1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

need to vent!!

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by psych, Jul 31, 2012.

1. poojachinoy

poojachinoy Gold IL'ite

@psych - if your DH wants to call his father for 5 days,then make sure he is responsible for the financial stuff for him..because coming for 5 days to america from india is insane even when money is in excess...you dont be bothered about this FIL trip...he can come and go on husbands financial reserves..let hm bear the loss and realize it himself..cant do anything for such people..they have to be burnt more than once to become shy in the long run..

as for your dad,let him keep his schedule as is and make it very clear that he is NOT going to leave in 5 days whatever stupid reasons mite arise, as he is planning on spending time with both brother and you..once he lands if possible set him up at your brothers place for 5 days and then get him over to your place.

for your SIL'S marriage,just keep out of it as it involves lying..even if things were honest enough,it would not have been recommended to get involved in SIL's matters especially those pertaining to marriage...but out of good will one is getting involved then atleast the grounds should be honest enough!

2 people like this.
  2. psych

psych Gold IL'ite

yea - apart from seething i dont have much choice. BUT I am not giving anymore from my savings

i didnt get involved...they called and asked me tocall...since i can represent myself better they ask me and then if i give an opinion i get kicked in the $utt..Foolish girl like me dont realize...In order to make things better between me and DH I agreed to do it...But next time round, if a request comes I will politely deny.

But if FIL comes into my house and starts talking abt his daughter I will give my opinion as this is my house (as I live here and I need full respect in my house) I can take DH's tantrums but will not tolerate FIL's tantrums

pooja-why did you suggest that my dad goes to brothers place first? I was hoping he would be here that way he can help me with cooking. FIL is no help - just sits and whines about food. last time round he had an issue with how i am serving sambar - not preparing but serving - hes that much pain

3. poojachinoy

poojachinoy Gold IL'ite

i think you had mentioned that your dad was cooking for everyone last time including your in-laws,without them pitching in at all..plus your dad being handicaped..its too much of a favour your dad is doing for in laws..so this is one reason, its better he stays there,without having to serve in-laws...its not his responsibility..try to manage cooking for 5 days and just ignore the taunts from FIL...its better than having your dad do the cooking and later having pented emotions for this.

next is its better to keep both set of parents away from each other..if you meddle up, the odds of your dad having a good time there will be jeopardized,and in turn it can affect your married life as time goes by...it will be like a competition in-laws will have of how much the son is doing to their own parents and his in-laws..obviously what son does to in-laws wont be digested easily by the sons parents.

for a comfortable stay better to keep both set of parents segregated.

2 people like this.
  4. psych

psych Gold IL'ite

Thanks pooja for clarifying. I cook everyday in the evening. we eat leftovers for lunch and eggs for bfast. FIL wouldnt touch the leftovers and it was a pain managing him. when he came last time i let ds stay home,...he didnt take care of him - just sat there..so i ended up taking care of DS at home, work and cook..it was hell with his constant whining...this was the case when my dad left for brothers house..the rest of the time he cooked for everyone. but now he is getting old. he is actually legally blind (cant see from one eye and the other is partially blind due to diabetes complications)

I think I will ask bro to take him the first week. we both stay in the same city so its convinient...

5. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

Well if he is coming only for 5 days don't create a fuss. Your dad can stay at your bro's place. Please do not let your dad cook. It is very tiring for them at their age. Ask your husband to pitch in.

6. psych

psych Gold IL'ite

FIL coming here is not the problem...If he was ok coming here then why did he make us go to india and spend all that money??? The whole reason we went was because he didnt want to come here..So why make us lose 5-6 grand? Would he be ok if we dont send financial support? We cancelled our vacations here since we went to india trip. Going to india is never a vacation. So while we are busy cutting off our much-needed vacation expenses, they dont think twice about it. which is why I am extremely angry...If he was ok to come here why did he make us spend all that money......FIL sounds very selfish to me -

7. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

hi

i think you need to be very clear to FIL, that you have already planned your father's visit, maybe after a while we can think about bringing both ILs together to US. Travelling to US for 5 days.. is really weird, cause travelling itself takes 20 hours!!!! i think you need to say cut and dry, FIL will take you to US later.

8. psych

psych Gold IL'ite

5 days in US. total 8 days...on that he is coming on a sunday and going back on friday...so no weekend...if it wre any other time I would have gladly accepte the offer...but this time its pinching coz of the trouble we took to go to india...

9. beanstalk

beanstalk Gold IL'ite

visiting US for 5 days... seriously sounds ridiculous. Your husband should drop a hint to his parents that this is financially bad decision. Not you, your husband. If you let them do this one time, they will expect that its okay to do again. because it was convenient for them and you didn't say you had any problem managing.

Your husband can easily convey that tickets are expensive on short notice.. And the expenses are too much for a week's visit. Plus, it would be too strainful for him to travel both ways, deal with jetlag etc.

Ask your husband to explain softly that he would rather reschedule it to some other time because dad I want to spend some time with you and the week you are here I will be working full week ( since, out of vacation time, I used it all up for India). Please plan it so that atleast we get to spend some time together. And of-course, tickets are too expensive for such a short duration and that too on short notice..

Your Fil may mind and get angry for little while, but truth of the matter is that idea to visit US for a week unless its a business trip is ridiculous. At his age, traveling itself is difficult, and he wnats to do 2-way travel in a week. Explain it to your husband how it will be too tiring for him and you both will be busy and not available enough to take care of him in that condition. Also mention if he has any medical condition and that it might play up in case its too strainful for him.

1 person likes this.
  10. psych

psych Gold IL'ite

My DH knows this. DH has dropped hints too (atleast from what I heard). He was asking my dad to change his date so FIL can travel with him. I said why cant you come alone on the dates you like? FIL downright told me that if he cant come with my dad, he wont come at all..I was tempted to say "AWESOME".

I can have my way if I want but that will trigger all sorts of anger and jealousy back...They are jealous that DH has a goodlife and thier daughter doesnt.

If it triggers all sorts of anger and jealousy and strains our marriage then is it worth it...I HATE IT that they are winning in the game of controlling DH but is it worth the stress i am going through. Having a lot of health issues myself (bp, diabetes etc) is it worth my while to have my way and have DH put up a long face (which will anyway stress me further)....

What I am to my H - A Goose that lays golden eggs -

And why am I still in the marriage - Because I want my lil guy's life to be ok - because I know, knowing my H's family, a separation will mean my lil guy loses a father. Hes an average dad but still an average dad. It may be better for my sons future if I suck it up - For how long - I do not knwo - Maybe the tipping point will be when they come and live with us permanently

1 person likes this.