1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

learning colours and abcd's

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by jignasha27, May 17, 2012.

1. ranjoose

ranjoose Bronze IL'ite

Hi Jigna,
    I have a 30 months old boy who only started talking a few words after his second birthday. He started calling me amma only a few months back.. But now all of a sudden, he knows his abcs, numbers till 20, colors shapes and a few rhymes.
    All I did- kept playing the rhymes. There are these videos from dreamenglish.com, which you can watch on youtube too. They were very helpful (even though they may seem funny to us).

Another thing I've noticed with most boys of this age and a few girls is their attention span is very very less. They just dont show interest in listening to what we say for more than a few minutes. But dont stop, keep repeating things. He will at least hear them if not listen.. And one day, he will suddenly start saying what he learnt.

Keep naming things while bathing him, feeding him etc. When calling his name, try using phonics song like I sing to him T is for Tarun, t t Tarun etc.

When you are cutting veggies show it to him and tell him im chopping onions, or green beans or a red tomato etc. While travelling, you could keep talking to him about what all he sees outside, green leaves, blue sky, red lights, green lights.

The thing you said about your son saying abcd when he sees something written, my son used to do the same :). He now recognizes all the alphabets.

Hope this helps..

1 person likes this.
  2. siddusahana

siddusahana Bronze IL'ite

when to start teaching kids abc, colours, numbers etc., my LO is 11 months old.. saying crow, mama, papa, showing light,fan,moon,mickey his favourite doll, ball,waterbottle when we named it.

3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Siddusahana..
    If your LO is showing interest then first teach body parts once perfect you will get idea of his grasping power and interest in learning then proceed to ABCs but make it fun so that LO gets interested...

1 person likes this.
  4. siddusahana

Thanks vjbunny for your reply
    body parts am teaching her where is nose from 5th month onwards but she is not showing the nose... i think she s not ready to learn body parts... if i say stand up, sit down, hands up, dance, bye bye,kiss,.. she is doing all these things.. but bodyparts she is not understanding..

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  5. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi...
    I think she was not interested then and I tell you one trick play abit with her nose and say nose touching hers and laugh making it seem like its fun to recognise nose and put her tiny hands on your nose repeat the same... do it twice a day and on third time just say nose if she responds just by touching her nose it means she has grasped else take her hands to her nose and repeat saying this way kids will learn... also the way you say it matters most you need to lisp the words she will get attracted to your mouth movement initially to distravct her you need to laugh this gives her idea that she has tomkae same movements with her mouth and thus they learn I am sure you must have known this already....

6. siddusahana

Hi
    Yeah Vjbunny. You are right I will try your idea today.. babies are so much interested in fun... They learning everything through fun... When we make learning so much complicated they wont take it.. I love babies.. they are the most happiest person in this world..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2012
  7. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

Dear All

I have a 2.2yr hyperactive son. His favourite hobby is to jump on sofas n chairs & run around (literally). & me being talkative, I've been talking to him since almost the day I knew I conceived. So Eshaan started talking when he was around 16-17months or so.....he obviously started with single words & now almost speaks everything & anything that he hears.

Like if he hears me saying something to his dad, he will repeat it. & I had downloaded lot of rhymes & kid songs. One point he was so addicted to them that he would only eat when he had something going on, on the mobile. So now he speaks abcd song, counts till 10, his words not clear but sings chanda mama, hum honge kamyab, baba black sheep & a lot of other songs.

Eshaan already stays in creche & so I have not hurried him into a playschool & anyway I couldnt find a nice playschool near my place. I have started to teach him names of fruits. For this we have our game with clues & he identifies the fruit. So I act with my hands saying, it is round, & brown & it looks like potato.......& Eshaan says Chickoo. I guess this is how they teach in playschools.

1 person likes this.
  8. g3sudha

g3sudha IL Hall of Fame

Hi
    When you are start teaching ABCDs, tell them during the bedtime also. So that they will remember . Try use /make flashcards of Abcs, number, colour shape etc. daily morning and evening show these cards to the child. It will help in recognise the letter, numbers etc...

1 person likes this.
  9. BigAlittleaMom

BigAlittleaMom New IL'ite

Dear Jigna,

I really think 2 years old is still very young and if he is not interested in sitting and learning, what is the point of forcing him? Let him be; allow him to play and keep talking to him or putting a alphabet or nursery rhyme CD. It may not seem so, but he will be listening and picking up things all the time.
    Later, you can consider putting him in a Montessori type school for him to get him up to speed, but right now, I think just playing with him and showering him with love and attention would be the best thing for him to have!!

10. jignasha27

jignasha27 Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

@bigalittleamom

Yes you are right. There is no point in forcing. Specially forcing did not work with my kid. Still he is same. He doesn't want to learn Abc by sitting at one place. He sing abc rhyme though along with me. What I observed is he is not interested in imaginary things. Show him real thing and tell its name he will get it in one time. For Abcs I bought foam alphabets, magnetic fridge alphabets, flash cards, chart on wall.hahhahhaha so many but no he want even stay at one place to play with all this. Basically even if any toy is new max time he spends is 30 minutes on the day I brought. That's it. He likes to play with pots and pans. Tell him some imaginary stories he won't show ant interest but instead talk about any of his friends and make your own story he stops crying and listens. Yes you are right they observes us every time. Suddenly he started speaking so many words and about so many things which I don't even remember when I taught him.
    By the way how old is your kid. Right now am really looking forward about preschools. Confused about Montessori or normal schools. There are many schools in our armed. Some are regular, some are Montessori , some are for 2 days, some are expensive....argh...seriously so confusing...... Being a parent( specially mom) is a challenge and needs lots of patience. Am not done with this kid and DH ready for second one ;)

Take care
    Jignasha.

1 person likes this.