1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bed time stories and the aftermath……..

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by knbg, Aug 21, 2012.

1. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    As a child……I grew up listening to bed-time stories by my grandparents………:coffee

Not the Enid Blyton stories….which I eventually read when I was 7 or so……..
    These were the regular bed-time stories………

Crow and the flattering Fox………
    Fox that turned it’s back to ‘sour grapes’……
    Pancha-tantra tales………
    Aesob’s fables……….
    Mulla stories…..
    Puranas…….etc., etc.,

With the old GE ceiling fan creeking at the background…….in tune with the crickets……

I would nod and say….”mmmm….mmm…” after every pause…..
    I did not mind the repetations…….and shared a lovely bond with my grand parents……..

I absorbed the morals that would be said at the end with a stress and was a good-kid………..

Later….with Enid Blyton’s Bed-time stories……..
    enid-blyton-bedtime-story-book1.jpg

I would dream of the nice setting of the kid’s room in the illustrations and picked the morals in the stories too…….

Years rolled……….and I became a mother………..

I started telling all the stories to my DS…….

He listened them……..nodded…..said “mmm…mmm…” and picked the morals when he was a little kid…….

But, he would not stand repeatations………and as his wings grew a little………he started reading by himself………

So, no story-telling for me ………:banana

In the mean while……
    I faced a few problems with people………

Back- stabbing…..…Cheating…….…. Gossips……….etc., etc.,

Last night…..in a reflective mood……..my thoughts wandered………
    animated-smileys-thinking-17.gif

I saw myself …….

As the crow that lost it’s ‘vada’ to a flattering fox……..( “Bhabi…your eye-liner bindis are awesome…….”)
    digika_4_crow_and_fox.jpg

As the fish that trusted the words of the crane…….
    As the dog who dropped the bone in the stream barking at his own reflection……
    As the crane who was invited to a ‘thanks giving’ lunch by the fox……

All these stories and the ritual of story-telling at night have a lot of positive effects……not only to the child who listens to them….but also to adults who tell them too……..:bonk

I re-started the story-telling last night……..with the panchatantra tale of “Owls and Crows…”…..

My DS…….with all the over dose of Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes, Snoopy, Geronimo etc., etc.,…….listened with interest……and interspersing “mmmm….mmmm…”

I un covered my memory of the good morals….. that were buried deep inside….by layers of thermodynamics….calculus and family fueds……….:thumbsup

12 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Bhargavi dear glad to know you grew up listening to bed time stories from your grandmother. Their stories are worth listening and you are lucky to have heard from them and good that you picked up the morals too. Glad now your son is listening to the bed time stories. I am sure he will be also like his mama an all rounder.

1 person likes this.
  3. sujisaran

sujisaran Silver IL'ite

hi dear

my dad use to tel me bed time stories like hat seller and monkey and kings stories. i enjoyed his way of narration like how horse makes sound while running that memories are very precious. i want to learn some nice stories to tell my little one in future . nice post !!

1 person likes this.
  4. knbg

Thank you dear Viji aunty for your affectionate wishes and sweet FB......:)

Thank you dear Suji for joining me here.....nice to see you.....
    Yes, such type of narration makes a mark in young hearts and the morals too remain in the mind for long.......
    Wish you all the best dear............:thumbsup

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Bhargavi,

Story telling and reading books for children are becoming thing of the past. I am so happy to hear a proud mother not only writing about her experience of listening to moral stories but also doing it to her son. I used to tell bed time stories to my son when he was young and it built a great amount of bonding between the two of us. My wife used to teach him slokas to him Even though, he is very smart in making decisions of his own now at the of 23 (turning 24 in November), he still validates all his decisions with both of us.

You are creating a remarkable impact in the mind of your son and keep doing it as long as you could. I wish the best for your son and he will do great with such a wonderful mother.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  6. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

Its so nice Bhargavi that you tell bed time stories to your son. The Jataka tales, Panchatantra tales, Aesop's fables, they make such an interesting read and also interesting for story telling.
    There are a lot of good take aways from it and will definitely benefit you son in the long run and when we are ourselves affected in some way, the morals just boost us and make us strong to undergo the challenges of life!

1 person likes this.
  7. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Bhargavi this is what Parenting.You had a good Parenting and now you are giving back to your DS.This is the treasure we give to our children and they do a wonderful Parentage to us when we become old.My son always say "Ma don't think of the traitors and spoil your health.You have lost nothing but earned Good children"Don't think of the past and make yourself hurt.Very nice writeup dear.

1 person likes this.
  8. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for sharing and reminding.

I also grew up on stories. Loads of them. Initially Dad would tell us stories at bedtime or on weekend afternoons. Me mom and dad were all at same school them as teachers and me as student. Later when mom had additional responsibility of school library, I was a happy kid. She would open the book shelves at school when the teachers had meeting, and I would put a chair inside reading right there. During holidays we would bring dozens of them and finish within a few days. There would be a book seller in weekly bazaar and we would get two books each week. Need to check the family archives and get those Gulbakawali, Hatim, Sinbad, Sinhasan Battisi.
    Vaidehi

1 person likes this.
  9. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Thats a nice piece Bhargavi Madam. Enjoyed reading it and liked the way you applied those stories to adults as well. Thanks for sharing. Just a little try from my side:

Most of us had the privilege then
    To hear a lot of great stories
    From our dear grandparents when
    We went to bed without a worry.

They sure opened the magic world,
    Where animals and plants speak
    And ended with a moral good as gold
    Thats valued high and hard to seek.

When we grew up, we left them
    Hidden in dark corners of the mind,
    And dig out only a tenth of them
    As others are so hard to find.

When we say them to our kids,
    They are so happy and we're too.
    For we discover what was hid
    In those stories, and relish too.

Then we figure out that we are
    Nothing but characters in them.
    Flattery, deceit and haughtiness are
    A few to which we react like them.

There is a little solace that we found.
    We end up being the ones to lose
    To the cunning ways of others around.
    Glad that its not the other way around.

10. knbg

Dear Viswa Sir,
    Thank you very much for your kind words and blessings......:)
    Special thanks for sharing your experience in parenting.....It sure is a boost for me........:)