Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 1)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Ami, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lata,
    I am very happy that you have boldly made a beginning!
    Questions, one by one, I am answering:
    1 - it comes in sauce consitency - add little more milk, if you want to drink from tumblers
    2 -Yes, when frying, it comes like halwa - not dry
    3 - Frying is not sufficient - you must have fried for a minute more. Cook after adding milk. But after adding sugar, only simmer.
    I hope it is clear now.
    Do try more ! All the best !!
    Love,
    Chithra.

quote=latamurali;232845]Dear and most respected mam

U know about me very well........i have told u already that noone is ready to try any new recipe thatoo sweets in my home.so i have not yet trried anything so far even for our functions .my mom used to prepare for me also...........so i have neverever tried any sweets(except jamun,kesari, payasam...ruled out) for any occasions so far..........

But love to participate in the contest..........except regular menus like bajji.i have not tried anything with besan.........and today i tried ur BESAN PAYASAM.........it came out very well(It tastes really good....(jus now prepared and myself tasted first and imm replying you).....got some doubts in that...pls clarify.........i have exactly followed the insturctions by u................(ofcourse this is not for the contest.i have done....)

1.will this come in thick consistency (not like reular payasam we can have in tumblers).i had it by spoon ..is it rightz?????????!!!!!!!! or any mistake by me...or we can add milk if w required in liquid form.....

2.when i fry besan in ghee it came like halwa.........not looked like dry flour.........is it right .or beginning itself wrong.......

3.and adinakula i felt slight pachai vasani...........hope aftr adding milk i have to cook for some more time or after adding sugar ....which is right...

sorry for troubling for this simple dish.................pls excuse me........

(and, going to prepare oats upma for the first time...let me give feedback after sometime)

thank u very much madm....for all ur patience and hearing us.......[/quote]

2. Chitvish

Dear Meeta,
    Welcome here, my friend!
    So, sweet pongal was too "meeta meeta" for you?
    I will tell you something - in general south indians prefer the sweets, really sweet. There is always that extra edge of sweetness in S I sweets !
    Thankyou for trying & sending a FB.
    Love,
    Chithra.

[uote=Meeta;232865]Hi Chithra Ma'am,
    Let me share my happiness here........I had tried making sweet pongal for Saraswati Puja yesterday........to my utter surprise, that came so good.....my hubby had never tasted Sweet Pongal and he liked that very much. But let me be honest, I felt that it was a little too sweet, as I could not guess about the sweetness of brown sugar/jaggery here......I think its too sweet here......but anyways, as long as there is another person to share it........I am happy.....
    Thank you.
    Regards.[/quote]

3. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Dear mam

Tnk u so much.........i felt if i cook for moretime after adding milk its becoming very thicker so only less time i cooked........anyhow while typing itself all raltvies came(sincemy chtpa is leaivng today back to melbourne) so gave to everybody and all really enjoyed.....tnk u mam

Oats upma came out very very well.......tnk u mam..........

but my hubby and krishna didnt even tastemy sweet even little bit ........but my hubby enjoyed oats upma...

Mam, i sometimes feel i shld try all dishes ..but i will be the only person to eatit in my place........me already BULKY.......shld avoid all this ( moreover if i get chance to eat outside i will hit nicely) jus bcos iam not trying..........relly really thats the main reason......and ihave tried rice varieties and other spicy stuffs....

Tnk u for everything mam..........U R SIMPLY GREAT........

4. visalamkrishnan

visalamkrishnan Silver IL'ite

Dearest Chitra madam,
    I tried oats upma with carrots, beans, peas and onion. but i followed ur MW method. mmmmmmmmmmm it was sooo yummy and my sil ( who is very fussy) also liked it very much. it was so stomach filling. I tried oats kheer also. , with carrot, and badam paste( very little) it was very tasty. The children enjoyed it without knowing that it was oats.Big Laugh. So a THANKS A TON FOR ALL UR YUMMUY RECIPIES.
    Madam, i am having a samll clarification. tomorrow in our house they are having play house. So few children and mothers will come in the eveinng.I wanted to give a try ur Banana cake with all purpose flour? I made once with atta. some children told that they did't like the tatse. But all the elders liked it very much. SO this time i wanted to try the same cake but with all purpose flour. So plz plz help me how to go. tomorrow is the play house here. Sorry for the trouble.Waiting eagerly for ur reply.
    With thanks and regards,
    v.k

5. tweenie27

tweenie27 New IL'ite

Hi Chitra! i am back :))

hey chitra!

well, u made my day when i enjoyed ur mushroom soup and cauliflower palkuttu! i am glad that i could make yours by just letting u know that!!

:))

yeah, now i am going to try my hand at some recipes of urs, and win some appreciation myself! hehe... ;-)

today i wanted to try pineapple rasam but didnt get the pineapple coz of bad weather outside. so i thought i would make pepper jeera rasam...
    just had a few questions..
    about pineapple rasam:- do u use fresh pineapple or canned? and if canned, should i use the syrup also?
    about pepper jeera:-- here i have tamarind paste that u get in plastic bottles(the highly concentrated thick paste). should i use that 2 tsp? i was wondering about it. Also when do u add tomatoes? (as u wrote -- use 2 tsp dal, if using tomatoes)..
    :))
    love,
    Tweenie

6. Chitvish

Dear Lata,
    If you do not try all dishes, it is fine - but please don't make me feel as if I give only sweets & "high-calorie" dishes !!Rant
    There are many diet dishes also.
    Knowing you as a very sweet person, I have no complaint, Lata !
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Chitvish

Dear VK,
    Thanks for your FB.
    Yes, adding all vegs to oats upma makes it more filling and tasty !
    I tried banana cake with maida - it was just average. So, I made it with atta. If you think, all purpose flour has a different texture in between the two, you can go ahead.
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

comments on oats dosai.

Hi Mrs.C,

Made oats dosai for our dinner,of course, alongwith rotis as was not sue abt the taste. It is much much better than our regular oatmeal with milk, isnt it??

I actually ground it and added minced cabbage for additional taste. The dosa color was really catchy like our regular dosa and taking two to three dosas, makes quite heavy!! Since had only little amt of rava, added arisi rava(here, it use to be very fine).

Anyhow, hereafter will make this once in a week. Thank you a lot and lot.

Rgds.

9. Chitvish

Re: Hi Chitra! i am back :))

Dear Tweenie,
    You can use fresh or canned pineapple, depending on the availability. Since we are first cooking the pineapple with tomatoes etc , it does not make a difference.If using canned, squeeze well & add so that it will not become very sweet. Adding syrup is optional & depends on, how sweet a tooth you have. Tomorrow, I am making it for a lunch-party. I may not add the syrup !
    If the tam paste is thick, add half the given amount. Less tamarind will taste fine, but excess tam will make it very tart.
    You can add tomatoes either at the beginning or half way through or even just before removing. It depends on only how soft, you want the tomatoes to be. There is no hard & fast rule.
    Wish you great rasam making !
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. Chitvish

Re: comments on oats dosai.

Dear Ami,
    I did not grind oats - just soaked & added. It is sightly heavier than normal dosa. If you normally take 3 of the latter, you can perhaps take 2 of oats dosai.I make it more for variety & now so much is written about the goodness of oats in the media !
    Thanks.
    Love,
    Chithra.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.