1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My two yr old, not eating fruits :(

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by redbird1, Jul 25, 2012.

1. redbird1

redbird1 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Moms,

I joined IL recently, my son is a picky eater. He is 2 yrs. Make him eat is a himalayan task for me.

He hates fruits. The very smell of fruit makes him vomit. Before 6 to 8 months, I used to force him to eat.(that too only apple blended with milk and sugar).I have tried all fruits in different ways, steaming them, mixing with different cereals, but nothing worked out.:drowning

I am worrying, he is not getting essential nutrients. As he is not taking fruits he is constipated. Even if he takes atleast one fruit out of the lot we get, I would be very happy.

Moms pls suggest some ways for me.:help

2. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi redbird,

Welcome to IL........:welcome

My DS used to like only oranges......then, I tried an activity.......

"Making fruit salad"......

I made him bring the fruits from fridge, count them, put them in the bowl etc etc., and while doing that , I would also tell him the names, colors and goodness of each fruit.......with some chopped cashews and almonds, a little fresh cream and honey....My DS started liking fruits.....:)

You can also make fruit smoothies with yoghurt......

Good luck and do share your experience.......:thumbsup

3 people like this.
  3. parusabari

parusabari Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Sometimes children may not like the peel of many fruits. So try to peel the skin of apple and chop into very fine pieces and offer to him.
    Also you can mix finely chopped fruit pieces with youghurt and add some sugar/honey.

You can try stuffed paratha also by grating some fruits.
    Dont worry, He will start liking it soon.

Parvathi.

4. redbird1

redbird1 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Bhargavi and Parvathi,

Yougurt, paneer, cheese a big NO from him, since he takes milk I am fine with the essentials from the dairy part.

Recently he started tasting ice creams, so am planning to introduce different fruit flavors through ice cream.

He never takes dry fruits, today I tried steaming dates and cashews with carrot, and blend them with milk and sugar. He liked it, am positive he will soon take fruits. In two months time he will be in pre-school, seeing other kids he might change he eating habits.

Hoping for the best :)

5. redbird1

redbird1 Bronze IL'ite

After a week of efforts, i tried apple with the usual carrot pulp he has. My DS enjoyed the carrot apple smash. I have a doubt whether we can use cardamom in the daily food. Does Cardamom have any effects if taken daily?

6. pala

pala New IL'ite

Hi Redbird,

My DD is 2+ and she does not eat any fruit.. I tried all ways, but she does't like fruits.. But she eats all veggies.. I give her palak dal, methi dal, and all vegetable along with roti and she enjoys eating roti..

Try to give sweet potato, green peas and tofu...All of these have good amount of vitamins and minerals and protein..

Good luck..

Nikitha..

1 person likes this.
  7. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for sharing so many tips everyone..i need to try the fruit salad recipe and method of feeding the toddler...