Easy recipes for DH to make when alone

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by superwoman09, May 2, 2012.

1. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Hi,

My DH is traveling abroad short-term for official purposes, maybe two to three months. He will have to cook by himself. I suggested a couple of easy recipes to him but would like to ask other ILites if they have any ideas. I mean those who have traveling husbands, what do they cook. Ideas are appreciated since this is the first time after marriage that he will be going alone and I am worried coz he gets acidity problems if he eats outside a lot. Also, some recipes that I prepare and give to him to have for the first couple of days. He does not like snack items much so those r cut off. I am planning to make "godpapdi" "sweet shakarpara". I heard from friends that u can prepare upma beforehand..ie..roast suji and give tadka....when u want to eat just add water and vegetables if any....that remains good for a couple of days, is it true...if so, can u tell me the exact procedure..

2. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Hi superwoman09
    I am assuming you are maharashtrian. So would suggest accordingly. For my hubby, he cooks really well so I don't have to think of easy recipes but my sis does need them.
    Teach him dal rice its the easiest and ingredients available mostly everywhere.
    Also masala rice or veg khichadi. Its easy add ginger garlic onion tomato turmeric to oil then any veggies available like peas, carrot, cauliflower, potato bell paper, and then add rice salt water cook and eat.
    Same recipe could be made with noodles.
    Sandwitches, sheera are other easy meals.
    For packing, you could make chapati's with dough made with milk not water they last much longer.
    Along with sweet shankarpali you could make some with salt, chilli powder, cumin, corriander powder.
    You could also give him ready to eat packets which are available in rajma masala, pav bhaji, paneer dishes etc. He simply has to heat the packets in hot water even kettle would do and buy some bread or cook plain rice.
    Vaidehi

1 person likes this.
  3. CoolPie

CoolPie Silver IL'ite

Egg omlettes, Veg omlettes, Noodles, sandwiches, Oats kichadi, potato or any veg fry and all types of dhal are easy to cook.

4. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Yes, he knows egg bhurji, omlettes and he likes pasta. He can cook a full meal too if he wants to but over the years he has been pampered by me and by MIL. cooking, laundry, ironing etc..everything is done for him. Do not know how he will manage everything after office hours....Guess I am getting a tad too concerned. I know he will manage. Just wanted some easy tips etc.

5. lifeisgreat

lifeisgreat New IL'ite

Try upmarket mix available ..MTR is really good and easy to make

6. reena2012

reena2012 Junior IL'ite

Here is an easy-to-make pulao. In a little oil, add jeera and all veggies(whichever you want to use), add salt and haldi, finally add rice and water and let it cook. It is delicious and super-easy. khichdi can also be made. Bread omellette is easy for most guys to make. You can also give atta or besan laddoos, they can last upto a week.

7. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

If you people like to eat dosa or idly, get the wet batter available in the market ( can be stored in the fridge for 4-5 days) and teach him to make it... not necessary that it should always come thin...he can make it little thick also...shape doesnot matter.......very very easy....can be eaten with any sidedish like chutneys, pickles etc etc

8. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Teach him SIMPLE TOMATO RICE......JUST IN OIL.....FRY ONIONS, TOMATOES AND GREEN CHILLIES...LITTLE SALT.grnish with fresh coriander ...... ....and ask him to mix with precooked rice

1 person likes this.
  9. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

If he likes BREAD UPMA......teach him.....its also simple..
    Grind bread in mixer finely....
    In little oil ....do tadka with mustard seeds, jeera, watever dhals he likes/available or just jeera and mustard enough....
    then fry finely choopped onions, green chillies........
    then finally mix the bread mixture and add finley chopped fresh coriander

10. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

Yes, Upma can be made & stays good for a week or so. Do all the procedure normally like roast semolina. Then add mustard seeds, udal daal, cut chillies & chopped onions to hot oil. Let the onions be absolutely translucent & brown. Then add salt roasted semolina. another minute or so & let the mixture cool. This can be stored in air-tight containers & can be cooked whenever needed by just adding hot water & cooking till water evaporates. My mom makes the mixture by adding peas, carrots, tomatoes too & it lasts equally longer. Its just like the ready to cook MTR upma.