1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Severe nasal congestion (cold) for 5.5 months baby

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Rakhii, Jun 4, 2012.

1. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

Rakhii,

Don't worry, your little one will become normal soon. May be it could be a viral infection and will subside automatically. Keep her hydrated. Good luck.

Vidu

2. vidukarth

Priya,

Thanks for the detailed response. It is good to know that your daughter is doing well. Touch wood. I got some homeopathy medicines from India which they gave for 3 times a day. i was giving it for 2 months and stopped as she got fever and was again on repeated antibiotics. So, I did not want to give so much medication. Will have to start again.

Good to know that swimming helped her. I guess they would teach her breathing exercise as part of that and may be that improved it for your DD. When I asked my ped here, she said no to swimming as she wanted all the congestion to come out. May be I have to check again.

One other friend here told that, after her DD went for swimming, she did not have much cold. I wasn't keen on that, but since you tell the same, may be I should try it for her too.

Can you also provide the details of your homeopathy doctor. Name and address if possible.

Thanks for your response. Keep in touch.

Vidu

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Rakhi, your little one will get well soon. I am sure it some regular viral and Tylenol can do wonders. It will ease her aches and pains and will allow her to rest. In kids, since they cannot sneeze out, all the phlegm comes out eithr in their motion or as a throw up. That is why you are seeing her throw up and all that activity makes her body tired and hence the fever. So just give medicine consistently, hold her in an upright position so that she can breathe easier and let her sleep and of course keep her hydrated by feeding spoonfuls. Once she is asleep on you, get some shut eye with her and you get some rest as well. It is natural for us moms to worry but Syria just fighting and learning and building resistance.

4. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Here they don;t give cold medications for babies that young. Especially with what is the cold medicine I am against it personally as well.

Saline drops is the last option. Don't over use it.

Keep her hydrated that is the most important thing and yes don;t feed her fruits until she is back to being better.

Don't force feed her solids. If she is happy with just milk, let her be. Put yourself in her shoes, we hate to eat anything when we are sick with cold and fever.

Don't put her down as she might have breathing problems with stuffy nose. Does she have runny nose? Do you hear the murmuring sound that there is phlegm up there when she breathes?

Use a good cold humidifier. It surely helps !!!

Ok what I am going to say is grandma's medicine. But it is upto to use it vigilantly.

I do it all the time for Sanaa and it instantly helps her breathe much better when she has cold. You need to suck the phlegm out by yourself. Yuck yeah, but anything for my daughter right ;-)

Hope she gets better soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2012
  5. priyaprem

priyaprem Bronze IL'ite

Rakhii you said that her Mucus has an yellow tinge right, then surely it's not a normal cold it is an infection.....start using the humidifier, try to loosen up the mucus since she is small it will be quite a task....but that will really help the kid a lot.......

6. priyaprem

priyaprem Bronze IL'ite

Vidu,

I do not know why your Ped give antibiotics? Here my ped and even ped back home are totally against of antibiotics....first of all the child cannot be completely free of infection till the adenoids are there....we can keep it under control.....your Ped would have told for time being to keep away from swimming....i'm sure once the infection under control he may even suggest you to join your daughter for swimming....only ensure that the water is of superior standards and use appropriate measures to cover her ears well......(even though you cannot completely stop water going in ....but atleast you can avoid much....)

Here are the details you asked for:-
    Dr.Ashokanand
    Phone:- 24335519/42867204,
    Mobile:-9840348441

You need to fix up a time well in advance as first he would suggest 2 days, then 1 week, then 1 month course to see how the kid is responding then only he would suggest for 6 or 1 year or 2 years course......some medicines will create loose motion....but that would certainly stop within 24 hrs or 48 hrs......vidhu you need to have lot of patience in giving the medicine as there are after food, before food, every 4 hrs, mix it in water and give spoonful and so on.......................but once you cross the initial stages then it is much easier infact.......

This dr is very friendly and i even used to call him from Dubai to clarify my doubts..

Now you made me to re-consider the option of continuing the Homeopatheic treatment for my DD....let's see....

Free feel to let me know whether you require any other help or information on this.............

1 person likes this.
  7. vidukarth

Nandhu,

I did not get this part quiet.. how do you do this, sucking it out by yourself? If you don't mind can you please be elaborate?

Thanks

8. vidukarth

Thanks Priya for the information.

She was having repeated sinus infection. hence ped put her on antibiotics, but no use, i guess the sinus infection developed resistance to the medication.

I started homeopathy and yeah so much half an hour before/after food funda..

but they gave the small round - powdery medicine, but not to mix with water. I did not visit the doctor myself
    My MIL called me from Doc's office, told her my DD's symptoms and then she gave the medicines.

Not sure it that was the correct way, but at that time we did not have options and it seemed okay.

Am planning to start again from tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

thanks

9. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

ViduKarth,

Here we have suction ball to squeeze the phlegm out right. Instead you need to suck it yourself from her nose. Just hold her and suck it. Spit whatever comes.

Hope this helps?

10. vidukarth

Sure that helps, never knew we can do it like this or thought in this way. I use the suction bulb and alternatively use a small kerchief to make her sneeze by getting it to her nostril.

Thanks