Breakfast ideas - Items which can be stored for 3-4 days

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by AnanyaAjay, Aug 6, 2012.

1. AnanyaAjay

AnanyaAjay Silver IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I need some breakfst ideas from u..

I am a home maker currently and have good amount of spare time.. But in mornings I will be so busy cooking for lunch for my hubby, DD, BIL and co-sis that I dont get time to prepare breakfast for them. So everyday I end up giving them either chapati made for lunch, or some other bread, biscuits, poha, etc.

I want some ideas on how I can prepare some dishes and store them so that they can take it temselves as I wont have time to serve.

I hope u got my point.

2. barbies

barbies Senior IL'ite

some one please answer?

3. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Hai ananya, i knew it from menu rani chellam madam show...

1.instant adai mix

Rice - 1 cup
    urud dhal - 1/4 cup
    thuvar dhal - 1/4 cup
    channa dhal - 1/4 cup
    moong dhal - 1/4 cup
    red chillies - 10-12
    salt
    asofoedita

Fry all these items in a pan without oil, till it turns to light golden (not brown). Grind these items into a course powder in a mixer. If u want to do adai, just mix the small amount of grinded powder to a water and buttermilk mixture for half an hour. And make adai dosai instantly. You can have coconut chutney for sidedish.

These are my mom's preparation:

2. Instant rava dosai.

Fry one cup of rava until it becomes golden brown, and keep it in a tight container outside/in fridge.

if u want to do dosai, take some amount of mixture and add it in the thick buttermilk, add salt, take a pan and fry mustard seeds, curry leaves, chopped ginger in oil and add these mixture in the buttermilk, the batter should be watery and not be so thick. Keep it aside for half an hour and make dosai, it will be nice.

Instant rava idly - same procedure as said above but just add soaked poha (10 mins) in the mixture to get a nice batter. Put it in the idly plate and steam it for 5-7 mins, Idly ready. Pls avoid ginger incase of idly. Serve with any chutney.

3. Wheat dosai -

Wheat flour - 1 cup
    Rice flour - 2 tbsp
    jeera - 1 tsp
    salt
    green chillies - chopped 1 or 2

Mix all these in a water and the batter should not be so thick like regular dosa. It should be like rava dosai batter. Keep it aside for half an hour and make healthy wheat dosai. Serve with Idly chilli powder or any chutney.

4. Aval upma -

Soak aval in a tamarind water(medium thickness) for 10 mins, (put salt and turnmeric powder in the tamarind water itself) and squeeze the excess water and keep it aside.
    In a pan, add oil, after heating the oil, add mustard seeds, red chilly, green chilly, urud dhal, curry leaves and fry it till it becomes golden brown. Now add the squeezed aval in the pan and saute for 3 mins. It will be delicious.

4 people like this.
  4. Sanguineme

Sanguineme Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I can understand your problem. I had also gone through the same stage. Please do not cook any food n store in fridge. Because the nutirent part of the food we prepare will be lost in just three hours.

My suggestions for breakfast: (I am not sure if you would like south indian food)
    1. Puttoo - This is just rice flour steamed, this can be mixed with grated coconut n sugar n served.

2. Poha/Upma - U can have the vegetable cut in the night and prepare poha in the morning. It will take harldy 15 mins. U can have this prepared with Oats/ Aval, etc. We have lot of healthy options.

3. Cereals - U can give this once in a week as this also has lot of nutrients

Hope it is of use to u :)

2 people like this.
  5. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Hai ananya,

I forgot to tell u, these batters u can keep it fridge for 2 days also. Also u can make it in the night itself and in the morning u can readily do these.

Instant adai mix alone, you can keep refrigerate for some days, as it contains only dry items.

1 person likes this.
  6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ananya
    I agree with sanguineme ...Why not the cornflakes with few dry fruits added and milk there are variety available and also i suggest you check chitvish jiffy recipes it is quick fix...

here is the link
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/a...fy-cooking-planning-menus-all.html#post172757

and also Bhucat has given wonderful ideas... with those dosas any chutney powder with a bit of warm oil will go well..

1 person likes this.
  7. bhappy

bhappy Silver IL'ite

thank you for these wonderful ideas.

1 person likes this.
  8. AnanyaAjay

AnanyaAjay Silver IL'ite

Dear Bhucat and Sanguine,

Thanks a lot!!! Yeah I do like south Indian dishes but my hubby is very selective... He doesn't like me to experiment anything on him!!! That too in the morning I can't take risk!!! So I am limited to simple dishes like poha, dosa, idly, etc.

VJB I will surely check this link!!! Thanks! :)

9. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

you can make idlies , dosa in the night and put milagai podi ennai on that and keep them in the freezer. morning your DH and sis in law can take the pack and keep in the MW and eat.

Like this you can make chappati in the night and roll them with curry or jam and keep them in the freezer. morning you can heat them in MW and eat as it is :)

I think this will help you. let me think and give you somemore ideas :)