1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My 15 month old baby not started walking Please Help

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Ooviya, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Ramyasri2012

Ramyasri2012 New IL'ite

Hi,

My doctor suggested us to give orange juice freshly squeezed to relieve constipation.
    You can try massaging her legs everyday.

2. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

I couldn't help but smile at your concern about weight, NOT in ridicule!! Why, you ask? My daughter is 2 and is 10.4 Kg. That's still in the 15th percentile for weight. Certainly, your daughter's weight is fine. But one cannot say much with just one weight point. How much did she weigh when she was born and how has her weight gain trend been? I explained all of this in a different post.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/infants/163743-ideal-weight-and-height-infants-2.html

Walking - my daughter was the same. She started walking full time at almost 16 months of age. At 15 months, we were very worried and wondered if she has sensory issues. We took her to a pediatric physical therapist who said that she didn't appear to have any, and to come back at 16 months if she didn't begin walking full-time. Also, the therapist mentioned that increasingly, at least here, 12-18 months range is the norm for those first independent and confident walks. How is she otherwise at the park, for instance? My daughter had a very healthy (unhealthy?) suspicion of swings and slides. It took both DH and me going with her and working on it for a full play session each to work it out. Some are just more cautious than the others.

There's NO reason to start her on cow's milk if you're still nursing her 5-6 times/day. Every nutrient is more bioavailable for a human infant from a human mother's milk than from a cow mother's milk.

Also, at this age, she should be eating just as we are, minus the obvious suspects like nuts, seeds, and popcorn. And even that, because they're a choking hazard, unless there are allergies in the family. Different doctors have different opinions on the issue of nuts and seeds. Consult yours.

Do give her fresh fruit. She needs to get fiber into her diet to combat constipation. And also to get much needed vitamins and minerals.

However, how do you know that she's constipated? Because she strains and produces pellets or because she doesn't go very often? She appears to be primarily breastfed. So, less than normal poo schedule is fine.

Do introduce a wider variety of foods into her diet. Introduce one thing, wait a couple of days to look for a reaction, and add one more, and more. If she spits it out the first time, leave her be and try it again in the next meal. It is said that it can take up to 50 times of giving a new food for a child to develop a taste for it. It can also take as few times as one. The younger you start with age-appropriate foods, the faster she'll develop a taste for them.

My daughter thinks that broccoli is the last word in foods now. And she eats cabbage raw. All of this may change tomorrow because who knows what a toddler will do next, but persistence is the key. Don't lose your patience. If she refuses it, take the plate away, and introduce it again in the next meal or day or week. She'll come around to it. Don't wait for the infamous "no" to come into the picture. Everything will become doubly hard.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  3. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

Thank you all.. today she walks well... yesterday .i met my pediatrician. he told wait upto her 17th months.. she will walk..she had lot of fear .. but today she walks frequently.. i felt happy..

he also told me to avoid more ghee and oily foods.. give more fruit juices to avoid constipation.. and gave a tonic for it one month..

he told give health drinks like junior horlicks etc.. what can i start for my 15months old kid?? she doesn't like cow's milk or pocket milk except breast milk..

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2012
  4. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Ooviya, when giving fruit juices, be sure that they're made fresh and with all the fiber.

Congratulations about the walking!!!

I didn't give DD cow's milk at that age. I started at around 17-18 months. You know how? One day, I was getting ready for class and wanted something to sustain me through the class that ran through dinner time. I mixed Horlicks and sat down to drink it. DD wanted some. Then some more. Before I knew it, she downed all of it. Catch her at a time when she's hungry but not too hungry. Pretend that you're not offering her any. Don't even ask her if she wants it. It may take several days of your downing it all, but she'll come around to it.

5. tranquility

tranquility Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ooviya,
    I cannot actually tell you to relax and not worry... we are mothers :) so we are going to be worried even if there's nothing... So its okay... congrats on your daughter's biggest milestone of walking. Now that she has confidence, she'll walk more..
    About constipation, like srama said, prune juice does wonders. Give her for two days (just 3-4 teaspoons thrice a day for two days) and her constipation will reduce considerably.
    What you say is true that breastmilk should not cause constipation but it could be some food or else the less amount of fluids in the body which is causing it..
    To try external milk, it will take time... won't happen overnight. So be patient. Start with giving her milk after dinner instead of water. Then wash it down with water. Initially she may take just 50 ml... No problem. Then from once a day you increase the frequency to twice a day (once after breakfast and once after dinner) and so on.. Try flavoured milk like adding strawberry or mango (nowadays its mango season)... She will definitely like the fruit shakes..

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2012
  6. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

Thank you so much for your detailled reply..she walks very well.. yesterday i went to a mall.. she walked very well.. she also likes it more.. prune juice means in tamil???

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2012
  7. tranquility

tranquility Bronze IL'ite

Ooviya,
    I don't know the tamil name for prunes. But actually prunes are dried plums (the red plums that you get in rainy season...) Hope this info helps...

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2012
  8. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

9. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear OOviya
    Check this for prune in Tamil