1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Hubby's Mumbai Experience

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sreesakthivel, Jun 20, 2012.

1. sreesakthivel

sreesakthivel Senior IL'ite

Sakthi frequently makes business trips across North India and this time he went to Mumbai. Couple of times he had been to Mumbai but he didn't explore the city much. After
    checking-in in the hotel (Andheri East), he decided to have his dinner on the roadside eateries. The receptionist told him that good place is there in around 2km radius. Taking some money in his wallet he stepped out and reached the place on his own.

As Mumbai is famous for vada pav, pani puri, chats, he treated his tastebuds with all these. After indulging himself he boarded an auto without bargaining on the rent. He was very much sure that distance of hotel would be hardly 3 to 4 km and the auto meter was showing 100 0 after traveling around 2 kms.

The autowalla took a different route and now Sakthi was saying to himself "Ok this guy is going to cheat on me". After 10-15 minutes of travel, as they reached the hotel, the meter was showing "140 0". Sakthi asked the autowalla how much and he said "Saab chauda rupya(Rs.14/-) de do". He couldn't believe his ears and for a second, the thought "Am I in India" flashed in his mind. He happily gave the change of Rs. 20/- and went for real good night sleep... :thumbsup

10 people like this.

2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

sreesakthivel,

Generally One can believe the autowallahs & taxiguys in mumbai. They do charge as per metre only.
    And the 100 0 means the starting of meter i.e., 10.00 - Ten rupees.

Anyhow good to read your husband's experience.

3. smartgirl83

smartgirl83 Silver IL'ite

Dear sreesakthivel,

Nice to read your husband's experience on his travel to Mumbai....as rightly mentioned by Pallavi ....mumbai is fair when it comes to transporation .....all goes through meter.

I am proud to be an Mumbaian.....!

4. bhansnig

bhansnig Senior IL'ite

Dear sree
    Mumbai autos and taxis generally run on metre only.
    We Mumbaikars dread to get into an auto in South India, hate to bargain with the autowallahs there

5. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Autodrivers in Mumbai are much much better !! They charge only the fair amount.

The chennai ones are real piece !#@!$@$

6. skmeera

skmeera Silver IL'ite

when I started reading I thought ,its going to be another rip off story. And being mumbai I thought they would atleast be as bad as the chennai autowallas. surprised.

7. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

mumbai looks like a distant heaven to me!!!

needless to say about the blore auto wallas.. :'(

They would simply reject your offer saying that they do not want to travel by that area!

autowallas in blore one sick lot that i prefer to avoid.

8. sreesakthivel

sreesakthivel Senior IL'ite

Thank you ladies for all your comments!!! In chennai we end up paying Rs 50/- to Rs 60/- for 3kms.. so I was really taken aback when my hubby narrated his experience to me.. !!!

9. Nijasav

Nijasav IL Hall of Fame

Hamchi Mumbai ------very nice yaar..........Specially Andheri east -----my place know

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sreesakthivel,

Your brought pleasant memories of my spending 3 years in Andheri East inside SEEPZ. In Mumbai, I never experienced anyone bargaining on autos or taxis even when we made short trips. They look at the meter and money and if it is in the ballpark, they will cancel the meter and move on. It is definitely a unique experience when compared to other cities. They are habitually honest. I am looking for someone who had a different experience.

Viswa