1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Chivalry AND / OR equality

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by smritisinha, Aug 20, 2012.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Precisely.

Chivalry in all it's other meanings is now absolutely outdated. If anything counts today it is only courtesy and generosity. Holding a door open for someone or pulling a chair for someone need not always be only a case of something a man does for a woman because she is weak. It is just basic courtesy. I am sure we hold the door open for anyone following us into a room. It is just common decency, good manners. So why should we feel bad if someone holds a door open for us?

5 people like this.
  2. anonymou

anonymou Silver IL'ite

Its courtesy if it is done from one person to another irrespective of genders involved. It is chivalry if done from man to woman because he is man and other is woman. I like former.

2 people like this.
  3. Foundlove

Foundlove Gold IL'ite

My opinion is that if a Man expects little gestures from women that existed in the past like:
    1. Only the woman will do housework.
    2. Only the woman should take all responsibilities of kids.
    3. Laundry, dishes - her
    4. Like medieval times she should forget her relations and folks and only think about her husband and in laws .

There are more. But if he thinks a woman is supposed to that then he Ought to be Chivalrous and open the damn door for her.

If he considers her an equal human being and equally participate and co operate in all household and outside work. Then no need. He is being Chivalrous in his Deeds.

3 people like this.
  4. jmsd

jmsd Silver IL'ite

Very well said!!

5. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

I dont think it needs elaboration.! What you said is crystal clear and true too!!

I vote for "healthy-inequality" and good behavior :)

1 person likes this.
  6. smritisinha

Ya maybe I shouldn't :confused2: But then why did I felt awkward about it.. May be because he was grinning with 32 whites or mmm... Anyways, I do get your point..

Basic courtesy, generosity. And not necessarily from a man to a woman right.. Should be vice versa too. and no one obliges the other by doing so. It is good manners.

So it is not a question of co-existence of chivalry and equality. Equality is must and it is not present so we fight for it, and we're right. Chivalry is good manners and we have it so nothing wrong if a man has it too.. But in no case can my husband tell me that because we expect good manners (i.e. chivalry) we can not fight for equality.. I can and I will.. Right ????

3 people like this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Absolutely Smriti. The next time he raises the topic, show him the definition of the word. Hopefully he will not mention it again. :-D

2 people like this.
  8. smritisinha

Not so smart afterall....:hide:

9. freddycat

freddycat Platinum IL'ite

smriti,

Your DH is getting better at plotting your ways of thinking and became a good listener, reached to the point of manipulating the answers to your questions. :mrgreen:

10. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

i would like a bit of both in my husband...thankfully (finally after a hard struggle through 4 yrs of marriage) hes finally understood the art of balancing both (thanks to me :))

but when it comes to third persons...i dont mind when they are chivalrous .... to me that shows that they are respectful towards women (nevermind though how or what their opinions abt women's rights are) .... but i have come across certain characters who i believe are fit to be displayed in the museum for their super selfish and rude behaviour ...... like when i was pregnant first time, i politely asked the person sitting in front of the cab seat to move back since i could sit cramped in the back seat and he had the guts to ask me to prove i was pregnant that too when i was in my 8th month :rant..... i never stop pitying their wives though :bonk

my hubbie dearie is thanfully now a bit of both....i had mentioned how he is "way to fair" with things and gives equal (=) rights to me and demands them too in one of my posts ....... but the good part is when he shows or does things like carrying bags for me or holding doors open, i term it as his love for me

but i do get to pay a price for his chivalrous attitude :spin ...like the other day, he insisted on carrying the entire shopping bags entire himself (should have weighed around 10 kgs) and was adamant and created a scene saying it was his duty, i needed to enjoy looking around ...... everybody around me looked at me like i was one satan incarnate for overworking my hubby ... but alas after reaching home, my dearie fell on bed with a sore backache and woke me up at 2AM asking me to massage his back .... humm ... at times i do hate this chivalrous attitude :bonk

1 person likes this.