1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

constipation for 7 week old formula fed& breast fed baby

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vidyavisu, Jul 10, 2012.

1. vidyavisu

vidyavisu Silver IL'ite

Hi Friends,
    My baby is 7 weeks old. As I have to join duty within 1 month, i started feeding her formula along with breast feeding. I gave her Similac Advance Formula in the beginning , she was constipated and then switched over to Similac Easy to digest again the same problem continues. She takes less quantity of formula milk, she has got constipation. Any home remedies for this?

I want her to take bottle during the morning hour ie my duty time, i 'm planning to continue feeding her in the noon and night when i come after my work. but I don't know which formula to use as she gets such problems.
    Please help me friends!

Regards
    Vidyavisu

2. ra4ra4ra

ra4ra4ra New IL'ite

Hi Vidyavisu

Sorry I actually don't know about these brands as these are not available where I live. Just a suggestion from me, if it works out for you. Just pump your milk and keep it ready for your baby. Like this even your baby will still be on breast milk and this will keep up your flow as well. May be you can pump before going to work and in the night, whichever works out better. Then you can introduce formula once she is 6 months.
    This is just a suggestion. Hope you find out a solution soon.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Vidya, if you think it's becuse of formula, perhaps you can change it and see? I have heard many times that Similac can cause constipation in "some" babies. I have been using Enfamil and mine is fine. Not sure I formula is the problem though. Btw, are you sure he is constipated? I am sorry, I don't mean to sound like I am doubting you but babies that age can go for as long as a week without pooping.
    Is he showing any signs of pain while passing has and all?

It's not recommended to give water to babies but otherwise prune juice mixed in milk is supposed to help. Use this at your own risk though. I also heard that insert a rectal thermometer as if you are taking his temperature. Apparently holding it for a few seconds and removing it will stimulate the baby to push out the stool.
    Another tip is to leave him uncovered on his chane table for a few minutes every morning and evening. The cool air against his skin is supposed to assist in passing the stools.

Sorry, I only know these. Hope you get other advises.

1 person likes this.
  4. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vidya,

Formula feed tends to make the stools hard for babies ....but according to Pediatricians,There's nothing to worry .

Try to increase the BF's....as BFed babies rarely get constipated.

Make sure that the baby drinks milk completely from one side and then shift to the other side ( as initially there would be more water and the flow would be easy for the baby to take, then comes more nutritious and thick milk, so it is always better to ensure that the feed is taken completely from one side and then change to the other side )

It would become alright once he starts taking other foods like juices, mashed fruit, mashed veggies etc ( after 6 months )

Happy motherhood dear.....:thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@vidyavisu did you try Similac Sensitive? It is for babies with fussiness and gas.

Home remedies for constipation

1. Prune juice
    2. Soak raisins in warm water overnight. Give the water to the baby.
    3. Omam water / gripe water / urai maundhu
    4. Mix a drop of castor oil with couple of drops of BM. Give this to LO.
    5. Soak betel leaf stalk in castor oil. Keep it near the anal opening.

Since you are BF ing too do not take gassy stuff.

Also check this thread: http://www.indusladies.com/forums/baby-kids-foods/30121-constipation-remedies.html

1 person likes this.