1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

H4 Wife - Things to do?

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by shakila, Jun 8, 2005.

1. bipasha

bipasha Senior IL'ite

Hi All,
    I am also in the same status like all of you "H4".I am not into IT so getting jobs here is very difficult(I have done MBA and was working in a Life Insurance company in India ).Initially I ws very depressed sitting at home all the time and finally got a volunteer opportunity in a library where I go twice a week.There are not many indians around the place and I dont know driving(nor do we own a car).So I am happy when I am in the library...when I see and meet people.Otherwise I feel my knowlegde and experience is just getting watsed here.I want to do a lot of things like studying, excercising...but I feel somehow I can't do this for another 1-2 years.I need to go out ,work and be independent.I am filing for H1 but dont know whether it will work out.Its all a matter of luck.
    Can anybody suggest me how to get into short term courses? I have done MBA in insurance& marketing.I cant afford expensive ones.

Bipasha

2. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

I would suggest developing soft skills through reading books. Although one cannot get full advantage this way, it helps in a great way.

I need some pointers for reliable online courses too.

MIT has it s Open course software, where there are thousand of books and course materials out in open, accessible to evenryone. So if u like any subject, u can further read abotu ti through those books., For example I liek reading about economics and macro-economics etc.

Finish seeing all the places around in US which u cannot do once kids are born or u go for work or get old. For example trek in rocky or Smoky mountains.

Learn a fine art which helps in dveloping concentration, unleash ur creative cells and make u equipped.

Network and make new friends and create a good foundation for your stay in US.

Work out and lose weight, like may iLites have suggested. Have a work out partner to make this habit regular. Also work on dishes which are health-friendly and develop healthy menau for yourself and home.

Learn a sport like racquet ball or swimming. Or learn playing keyboard. If you have a musical flair,learn singing online.

Try new dishes, for me they work like stress relievers.

Play board games like monopoly, chess poker etc with friends or jsut with ur husband.

Wathc some good shows on TV togtehr. My list includes dome funny dramas liek reba, friends and Everybody Loves Raymond. CNN has amazing shows too.

I think people who are currently occupied either with children or career can say thinming about ' what they could have done when they had so much time in hand ? '..That will throw bigger possibilities.

Life is slow here indeed, days run fast, but without much done unlike in India :)

3. kalaisiva

kalaisiva Senior IL'ite

I am in same situation of all of yours...Here I have listed how i am passing my time...It might be useful to you...

I was so busy when i was studying in UK...so i want to really use the time as much as I can.....

I know yoga a bit since i have learned it for 5 years in India...
    So i started to teach my nearby homes...and if u search in google u will get so much of instructions all about yoga why cant u try which will be very safe...

I give atleast an hour for praying ....chanting slokas....by hearting new slokas....it makes our mind so calm and giving you so much strength for your planning...

Never sleeping in afternoons...reading about Indian Share markets,some business like whatever my interested and my field is....

Cook everyday new items learned from internet...Whwn my husband comes back I never spent time in kitchen or internet...spending time with him about the day happening and we talked anout wht i learnt or i did today...

Coz dis life is so mechanical once we start our job we might not get time to talk more or time to relax...so please utilize ur time and plan for future..then u will feel u need another 24 hrs for a day..
    and please suggest me if u want to add it more to my rota...

4. bipasha

bipasha Senior IL'ite

Hi Meen,

I liked the idea of Open courses of study and learning new art.It makes a person more knowledgeable and of course evelop interersts.

Bipasha

5. laksh24

laksh24 New IL'ite

Hi Shakila,

We all sailing in the same baot which is taking us no where. I am also here on dead H4 visa. I used to be a pretty busy person in India managing my work n home.But here its just home. I also want to do something which can benefit me as well. But for the time being i keep on surfing the internet , make paintings and trying to enroll for some certification courses. however i would like to do a job as well to get myself gear up as well.

Please suggest me good jobs if any to do here. I am really getting bored here. I would look for some voluntary work as well here for some time.

Laksh

6. rekhat

rekhat New IL'ite

I have done B.A from Delhi University and Maters in Human Resource from Anna Malai University.
    I got married on 11 Nov 06 to a software enginner in Hyderabd.Since then we are settled in Hyderabad.
    Recently my husband got a job in New Jersey.USA.He is moving to U.S by March 17
    I would also be moving there but after a while.As I would be going on h4 visa I wold have to leave my job here.
    I have 2 years of experience working Vodafone as customer service execuive and then 2 years and 6 months in British Council as exam assitant in delhi.then almost 6 moths of experience working in HSBC in customer care.
    My worst dream is going to US and remain jobless for one year as i have been working for the past 5 years.
    I wanted to know through this post wheather in U.S customer service experience is of any relevance.
    my husband wants me to do so course in web designing before i go there.
    What type of job oppurtunites are there for ladies like us.
    Please help me in preparing myself well before i land in US.do we have admin kind of jobs there.
    Please feel free to give your response.
    i am very anxious abt moving to US .your feedback would help in shaping my future.

thanks in advance
    rekhat

7. shine82

shine82 New IL'ite

Hi Rekhat

I'm also from custoer service industry and living in US on H4, as long as i'm aware of, getting a job of this sort on H1b visa is very difficult... like admin jobs or customer service.. for H1B you have to be a Pro at something technical... i have spoken to many agents for H1B... but the fact is that there is some minimum wgae limit for an h1B person, like an H1b holder has to make $50 per hour... otherwise the employer can get into trouble...so noone can hire a customer service agent and pay them $20 per hour being an H1B holder... i have a friend who has a regular (not correspondence) MBA in economics from some very good university... but her visa has been rejected twice, reason being, USA is not in shortage of the kinda professional she is...

All the best !

8. laksh24

laksh24 New IL'ite

Re: Study?

Hi Indira,

Could u pls suggest some good universities providing the MS degree in Information Technology and computers.

Thanks
    Laxmi

9. rekhat

rekhat New IL'ite

Hi
    How to do you kill your time ....
    what abt the internet earning jobs..do that workout or help us to earn a living.
    as i have not been USA just wanted to ow much would it cost for utilities-electricity,water telephone and a internet connection.we do not know how much savings shud we convert to dollars to take with us.
    your reply would be helpful.

tthanks
    rekha

10. shine82

shine82 New IL'ite

HI Rekha

Well i have done volunteer job in library twice. and I really cant tell you about expenses because, it all depends on the company by which your husband has been employed, if its an American co. then its great, but if its through an indian co. then the salary would be okey too, but a li'l less. the utilities bill is also okey not much

But you see a lot of places and i also used to think how will i pass my time, but once into houshold work, you just dont get anytime. you can also utilise your time by taking care of yourself and you body. Dont worry too much, take things in stride, initially its very difficult, like for 3-5 months, but then things will settle down.