Gestational Diabetes in pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Leo, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Waytogo

Waytogo Junior IL'ite

i'm in my 7th week.. just out of curiosity started reading this.. nice thread.. informative..

2. pathak2610

pathak2610 Bronze IL'ite

Hello Parukutts
    i used to have milk with a spoon of a special powder called "Glucoserna SR". i used to add one sugar free tablet in a glass to make it sweet.
    used to have 2 glasses of milk a day - 1 at 11 am and other one just before goign to bed along with a handful of nuts.

check with ur doc if you can have that powder - for me it helped manage the sugar levels even after having milk.

i just saw others suggestions as well.
    when i had GD last yr i did thorough research on each of the ayurvedic remedies suggested. bitter gourd (karela) is actually harmful in this situation. also fenugreek seeds etc - better avoid coz there is no firm information for use during pregnancy. please dont take anything w/o checking with ur Dr.

also, no it is not a sure thing that GD leads to c-section. i had GD & had a normal delivery (induced at 38 weeks) - all was smooth.

it basically depends on whether u r able to control ur sugar levels so that the baby doesnt gain too much weight. if baby weight is within limits then it will be like just any other delivery.

since you are monitoring the sugar levels - things should be fine - its only when ppl dont bother/take care at all that the baby grows really big and then a c-section is imperative.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  3. Preethirathina

Preethirathina New IL'ite

hi friends...

I am now in my 28th week, my scan showed baby normal but my blood test 9(random) and urine test showed having sugar. i was asked to take glucose tolerance test at fasting and after taking glucose. this test showed blood sugar normal before fasting and blood sugar around 179 where 150 is normal.... my doc has asked me to follow a diet pattern and avoid sugat items for 15 days and check again sugar level.... i am now following diet and walking half an hour in morning and half an hour in evening....if my blood sugar level doesnt come down i have to take insulin injection it seems..

please share ur experiences... i am scared whether my baby will get sugar or will be affected with the insulin injection...

Vandana can u tell me ur diet plan...

4. Parukutts

Parukutts Bronze IL'ite

thanks pathak ,good to hear you had a normal one.i am aiming for it. until now my sugar's are controlled but i am taking 10 mg of glyburide daily.i had a growth scan today and baby is doing good. with god's blessing i hope everything goes well. i read about karela and fenugreek and all over the google it was written as not safe.but checked with my family friends with gestational diabetes and indian doctors and they all said they never heard anything like that and my friends had taken it.so i am taking karela thoran(stir fry kind of thing) everyday and i think it's helping someway. i am scared to drink the juice though.

5. Parukutts

Parukutts Bronze IL'ite

preeti as far as i know insulin wont affect the baby in any way,worse could happen if the gestational diabetes isnt controlled.only few people are not able to control without any medication.try hard to control it with diet and exercise and even if you are not able to control, taking medication would not affect the baby rather it will help the baby.i am planning to scan and upload the food chart and sample menu given to me by hospital but its totally the american way of eating .but i will also include how i changed it to suit my cuisine.

6. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

hi all,
    i am also going to join this club. As i too got GD and now I am in 29th week now.
    @parukutts - me too on glyburide 5 mg twice a day and my fasting sugar also not coming to control. Somedays good ..somedays goes 115. This is something to do with tab timings. I observed by taking tabs around 8 morning sugar comes in control. But waiting till 8 for dinner is difficult for me. I am having milk before going to bed ( fat free milk).

So it is like experimenting with tablets and diet in my case. Share your experience on this.

7. Parukutts

Parukutts Bronze IL'ite

hi renutn,
    i remember i had hard time getting everything right. the first 2 weeks i was diagnosed i totally forgot that i was not supposed to drink whole milk which i was drinking after dinner.and the fasting sugars were high and with just one weeks reading they put me glyburide.by the time i found out i should be drinking either fat free or 1% i was taking glyburide for 2 weeks ,then i thought if the diagnoses was wrong they i should be having low blood sugar.but it didnt happen so i assume the milk wasnt the culprit. renu you are doing right with the milk part ,but isnt the snack too less.i eat a half sandwich or one slice of bread with almond butter or some curry or something. and one more important thing i found out is that you should be checking the fasting sugar at 8 hours after bedtime snack,not more than 9 hours.so count the hours after the bedtime snack and get up early and check your blood sugar.our blood sugars spike when the stomach is empty longer (dawn phenomena). i found a difference in the reading when i checked my blood sugar at 6.30 to 7 in morning and 8-9pm . so i get up from sleep check sugar and then go to sleep for a one hour or again. depending on which values your sugar is high you can change the tab timings(after asking doctor).i was having at bedtime then doctor saw my readings were high at dinner time so switched to tab with dinner.so far so good !!

8. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

thank you parukutts...
    it is every day experiementing...from the beginning i was very less eater..and this got continued now also.
    So in evening i will have dinner around 7-7:30 and after that i take the tabs. After 2 hrs around 10 i will have one glass of milk with berries sometimes or cookie and i go to sleep around 10:30. Around 6 get up and check my sugar level it shows 115 one day, 100 one day. Full confusion. Sleeping hrs is total 7:30 to 8 hrs. In between i wake up in the night and have some water that's it.
    I have next appointment with dr after 3 weeks till then faxing sugar level to doc office.

9. Parukutts

Parukutts Bronze IL'ite

maybe they will ask you to have tablets at bedtime. or you could ask/suggest them when mailing the reports.i did that once.i asked them specially when to have the tablet and they told to have with food.good luck !!

10. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

thanks parukutts..i will mail this question to doctor.
    Today I wil try to eat some carbs before going to bed like one slice bread with peanut butter.