1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The nine yard nightmare!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by meenasankaran, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    I just read your reply & cannot help "butting" in - Meena, you have no choice but to pardon me!
    Men "donning"' non transparent dhotis & that too, unwashed new ones, does make women turn away lest their embarassment be noticed by others. But the professional sastrigals wear it so well, I wonder how??
    Thank God, our sarees are thick & we are saved!

1 person likes this.
  2. lgirish

lgirish Platinum IL'ite

Chitra ma`am the tambrahm guys of today are smarter. The first item they make ready before shopping for new veshtis is shorts(or longs!) so that they don`t need to appear like silk smitha flaunting their thunder thighs on the stage in front of all the guests. I know many gals who advice their would be husbands about shorts and they themselves buy leggings to be worn inside madisar.I still wonder how mamis of yesteryears managed to wear madisar every day. My mom was intimidated by my dad`s grandma that she should never cross the entrance of the house without wearing madisar. Poor thing my mom was later allowed to wear 6 gajam. All the extra gajams were given make over as half sarees for the young girls of the house.

3. letsknow

letsknow Silver IL'ite

Hi Meena, your narration is very funny

4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

A typical Meena-larious post ,LOL. I enjoyed it immensely Meenu :thumbsup

But on the madisar I have this to say...it somehow seems to suit short round women more. Of course,I was proven wrong by Sridevi in meendum kokila who made it look really sexy indeed.:)

Missed you here, Meenu.Hope you had a nice holiday.:cheers

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Meena,
    My children say, ' Amma, you look too fat in this dress'. :-(
    As this is on my wish list ti learn, I thought let me try in this outfit in the 6 yards and learnt it from my Chithi and my Amma..even though it was easier, I tend to forget the tips for a neat, no leg pulling motion. :)
    Last year, when my mother was here, she had a spare 9 yard for herself and got one for me to teach..still I am learning..
    I love penguins, Meena. I like their 'gentlemanly' walk...from now on, that picture is gpoing to be '9 yard clad womanly walk' :)

Sriniketan

1 person likes this.
  6. bhansnig

bhansnig Senior IL'ite

Hi Meena
    Just read your post and havent stopped laughing.Can visualize your plight.
    My mom and aunts all looked so graceful in their madisar and used to love it till i had to wear it.
    Mindian
    It does look good on short round women but it still is difficult to wear and if one has become rounder then the nine yards are just not sufficient.

7. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

He he, you are too smart for me, dear Satchi. I didn't think anyone would expose my diabolical intentions so quickly. What is it they say about spreading one's (mis) fortunes?? :rotfl

I shudder at that image Satchi. I just returned from my vacation in India. Throughout my time there, my parents insisted on watching TV serials that starred atleast half a dozen women like this every day. I was worried about their health for these women can give some serious indigestion, I think. Since I don't have the stomach for it, I think I will stay away from the Relationships forum. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. meenasankaran

I will try to do that Orion. Thank you for the appreciation.

9. meenasankaran

Thank you outofthebox. I love your avatar, by the way. :)

10. meenasankaran

Dear lgirish,

That is no mean task (I know) so you should be very proud of yourself. :thumbsup

As for preparing madi sarees, that task fell on my head this year and I used my penguin walk to get me to the terrace where I proceeded to do a vicious battle with the sea breeze to get the 9 yard sarees to stay on the line just enough to go from dripping to damp. Whew! Next time I am going to raise my hand for fighting King Kong and let someone else in the family deal with madi sarees. Enough is enough, I say.

1 person likes this.