1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Food processor

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by AnithaPartha, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

I've been using this one Wide-Mouth Food Processor - Black and Decker® Appliances - FP2500 and must say it is very very good. It has 2 steel plates which do grating & slicing . You can see in the picture the circular slices, like that you can get 'cos this is wide-mouth model, you can put whole onions [after peeling], tomatoes etc. & get nice round slices for sandwich, bajji etc. I've not tried okra yet, as I feel it would get mushy. But green beans if you hold as a bunch & feed into the top, it cuts nicely & quickly.

I also use it like others mentioned here, for chapathi dough, cake/cookie batter, masala vada, salsa etc. Cleaning also is not so cumbersome, just use an old toothbrush to reach the edge corners.

I bought it for $35 in a store here and not online. I had a look first in Walmart, but all the packs were opened & some were missing the manual etc. so I didn't want to buy there. So I went to a better store & it was cheaper there too :)

2. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies,

A few posters like above have mentioned the use of fp in grinding vadas. I never envisioned that avatar of a fp. Can a fp do that job too or sh'd we look for special attachments or how is it? Pls respond. If so, can it be used to grind dosa / idli batter too?

Thanks in advance.

3. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Anitha,

I use Cuisinart 7 cup food processor, and bought for Macys for around $60. Keep looking for deals and mostly the coming July 4th, they'll have it on sale for about the same price.

Cuisinart DLC-2007 Food Processor, 7-Cup Prep 7 - Electrics - Kitchen - Macy's

There are few videos in the below link which gives you an idea what this fp can do.

DLC-2007N - Prep 7® 7-Cup Food Processor - Food Processors - Products - Cuisinart.com

This fp has been of great use to me in chopping onions, veggies or even making chapathi dough. Has been very handy when I have guests at home :)

4. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Grace,

Thanks for info. let me try to check this. I think it may suit me better. But regarding, making dosa batter am not sure.. Will this help? I really dont know if a FP can work this far..

5. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

FP & making chapati dough? Are you kidding me? Am really surprised. I have no idea about it till now..

6. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

I got a black decker food processor (8 cup), it finely chops, grates and slices.Even though this model doesn't have a dough kneader it suits my needs & am happy with this, there are other models in black decker which offers a dough blade.

7. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi sabari,

Initially I too was against buying one as I felt what's the need for it, when Indian mixie/grinder is there. But after reading many such uses, I purchased one esp. as it was not that costly. Now I find it extremely useful.

Esp. for vadai I get perfect texture of batter without adding a single drop of water so the masala vadai is very crisp, mixing the steamed paruppu usili, making pizza dough, even homemade pasta dough from scratch is so easy. For chopping onions finely for North Indian gravies, I just chop the onions in half & put it in FP. In minutes I get finely cut pieces -- they won't be uniform in size, but as I'm making in gravy only, doesn't matter as eyes don't water & can get a load of onions chopped in one go -- remaining I store in ziploc for another day's usage . And for grating carrots in bulk for halwa is done in minutes -- earlier it took so long for me & wrist also will pain , so always used to avoid making carrot halwa ;) I have tried for dosa batter but somehow the rice is never ground fully -- so didn't try after the first time flop. These blades cannot handle the tough Indian rice I feel :)

Anitha,
    As for chapathi dough, it is so non-messy, much quicker to knead & I feel a great difference in the texture of the rotis/chapathis I make using the FP compared to how I used to do it before by hand. It is softer & also stays softer for a longer time.

How to make Chapati Atta (Dough) in Bulk - YouTube This is a nice video on how to make chapathi dough in FP ..

The most valuable use of the FP, in my experience is the time I save in doing such time consuming tasks . It is so much quicker to chop/grate etc. than when done manually, so nearly everyday I find myself reaching for it :)

8. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

ladies,you are all tempting me to buy the food processor now :)

1 person likes this.
  9. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

Anitha,

I got Ultra Pride 110 v from Indra Store, Mylapore , chennai. They sell it in all big stores like Rathna stores, Saravana etc. I got it on 2007 with the coconut grater, and chappathi kneading attachment. I use the coconut grater either weekly or biweekly for grating coconut in bulk.
    Chappathi kneading tool is good, and I rarely use it, because most of the time I store my batter in the same vessel. So I knead the dough with hands.

Regarding vidilia, original cost is $19.99 and I used bed bath and beyond coupon ($5 off or 20% whichever I had at that time) and bought it in store. It serves the purpose. But seeing others reviews, am now inclined on the FP.You can check vidilia here. https://www.chopwizard.com/?s_kwcid=TC|6289|vidalia%20chop%20wizard||S|b|9191660299&gclid=COf5ndHK3bACFaJxOgodElp9yA

10. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

My husband always says its one of my wise decisions to buy an FP. It makes chopping real quick. You get a dough kneader blade with the cuisinart fp, and the demo video to make dough is given in their website. But its a lil messy to wash if you dont clean it soon after you use the fp. But I always wash it in dishwasher, so no problems!

1 person likes this.