From accounting to programming...

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by chakra, Jan 16, 2008.

1. chakra

chakra New IL'ite

Hi everybody!

I am looking to start my career at 34 now. My background is Bcom with some work (8 years back)experience as Articled Assistant(India) in CA office. I am good with accounting(bookkeeping). Recently I brushed up some Ms office skills here in the US. and also basic Quickbooks(accounting software).I live in Dallas.
    As I have observed, accounting jobs pay very less($10/hr)- considering I am at entry level here and no experience or reference locally.
    On the other hand, I have also done my Java Certification Program 8 years ago in India. I dont have work experience as a Programmer. And I dont remember anything that i studied.
    Recently, someone suggested me that there are desi software consultants here who give training in different IT courses and give placements to people no matter what their background is. So i started my hunt and guess what I got into more confusion. Are they genuine? Bcos, they try to push u to take whatever course they r currently offering. (QA or Java or .Net)
    MY QUESTION:
    1. IF QA- how is the job market here in Dallas for qa(heard too many people taking up this course) does everyone get placed?
    2. IF Java- I have confidence that if I put in efforts, I can catch up but how long does it typically take to gain a fair knowledge if I spend 2 to 3 hrs everyday.(Apart from the instructor led training)
    3. IF .NET- some say that .NET is relatively easier than Java. Is it true and how long does it take to be ready to take up a job (in my case).
    4. How practical is it to face a job as a Programmer for somebody with non-technical background. My husband is not in the IT field either.
    Now that leaves me in a fix.
    PLEASE HELP!!!
    THANKS A BUNCH IN ADVANCE
    Chakra.

2. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

Re: from accounting to programming career

Chakra,

Post your query in education forum and you are sure to get lotsa replies....

3. chakra

chakra New IL'ite

Hi Shravanthika,
    Thanks for ur response. Can u please tell me how to post my thread in the Education section. that is if there is any shortcut so that I dont have to type the entire content again.
    Thanks,
    Chakra.

4. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Chakra - I have already moved your post to the "Education" forum
    Hopefully you will get more responses here.

My comment to your query is - have you looked at the accounting field itself - I am saying that because being an accountant in the non-IT field - there are opportunities there - have you thought about pursuing in that line?

5. chakra

chakra New IL'ite

Hi Shobanag!

Thanks for moving my post. About the accounting field, I find that either I should have a 4 year degree or Masters(which I am not ready to do) or good work reference to go as a Staff Accountant or I should have the relevant experience here to convince the hiring people. Even then the pay is less and the competitiion is too high from Americans.
    But in the IT field, the reward is good for the efforts you put in. Correct me if I am wrong. Is there anyone of u from non-tech background who has done programming and successfully employed?
    Thanks,
    chakra.

6. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

chakra,
    Hope u r aware of QA testing and from the QA testing thread I learnt that non IT people also can take up a career....
    Go thru the thread ...one in education forum and other in working women forum...

By the way I'm also interested in IT field though I dont have a IT background..QA testing seemed to impress me and I have decided to take up a course during my visit to india...or if my personal situations allow I may take up here...keeping my fingers crossed...

Hope other ladies would chime in........

7. kalsun

kalsun New IL'ite

I have a friend who had a similar background and is in testing. So, i don't thinking moving to testing will be a big problem

As for Java or .NET - .NET is certainly easier (disclosure: I work and teach in the .NET area).

You will get a quick start in .NET - and there are a lot of jobs in .NET especially in the Dallas area.

It is not difficult to get into the tech field with a non-tech backgroud - you have to good problem analysis skill - that is it.

8. chakra

chakra New IL'ite

Thanks for your reply, Kalsun. I got inclined towards QA since it seems feasible for me to do.

Can you/or anyone tell me how good the job prospects are for software testing?(in dallas)
    The reason why I m asking this is, recently when I started looking for a consultant to take up QA training, almost all of them say that they are waiting for a certain no. of people to start a batch.

I also heard that the no. of persons taking up Qa training is reduced. Is this true?

With so many desi housewives(like me) getting into QA, is it really worthwhile giving it a shot?

.:idontgetit:
    Chakra.

9. kalsun

kalsun New IL'ite

I am sure there are good QA opps in Dallas. (almost all big software company will have a QA dept.) I will also see - if I can get my friend to respond to your training request.. I teach .NET programming - not training - and I do not have a limit on minimun students..

stay tuned.. I will get some info from my qa friend.

10. chakra

chakra New IL'ite

Kalsun,

Thank you so much for extending this help.

Waiting to hear more from you.

Chakra.