1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

It's MIL turn to learn -

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Anamika99, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Young@heart

Young@heart Silver IL'ite

I get the same comment everytime my H falls sick (which is atleast once in three months say cold/cough/fever etc).
    I listened to the same for a long time. Now my reply is: -

"When the foundation is weak....How do you expect the building to be strong":)

Regards,

2 people like this.
  2. bunnyrosecute

bunnyrosecute Silver IL'ite

Same story goes with my MIL too
    1.I have learnt to do some authentic south indian food from my grandmother and mother.During my intial days of marriage,i did puttu for my husband .he liked it very much and he said he never tasted it .My MIL never knew how to do it.After a week time she tried doing that and it was horrible with half baked one..Finally after that she asked me how to do leaving her ego behind.After 6 months of her visit , she came and asked me to do it.While doing this she was instructing me that the dough should be like this and u have to do it like this.I felt like banging it on her head.I told her to do it ,but she absconded saying she will not get that consistency.She never want to accept that she have learnt from me ,n till now she never got a good result in it.

2. Im good at painting .during my pregnancy time ,she was there to take care (which she did'nt do) .I did my first painting , came out very well .My husband asked me to show that painting to his mother.When I showed it to her ,she said my SIL do lot of paintings n better than this.My husband felt very bad for it and now he s not telling me to show the other paintings.She never accepts that i have talent.

3.My husband have a habit of skipping his breakfast .After marriage i made it for sure that he should have his breakfast ,even if it s late i give him in a box.Whenever she comes to my home ,she started giving the box to his son .But my MIL says that he was regularly eating before marriage and only a year before marriage he started skipping his food.Quite funny,but have to take it.

4.Same with sickness.He gets cold frequently and says that after marriage he s getting sick frequently.same complain from my cosister that his elder son is also getting high pressure and cold these days.She was complaing my cosis that she s not taking care of him well.In fact when i checked , My MIL is having frequent cold,preesure and high colestrol.Even my SIL is suffering from Wheezing trouble.Problem is with her but still she tels its our fault.

5.Im very focussed on weight management.After my marriage ,my MIL is very particular that my SIL has to do some weight reduction training though she s not interested.

6.When ever i do some pooja's in the evening ,i keep a fruit/sweet and pray to god .She started follwing it later,but no credits to my pocket.

2 people like this.
  3. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

Dear eandian,
    I am totally amazed and impressed by your good qualities!!! A very small percentage of the people like you are found in this world, doing so much of favors without expecting anything in return. Even if they are not grateful to you their happiness is itself a kind of gratitude.
    You have done more than any normal DIL does regardless your in laws attitude.. it would have been nice if your MIL would have appreciated your good work, never mind at least your DH realized that he got a great lady as his dear wife.

5 people like this.
  4. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

My MIL was an ultimate God! and how can God learn from people???? I really mean it,

if we give her a throne and a crown she might sit their with her palm upwards blessing people.....

According to her, she was excellent cook, very god fearing, can never go wrong any where, worlds best mom, sathi savithri kind of wife, best DIL any MIL can have ( that's why she didn't even attend her MIL's funeral).

Things she learnt from me but till her death never accepted it...

1. I store, tamarind paste, ginger garlic paste etc etc needed for a month in deep freezer so my cooking is much faster, she is to complain that her health is getting deteriorated because I using frozen stuff.... but I heard her advising her daughters over phone giving the same tips and also telling them it is so fresh and nice that she cannot even find any difference.

2. I learnt how to drive the car after marriage, and it was really really helpful because DH was always on work and I used to all the other necessary jobs much to the relief of my DH, but this lady gave me a name like " theerugu pothu" (in telugu it means a lady who is never at home and always roaming)... but the same lady was forcing her daughters to learn car telling them all the advantages... which they didn't learn till today.

3. I do multi tasking at a time, like i do the laundry,at the same time i will be cooking, teaching my DD, etc while my MIL is used to do only one task at a time, like when she cuts veggies she wont get up from her place until she finishes it... so when she use to cook she took nearly 3-4 hrs while I finished it within 1 -1.5 hrs though she tried doing like me but couldn't probably she lost all her energy by them.

She is no more today, may her soul rest in peace.

3 people like this.
  5. chandy939

chandy939 Silver IL'ite

I understood her nature and her weakness in life...and she also knows if anything happens to her it is her DS1(my DH) and me who will be there for her irrespective of what happ in the past.

1 person likes this.
  6. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

really enjoyed reading this thread. almost all MILs have similar characteristics.

after marriage my dh was diagnosed with hypertension. so i advised him to take less salt in diet and also advised him not to take papad daily because everyday we had it. that too MIL insisted only to fry them when they sat for eating. everything should be hot. But she would want to cook sambar, rasam but no poriyal(the most important source of vegetable). when i told that, guess what, u might be a doctor but i know everything about health and i don't anything. huh.

then when anyone comes home she would complain, the DILS are not helping in cooking at all, they don't know how to cook. i have to cook etc. but from every aspect of cooking like cutting all veg, washing all the vessels we used to help.( i could not understand why when cooks there would be a load of vessels to wash while we cook the same it is not) we could cook if she allowed, but she would not bec she wants her sons to eat from her hands.

the night cooking, we do, so i would like to make chappatis bec my mil never ever cooked them in her entire life. for that i get comments like that i am always cooking things which my dh does not like( though dh likes it he would keep quiet while she is talking like that) and every time she sees him after sometime, would complain that my dh has become thin etc.

so u get blamed whether u cooked or not

1 person likes this.
  7. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

I SO enjoyed reading everyone's posts. You girls are hilarious!!!!! I feel very blessed to have a loving , open minded mil. She has learned a lot from me & me from her & she constantly talks about it. We see each other once a year or so and may be the distance keeps the relationship fresh & loving.

8. shinycalif

shinycalif Silver IL'ite

Wow what a sweet thread!!! All the time we get all negative threads started on MIL's but yours indeed is a positive...Atleast there are some who gets a wonderful mother in law.....i hope your bonding with her is forever and have a wonderful life ahead!! Thank you for sharing!!!

2 people like this.
  9. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

Lucky you! that is the secret of good relationship, i wish all MILs knew it...

10. LifeIsAMystery

LifeIsAMystery New IL'ite

About 6th one, MILs who have been housewives all their lives will never enjoy life. They will always do house chores till the last day. We have microwave, mixer now for convenience. These things did not exist when MILs or moms were newly married.

My mom even now makes rotis by hand, grinds the masala on the stone and makes a paste for curry, cooks rice on gas instead of electric cooker. Its just that its like an exercise for them. Day to Day chores is secret for healthy life I would say.

Nice thread !!