1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby fell down over head

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sweetyk, Aug 17, 2012.

1. sweetyk

sweetyk Gold IL'ite

Hi,

My daughter fell down from bed the other day over her head(back). She fell down on hard floor. She cried for some time and is behaving normal. I observed her and she is active, watching TV, playing etc.

Still I feel really worried for what had happened. I did called her doctor today and left a voice message with the nurse asking for if I need her to go through any examination.

very worried.

Sweety

2. stork82

stork82 Silver IL'ite

Did she immediately cry? If yes, you do not have to worry. In any case, take her to the doctor and have the doctor check her up. She will be alright.

3. Aarathy

Aarathy New IL'ite

when my sister-in-laws son fell down the same way,the doctor told us that if the baby is normal,there will not be any problem..only if the child vomits or becomes unconscious,we have to worry...anyway,check with a doctor too

4. DDC

DDC Silver IL'ite

Please watch her carefully the entire day. Some symtomps you could watch out for are
    Excessive sleepiness/drowsiness, increased irritability etc.
    Here is a link that might help
    Concussion: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

A quick test you can do at home to rule out a concussion is for pupil dialtion. Shine a flash light in you baby's eye & move the light away. If the pupil changes size at a normal speed & if both pupils are of the same size , she is fine. If she is watching TV then she is probably ok. But do get her checked out by her Dr.

Dont worry, she will be fine.

5. aryanlady

aryanlady Junior IL'ite

You have got a lot of helpful suggestions here. I dont have anything to add. Just wanted to say, She will be fine and it's ok. Dont worry. All is well. Happens all the time. Baby's head are much more stronger than we think..

6. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

My DD fell down from the bed 2 days back, she cried a lot and then she was normal. Today, while she was sitting, she lost balance and fell on her back. She cried a lot again and then was very irritated and clingy to me. She didn't eat properly as well. I'll be calling her ped tomorrow. I'm very worried. I didn't notice any other symptoms mentioned here, apart from irritability.

She hasn't started standing/walking yet. Once she starts, I'm sure there will be more such situations. How can I make sure she doesn't fall that much on her head? Though I'm with her always, sometimes these things happen in a second, beyond my control. Experienced mommies, please advise.

7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Sweety, if she is watching tv and all, she probably is fine don't worry. To put your mind at rest, might as well take her to doctors.

@Karanu, I don't think there is any effective way of not letting kids fall. There is only so much we can protect. Child proof the home against sharp edges etc. if there is anything else, I would love to know too.
    Small bumps and scratches are part of childhood I guess. I am dreadIng the day if and when my LO falls.

8. sheetalvan

sheetalvan New IL'ite

hey, even my daughter fell down from the bed some 10 days back exactly the same way. she cried immediately after falling, I put little sugar in her mouth and looks like she forgot... then she slept for some time and then after that she was back to normal,. so don't worry...these are part of our life.....

9. sweetyk

sweetyk Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much. Really i am glad to see so many caring replies. They all means a lot to me at present.

Yes, I took her to doc today. Doc did some examination and said she is fine. But I am seriously still not able to forget how she fell down. Now me and DD are sleeping on floor. Not sure if crib is a better choice I packed her crib in store room as I was in an impression "its more dangerous"..

Ya she cried for 15 mins immediately after she fell down..and 30 mins later I fed her cereal and she ate.

May God safe guard
    all our kids friends..

Thank you one and all for replying me..

love,
    sweety

10. stork82

stork82 Silver IL'ite

Thatz very nice to hear Sweety. (Generally when the original poster comes back with updates, it makes the other posters feel that their time and replies are valued. :)). BTW how old is your daughter? Is your home carpetted? If your daughter is not old enough to climb over the crib, you may consider putting her in it.

1 person likes this.