to good schools. where do we have most Indian population in terms of Indian homeowners, which neighbourhood is good. I am looking for good schools for my kids 4 and 2 yrs old. I heard the houses are huge etc....it is a big decision for me to move and i would appreciate all help. Ladies who moved from bay area do u think the saving potential is high there...please tell me as much as you can...thanks for all the help in advance...

6. Nov09baby

Nov09baby Senior IL'ite

Hi Reena,
    We moved from Sunnyvale last year. Initially, I was apprehensive but the place is far better than I expected. There are lots of Indians and the number is growing, ESP. People moving here from CA.I also heard that the public schools here are really nice. Regarding housing, yes it's vale for money. You can rent a 2 bed apartment in the 1000-1100 range or can look for homes in 250K range with about 2500 sft. rest everything remains the same in terms of expenses. It is housing that make the big difference. You also have to factor in that salary might not be as high as in CA but at the same time there's no state tax here. Avery Ranch is a very nice community with lots of Asians and good school here in North Austin. Steiner Ranch and Westlake, Beecaves are the other popular neighborhoods. hope this info is helpful

7. jananichennai

jananichennai New IL'ite

Hi Priya25,

Did you get the details you were looking for?
    My husband is also joining Dell and we are alos moving from bay area. I have a 11 month old son.
    Which apartment did you rent?
    Hows life at Roundrock?

8. reena007

reena007 New IL'ite

Hi Nov09baby...thank you so much for your reply. I apologise I did not login and missed your reply. My husband works for dell and we bought a house in Pleasanton Ca last yr. I sometimes feel that Bay area is a expensive place and that we could save if we move to Austin. I still have questions like how is the life there as compared to bay area..here we have lot of Indian friends...are the amenities the same like Bay area...when people say it is different...in what sense do u mean it is different. Would you want to come back to bay area given a chance...sorry if I am asking too many questions but its hard to take a decision and I want to make an informed one!!! Again thanks for all your help!

9. radhika_shankar

radhika_shankar New IL'ite

Planning to move from Bay area to Austin

We are planning to move from Bay area to Austin as I got a job there.

Are there others who moved from Bay area to austin too ?

My son is 4 years old and he used to go to Challenger School here and we have transferred his admission to Austin.

What are the good apartments near Challenger school, Avery ranch ?

We were thinking of choosing Riverton apartments but I dont know how good is it.

Are there parks for kids to play at ? My son is pretty much used to going to the park in the evening, so wanting to know this information too.

Can you please let me know the information at the earliest.

Thanks in advance for responding. Your answers will be really helpful in making the right decision for me.

Thanks again!

Radhika

10. Nov09baby

Nov09baby Senior IL'ite

Re: Planning to move from Bay area to Austin

Hi,
    We moved in 2010 from Bay Area and live in Avery Ranch. I am not sure about apartments close to challenger but I am guessing there might be many Indians in Riverton apartments. My kids are 2.5 years and 17 months old. Have you looked at renting a home in Avery Ranch ?