Your experience as a tourist

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by sushmasrivastav, Jul 28, 2012.

1. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Hi all
    I recently visited Jaipur. I have often seen posters of Rajasthan tourism with a shy rajasthani lady saying "PADHARO MHARO DESH". I found the people of the state quite friendly and down to earth. I visited the Jaipur during the last week of December. Even the railway station was decked up with twinkling bulbs. This was perhaps in anticipation of the December tourist rush. Still it shows how even the govt./administration is prepared to welcome tourists.
    I feel Rajasthan is a tourist friendly state. In the few days I spent there I visited the Amer Fort, and the famous Hawa Mahal. Among other tourist friendly measures, is the fact that Jaipur has the Tourist Police who will aid a tourist in a difficulty.
    I would like to know the experience of fellow Ilites in other Indian states. :cheers

2 people like this.

2. Isabel66

Isabel66 Junior IL'ite

Thanks Sushma for starting this thread. I found the national capital of Delhi quite friendly. There are so many historical monuments in Delhi from the Slave Dynasty Qutub Minar to the Mughal era monuments like the Humayun Tomb and the Red Fort. Then there are British era buildings like the North and South Block, and the India Gate. Also there are recent memorials like the Indira Gandhi Memorial.
    Delhi has a very efficient Metro service. The first two coaches of the Metro are reserved for ladies. The Delhi Metro now covers almost all tourist destinations. In addition, Delhi has an official HOP ON HOP OFF A.C. Bus service. The ticket charges are only Rs 300/- and you can get off and board a HOHO bus as many times a day as you like. Delhi Police is also known as one of the best Police forces in India. However I feel like other cities of India, women tourists should be careful.

2 people like this.
  3. HarleenSethi

HarleenSethi New IL'ite

Hi Sushma
    I recently paid a visit to the holy city of Puri. It is situated in the state of Odisha and is famous for its Lord Jagganath Temple. The annual Car festival draws devotees from all over the world. Puri is one of the four Dhams of Hindu religion.
    Puri is also famous for its sea beach. There are numerous hotels right on the sea front. It is best to book your accomodation in advance. The hotel rates and food are reasonable. The city is a favourite with tourists from Bengal who combine a pilgrimage with a few days stay at a sea beach.
    However, as with all Hindu pilgrimage centres one should be careful of the pandas at the Jagganath temple.

2 people like this.
  4. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

I am settled in Delhi. I agree with Isabel. Delhi being the national capital has many tourist friendly features. There are many option to go around from HOHO buses, to the Metro, to the three wheeler scooter, to cars and buses.
    Most of the monuments and tourist places are also well maintained. There are many agencies to look after them. The famous Aga Khan trust was involved in the restoration work of the Nizamuddin Dargah.
    Another big advantage of Delhi is that you can easily visit two other tourist circuits - the Agra, Mathura, Vrindaban and Haridwar circuit and the Jaipur- Ajmer circuit.

1 person likes this.
  5. shaliniku

shaliniku Senior IL'ite

Hi Sushma
    I liked your thread. Recently after visiting the shrine of Mata VaishnoDevi, I had a brief stopover at Jammu. I liked the city a lot. You can easily get around with 3 wheelers. Jammu has a good market- you can shop for everything from walnut to warm woollen suits to aam papad etc.
    Of course with the Kashmir problem and all that, security was a bit tight at the famous Raghunath ji Mandir. Actually it is a simple temple, but it is at an important traffic junction - and so a target. Anyhow,Jammu is also a city of temples. Most of the temples have been built by one of the Jammu Maharajas. Most of temples are dedicated to Lord Shiva and abound with shiva lingams. I also saw a massive sphatik shiva lingam.
    Hope more Ilites join in and record their experiences.:)

2 people like this.
  6. Ashapatel

Ashapatel Junior IL'ite

Hi
    Nice thread. I recently paid a visit to Srinagar. I was a little afraid of all the violence. In any case we booked our entire trip with a travel agent. It was a package deal and included a houseboat stay. He arranged for a car to pick us up at the airport and dropped us off at the hotel. The car accompanied us through out our stay for 5 days. We visited nearby tourist spots like Gulmarg and Phalgam.
    I must say one thing - IF KASHMIR IS CALLED PARADISE ON EARTH, it is really so. The tall chinar trees by the roadside, the beautiful Dal Lake - it is really heaven on earth. The local population are also tourist friendly. They know that tourism is their life line. When the car driver dropped me at the airport - he requested me to convey the idea of a tourist friendly Kashmir to my friends and relatives.
    I only hope I would be able to make another trip to Kashmir.

1 person likes this.
  7. RiddhimaT

RiddhimaT Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sushma,

Yeah, I saw the same thing in GOA....I like the way, goan people welcome their guests be it in a restaurant, a hotel, a club or even at a party...they are so friendly.

Actually,I happen to see a beach wedding when I visited Goa last summer....We were just having a feel of how it is done.....
    May be there were few people from the host family who saw us looking so excited at the concept of beach wedding that they actually came over and invited us to be a part of it. We tried to refuse but then they were so friendly, they offered us their local cuisine and danced their way to their traditional dances...
    I just loved the experience.

Even the police be of Goa is too tourist friendly....!

I just feel like going to that place Again :)

2 people like this.
  8. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    Thanks Asha and Riddhima Tfor joining in.

9. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Hi Asha,

Can you please share packge detailof your Srinagar trip.After going backto India ,we also want to go Srinagar and looking for good deals. My parents had visited Srinagar last year while coming back from Amarnaath and they had a great experience similar to you, but it was not through package as it was a unplanned trip.

10. Ashapatel

Ashapatel Junior IL'ite

Hi Priya
    Thanks for your response. I believe you should visit Kashmir at least once. In fact, this summer people all over India visited Kashmir. There were record tourist arrivals and the houseboat owners even said that they are booked upto August. I am planning to go again.
    There are a number of packages available. You can select as per your preferences. Obviously rates go up for 5star accomodation. There are a number of website that customize a package for you. For example www.makemytrip.com. You can google for other good website offering Srinagar packages.
    Do let me know if you need any further information.