1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

cooking with coconut oil

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Sdevir, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Sdevir

Sdevir New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Does anyone here cook with coconut oil? Is it good for health? For how long have you been using it? I read somewhere that consuming coconut oil is good for you. If you do use it is there a specific brand thats good?
    Thanks in advance,

Sdevir

2. sai123

sai123 New IL'ite

i never used coconut oil for cooking and use only oilive oil for cooking
    is coconut oil good for health??

3. Pia

Pia New IL'ite

Hi,

I use olive oil also.I didnot know that coconut oil was good for health??

Pia

4. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Hi sdevr,

i have read that cooking in coconut oil is not good for health ,esp in cold countries since cocnut oil tends to solidfy and is very bad for the heart. But then other day i read it in some site extra virgin cocnut oilis very good for people those who want to loose diet.Big Laugh

Frankly speaking, i m confused, but i do like the falvour and aroma of food cooked in coconut oil. so i think u can do some more searches and then decide.

cheers
    vaidehi

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Sdevir,
    Cooking with coconut oil is not advisable due to its 'saturated fat' content.
    Using it sparingly once in a while, is fine, but just add a little bit to the recipes, if needed.

sriniketan

6. janaki70

janaki70 New IL'ite

Hi,
    Coconut oil is not good for health. We avoid to use coconut oil is best.

7. theamma

theamma Bronze IL'ite

Many years ago I used to cook with coconut oil. When I heard it clogs the arteries, I stopped it. I cook in Canola oil and would like to switch to olive oil,which is supposed to be good. It will take time for me to get used to the smell.
    People say coconut oil is bad for cholesterol,but, I wonder- The people of Kerala always used only coconut oil and used a lot of coconut in all their cooking. I hear they don't have a higher rate of heart problems than their counterparts from neighboring states. I wonder if it is because of the fish they eat? If so, the Kerala Brahmins who live there don't eat fish but consume coconut and coconut oil in all their dishes. Do they have more heart problems ? Does eating fish balance the ill-effects of the coconut? Would like to hear from doctors who can answer this question.

8. worshiper

worshiper New IL'ite

Cooking with coconut oil is really very beneficial to health.Coconut oil can prevent cancer. Health of thyroid function has also been linked to reduced risk of cancer. Studies have shown the occurrence of cancer to be lower, and in some cases non-existent in areas that are based on saturated oils.